Wow I Never Noticed That V.12

Please allow me to go first...

For half a moon, they rode through the Forest of Qohor, where the leaves made a golden canopy high above them, and the trunks of the trees were as wide as city gates. There were great elk in that wood, and spotted tigers, and lemurs with silver fur and huge purple eyes, but all fled before the approach of the khalasar and Dany got no glimpse of them.

Daenerys III, Game 23

It occurs to me now that the lemurs could have been a veiled hint at Aegon. A lemur is a akin to a monkey. The only other monkey I can think of is the one in Renly's camp. So, the monkey dances for a mummer, no? It would work better if I could figure out how to relate the great elk andcthe spotted tiger to Varys and Illyrio or the merry band aboard the Shy Maid. But I can't so c'est la vie.

Please allow me to go first...

Daenerys III, Game 23

It occurs to me now that the lemurs could have been a veiled hint at Aegon. A lemur is a akin to a monkey. The only other monkey I can think of is the one in Renly's camp. So, the monkey dances for a mummer, no? It would work better if I could figure out how to relate the great elk and the spotted tiger to Varys and Illyrio or the merry band aboard the Shy Maid. But I can't so c'est la vie.

These lemurs are also nicknamed "Little Valyrians" for their coloring!

In regards to the "spotted tiger," how is it the saying goes? "when a leopard changes its spots/when a tiger changes its stripes?" If the text is supposed to conjure the image of that saying, i.e. someone changing sides, maybe it alludes to Illyrio eventually supporting Daenerys instead of Viserys, or Aegon over Daenerys (or vice versa?).

Also, take a note of where Qohor is on the map. It might be that the khalasar passed up the Shy Maid at some point, even if from the distance, but "Dany got no glimpse of them."

The tiger is Illyrio's symbol...

GoT Arya III:

"If one Hand can die, why not a second?" replied the man with the accent and the forked yellow beard. "You have danced the dance before, my friend." He was no one Arya had ever seen before, she was certain of it. Grossly fat, yet he seemed to walk lightly, carrying his weight on the balls of his feet as a water dancer might. His rings glimmered in the torchlight, red-gold and pale silver, crusted with rubies, sapphires, slitted yellow tiger eyes. Every finger wore a ring; some had two"

ASoS Dany I:

"Those are Illyrio's tiger skins," she objected.

"And Illyrio is a friend to House Targaryen."

Tyrion in ADWD: Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I'd need a cleaver to claim them."

It seems that tiger skin is a metaphor of false friend, traitor and unloyalty...

Illyrio wears tiger eye rings ( by the way my favourite mineral )

Euron seduced Ironborn captains with tiger pelts

Quarteen wear tiger skins..

When he got out from under it and scrambled up near the sky, Bran could see all of Winterfell in a glance. He liked the way it looked, spread out beneath him, only birds wheeling over his head while all the life of the castle went on below. Bran could perch for hours among the shapeless, rain-worn gargoyles that brooded over the First Keep, watching it all: the men drilling with wood and steel in the yard, the cooks tending their vegetables in the glass garden, restless dogs running back and forth in the kennels, the silence of the godswood, the girls gossiping beside the washing well. It made him feel like he was lord of the castle, in a way even Robb would never know.

Robb was never the Lord of Winterfell in Winterfell, nor King in the North in the North. He spent all his time in the south, with Riverrun as his unofficial capital. Bran was one holding Winterfell the whole time. Heck, Robb wasn't even born in Winterfell; but Bran was.

I never noticed that Joffrey was also the name of Rhaenyra Targaryen's third son. No idea why Robert agreed to that.

It seems Joffrey is a Stormlands name. Rhaenyra's son was named after Ser Joffrey Lonmouth, Laenor's best friend (and likely lover) who died during their wedding tourney. Laenor actually wants to name a name after Joffrey Lonmouth from the beginning, but his father Corlys the Sea Snake refused; he wanted his grandsons to have traditional Valyrians and only relented the third time around.

I never noticed that Joffrey was also the name of Rhaenyra Targaryen's third son. No idea why Robert agreed to that.

He must have been away hunting when it happened, and was too drunk to notice, when he returned? ;)

Yes, Rhaenyra had three children with her first husband: Jacaerys, Lucerys, and Joffrey, and all of them were thought to be bastards from another man. Cersei much? :P

Old Nan was a mind reader...

"It was just a lie," he said bitterly, remembering the crow from his dream. "I can't fly. I can't even run."

"Crows are all liars," Old Nan agreed, from the chair where she sat doing her needlework. "I know a story about a crow."

Bran IV, Game 24

Or maybe Bloodraven was wargin the old gal.

Something donal noye said to Jon in his first chapter at the wall-

"The road you're walking, one of your brothers will slit your throat for you one night."

Do you think this foreshadows a fight between Jon and Rickon or Sansa, or a fight between Jon and Aegon, or do you think it was just a simple waring about his attitude on the Wall?

Archived