Technology in ASOIAF

KingStannisFan

I know it wouldn't be the same story, but there's at least 12,000 years of "civilization" and it seems technology doesn't advance much at all? People must be really stupid in this world.

In the Fable games it advances. For instance Fable III takes place in an industrial age setting despite being a fairytale.

Well in real life humans have been around for 200,000 years, depending on what you believe, and only a few thousand years ago we invented writing, something that seems incredibly basic to us these days. It took us 196,000 years to invent writing, give or take, and the people of the ASOIAF world 12,000 to invent writing, medicine, astronomy, architecture, mathematics, and a whole lot more. If they're stupid what does that make us.

January 21, 2000

TECHNOLOGY IN WESTEROS

There is an aspect of a SOI&F (and all high/medieval fanatasy) which has me puzzled. Why is there so little technological procees? The Starks have been medieval lords and kings for millenia, and it seems that there is very little chance of Westeros ever progessing beyond a medieval society. Is this becuase the existence of magic inhibits or precludes linear technological progress?

Oh, I wouldn't go that far.

I don't know that "linear technological progress" is necessarily inevitable in a society. In fact, if you look at our real world, it only happened once. Other cultures and societies existed for hundreds and in some cases thousands of years without ever experiencing major technological change.

In the specific case of Westeros, the unpredictable nature of the seasonal changes and the harshness of the winters must play a role.

I do think that magic perhaps makes development of the scientific method less likely. If men can fly by means of a spell, do you ever get the Wright Brothers? Or even daVinci? An interesting question, and I'm not sure I know the answer.

agree with op. was wondering along the same lines. 

since the dawn age, there has been no progress. They made some dragon magic stuff, but it's been the middle ages forever.

More over, the maesters seem to know of concepts well beyond their time. In the world book, there are many scientific concepts mentioned that could be used for making better technology or could only be learnt in a world with better technology. 

This could be a part of the world the "maesters are building"

I've often thought there was a higher technology in Valyria and that led to the Doom nothing is known there of what exactly happened hardly anyone can work with their steel etc I mean sure it could have been just a bunch of jerks aying with wildfire or dragons going off. But I would bet they were technolically advanced and some tragedy occurred of course that's just my opinion

there are remains of more advanced civilisations all around

seastone chair, mazes

valyrian ruins are perhaps the most recent

seeing events at distances, or long distance communication is a part of "higher mysteries" to the maesters

we have seen skinchangers, direwolves, giants, the others or their servants, cotf... all these some of the maesters say don't exist

there are books, but people don't read, and almost think of reading as magic

The Pearl Palace in the Summer Isles hoards maps and does not share it with anyone.

maybe technology and magic is the same thing to the maesters

I know it wouldn't be the same story, but there's at least 12,000 years of "civilization" and it seems technology doesn't advance much at all? People must be really stupid in this world.

In the Fable games it advances. For instance Fable III takes place in an industrial age setting despite being a fairytale.

On the other hand, in the real world, 12,000 years ago we were just getting around to domesticating the goat. It would be a couple of hundred years until anyone started planting grains and writing wasn't in use until the Bronze Age, 5,000 years ago.

Most of our technological advances have been made only in the last 500 years. Technology just blossomed starting about the 1500s--the plow, new architecture methods, new tools for astronomy and medicine (telescope, compound microscope), the pencil, new types of looms and spinning equipment, and many more items transformed culture and society quite rapidly.

The folks on Planetos just haven't had their late middle ages boom yet, I suppose.

there are remains of more advanced civilisations all around

seastone chair, mazes

valyrian ruins are perhaps the most recent

seeing events at distances, or long distance communication is a part of "higher mysteries" to the maesters

we have seen skinchangers, direwolves, giants, the others or their servants, cotf... all these some of the maesters say don't exist

there are books, but people don't read, and almost think of reading as magic

The Pearl Palace in the Summer Isles hoards maps and does not share it with anyone.

maybe technology and magic is the same thing to the maesters

Remember GRRMs inspirations besides Tolkein's style of high fantasy and it will come into focus. Those are Lovecraft's style of ancient alien horrors and Howard's sword and sorcery fantasy.

The legends of maze builders, beings that come out of the sea to attack people in ancient times, the people with webbing between fingers, etc. are material that connects to Lovecraftian horror.

The legends and history of places like Asshai, Yin Ti, Gris, etc., the Dothraki, the Freecities, skinchangers (though they also have some inspiration from high fantasy) and incredible power of relics, all draw inspiration from Howard's works (specifically Conan).

Technology won't develop more until the different continents get in touch. 

If we are to compare "Planetos" (I think it is called this way in the forum) with our Earth, then we could assume that Westeros lacks  the mathematical/magic knowledge of the" scientists" from Essos, because they have been able to raise several pyramidal structures, whereas in Westeros they can only build castles in high mountains or The Wall, but they had giants!

Who knows if people from Asshai, Yi Ti or even other unexplored areas they don't even know yet, are more technologically developed? I know this is a different story but I  recall the situation in Europe in the beginnings of the last millennium, while China already had gunpowder missiles, compass, watertight ships, modern printing, etc.

The premise of the OP just isn't right. There's plenty of mention of new technology and culture arising throughout the series. And the people who lived in the Dawn Age were not feudal lords -- we've seen that Westeros has become increasingly consolidated over several thousand years. The original First Men were likely just hunter-gatherer groups, and we know they eventually became petty kings that used bronze weapons. The situation described reminds me more of Gilgamesh's time period than medieval times. And the gap between then and now is likely several thousand years, like the gap between Gilgamesh's time and medieval times.

What's unbelievable about the aSoIaF timeline is that families are rumored to have existed in unbroken lines for thousands of years, and even to have held house rivalries for as long. My guess is that those chronologies are mythical.

Well in real life humans have been around for 200,000 years, depending on what you believe, and only a few thousand years ago we invented writing, something that seems incredibly basic to us these days. It took us 196,000 years to invent writing, give or take, and the people of the ASOIAF world 12,000 to invent writing, medicine, astronomy, architecture, mathematics, and a whole lot more. If they're stupid what does that make us.

The most important part of that was the thousands of years of slow progress making agriculture a bit more viable, writing and other technological advancement cannot come before that.

What's unbelievable about the aSoIaF timeline is that families are rumored to have existed in unbroken lines for thousands of years, and even to have held house rivalries for as long. My guess is that those chronologies are mythical.

Deinitely. That's something incredibly common.

The hittites for example made up a 200,000 years chronology. Roman families went back to Troy and the (greek) gods. European royalty went back towards biblical ancestors.

All of it made up.

Far too many.

And even more seem incapable of perceiving the difference between Stone Age and early Renaissance as technological advancement.

Indeed.

We see their castle building skills, weaponry, metal working, medicine, armor crafting, and no doubt many other things, improve slowly.

It's really not that much of a stretch (And no doubt the seasons and magic play a part) once you fix the timelines.

Archived