Cats

3 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Hey everyone, I have a male cat whom had some urinary blockage issues last week. Long story short, I had to take him to the hospital for a procedure so he could pee again. He was diagnosed with feline urethral obstruction. It's been one week since the procedure. He's acting odd again today, bouncing from litterbox to litterbox, and trying to go to the bathroom in odd places (on a blanket in the basement and the corner of a room right next to the upstairs litterbox). The thing is, he's actually peeing this time, whereas he could not pee last week which is why I took him to the hospital. It's not just a drop either. My thoughts are that he's in pain while peeing and can't get it all out in one go. He's been drinking more water and eating more wet food the past 12 hours or so, and I think he just has to pee more than he's had to recently and it's painful.

I've called the vet and animal hospital I took him to and they agreed. Though did warn me to keep an eye out on him to make sure he is producing pee as he could become blocked again.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this or any thoughts? Thank you.

That's actually a fairly common problem... is he on a therapeutic diet now? Because for the most part these help a lot. Do you have more cats? The trick now is to do what they told you: monitor and make sure he is in fact peeing rather than just squeezing out a few drops. Also, for what it's worth, some cats do have a predisposition to these blockages. Hopefully it's not the case w/ your cat, but for future reference, the behaviour you describe is typical. Trying to pee in odd places and going from one spot to another - so it's something to watch out for. 

Another thing is, in some cases - many, in fact, stress plays a huge part. Moving to a new house, new people in the house... and sometimes, for some individuals, something as innocuous as moving the furniture around the house, can trigger an episode.

When in doubt, talk to your vet. :)

@Seli, I am very sorry for your loss. And yes, I also agree, a final good gift. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Giomax said:

I have two boys, ages 12 years and 3 years.

My older cat is my best friend and has been for over a decade. 

The younger one is sweet and beautiful and he balances it all out by being a crazy a-hole.

Love your avi!!! 

On 12/4/2017 at 3:08 PM, Seli said:

I just said goodbye to my cat, it is so weird. If feels both like a betrayal and a final good gift.

He had been in decline for a while, thinking back. But things went rapidly in the last few months. First pneumonia, some weird growth in his abdomen, and some weight loss. The pneumonia got to a very heavy intensive care worthy case despite anti-biotics, but a very aggressive treatment seemed to help a bit. He did not stop losing weight though. And the growth in his abdomen was increasing in size.

He did have some more nice months, of treats, whipped cream, nice food. But kept losing even more weight, some coordination, and it seemed more and more himself and his comfort.

But fuck. It still hurts.

Very sorry for your loss. I find myself in a similar situation with my parents' cat, though I am hopeful things will improve, at least for a time.

My parents have 2 cats and a dog, but I've taking care of them for nearly 2 months now, because they've temporarily relocated to an apartment in a different city, and they can't have pets there.

Anyway, the older cat, going on 12 years old, is doing badly this week. I took him to the vet first thing Monday morning, after he didn't eat or even drink water the whole weekend. He had a lot of liquid built around his lungs, compressing his lungs, and making it hard to breathe. The vet said his temp was also really low for a cat. Liquid is still gathering there, despite the vet having taken out like half a cup, and it may be a cancerous thing. I'm not entirely sure what it is.

I would have thought he still had a few years in him, but if this thing is a cancer, I think we won't have him with us for long. I hope we get to spend at least this Christmas with him.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Very sorry for your loss. I find myself in a similar situation with my parents' cat, though I am hopeful things will improve, at least for a time.

My parents have 2 cats and a dog, but I've taking care of them for nearly 2 months now, because they've temporarily relocated to an apartment in a different city, and they can't have pets there.

Anyway, the older cat, going on 12 years old, is doing badly this week. I took him to the vet first thing Monday morning, after he didn't eat or even drink water the whole weekend. He had a lot of liquid built around his lungs, compressing his lungs, and making it hard to breathe. The vet said his temp was also really low for a cat. Liquid is still gathering there, despite the vet having taken out like half a cup, and it may be a cancerous thing. I'm not entirely sure what it is.

I would have thought he still had a few years in him, but if this thing is a cancer, I think we won't have him with us for long. I hope we get to spend at least this Christmas with him.

The best wishes, I hope you have a bit better luck than we did. Fingers crossed.

My cat also had a too low temperature reading. But at that stage also had blood tests that were consistent with an infection. At the end the vet was still puzzled about the set of symptoms and the progress of the disease.

Sorry to say, but the cat has passed away. It was some type of lymphoma that he had. Too bad we didn't see the early symptoms.

This will be a shitty Christmas. :crying:

Edit: I can't tell if the other cat misses him or not. They weren't necessarily the best of buds, but they'd lived together for several years. 

• 1 month later...

Currently in the process of trying to adopt a second cat.

During the Christmas holidays, my younger brother visited and brought his cat with him. After the mandatory 2 days of hissing at each other, my and his cat then spent the next couple weeks playing and having a great time. After he left she was very upset.

So I decided to get her another friend to hang out with.

Currently waiting on a call back for a five month old I want to adopt. They said they'd call back tomorrow with a yes or no answer. So fingers crossed!

So after 3 days Minerva (Minnie) has turned out to be a great addition to the family. She's 5 months old, and we lucked out that the family we adopted her from already had dogs and a toddler. So Minerva is very tolerant of the 18 m/o child and gets on well with Lacy, our dog.

We showed her where the litter box was located, and we haven't had a single accident since she moved in. 

The only hiccup was the two days of hissing between her and Lucipurr, as they decided among themselves who owned what. But I guess they came to an agreement last night, because this morning they were willing to play together, and I haven't heard a single hiss all day.

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

So after 3 days Minerva (Minnie) has turned out to be a great addition to the family. She's 5 months old, and we lucked out that the family we adopted her from already had dogs and a toddler. So Minerva is very tolerant of the 18 m/o child and gets on well with Lacy, our dog.

We showed her where the litter box was located, and we haven't had a single accident since she moved in. 

The only hiccup was the two days of hissing between her and Lucipurr, as they decided among themselves who owned what. But I guess they came to an agreement last night, because this morning they were willing to play together, and I haven't heard a single hiss all day.

Awww. Awesome. After the initial semi-mandatory hissing contest, it's always better for a cat/pet to have the company of another of the same species. Happy to hear they're already playing, 2 days of hissing is not much at all, sometimes it goes on for weeks! :D

My Siamese cat I'd had 21 years I thought would be my last cat when we lost her last year.  We ended up finding a 1.5 year old female Russian Blue, and she's been fantastic.  Very quiet though.  She's been easy to train however, she came from an abusive environment, she belonged to a 90 year old man with alzheimer's, whose children had got her in hopes of helping him out emotionally.  He mistreated her, although it wasn't really his fault.  She spent the first days hiding under beds, and one day just came out, jumped up on me, and began pushing and purring.  We've been extremely gentel with her, over the top in fact, and she's really responded, and hasn't scratched, hissed, or bitten once, despite being very apprehensive about everything from sounds to lights coming on.

She's been a lot of work, but the rewards have been worth it, she's upside down on the bed by my office desk, wanting her stomach pet right now.

Not normally a cat person but my grandmother just got one so I’m pursuing this thread to know a bit more about them. Just reading through for now as i’ll not meet the little feline until later today, at which point I can report on breed etc. 

Also, this video, for your entertainment

So glad that things are working out for everyone in the thread. :love: 

We had a brief scare with one of our cats right before Christmas. Both cats stopped eating for a day or two, but one recovered and the other didn't. A long story short, the cat recovered but we discovered that she has hyperthyroidism. So now we get to rub drugs into her ears twice a day. She's doing quite well, though. 

25 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'm sure she hates that.

She did, but then we started offering treats after applying the drugs, so now she grudgingly tolerates the application of drugs before chasing one of us into the kitchen while demanding her reward.

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I'm sure she hates that.

It's surprising what a cat will tolerate when they sense their life is on the line.  I had a perfectly marked Tuxedo cat who had renal failure at about 5 years of age.  Luckily one of my employees at the range I owned and operated at the time's actual full time job was being a vet - Dr Marty in Calgary, he's famous for running 2 vet places, one in the low income area of Calgary where he treats many local pets for free.  Anyhow, he taught me how to do the subcutaneous needle insertions and run 1 liter bags of fluid into my cat daily, as well as get her to orally take meds.  That cat would rarely if every volunteer to be picked up, everything was always on her terms only in terms of contact.  That changed when she got sick, she would roll on her side on the floor at look at me when she saw the IV fluid bag and needle, would gently meow when I picked her up, and purr while she sat motionless on my lap as I would run the line into her, and blow her up like a water balloon. 

It astonished us at the time, how much she altered her "rules" in order to have a fighting chance.  She lived another 6 years, after doing that for 2 month and the meds jump started her renal functions again.

3 hours ago, Mr. X said:

She did, but then we started offering treats after applying the drugs, so now she grudgingly tolerates the application of drugs before chasing one of us into the kitchen while demanding her reward.

And here was I being facetious.  Guinness used to love a good ear rub.

I have two cats, Rattus and Baby Sniffs.

Both are house cats. Rattus is a naughty little rat bastard who goes on midnight adventures in the wardrobe.

Baby Sniffs is very poorly, he has heart failure, hes only 3 years old. I dont think we will have him much longer the poor little guy. Hes a good boy though, unlike Rattus McRatface.

Archived