Wow I Never Noticed That V.12

:)

Rhaenys was a child too. Prince Rhaegars daughter. A precious little thing, younger than your girls. She had a small black kitten she called Balerion, did you know? I always wondered what happened to him. Rhaenys liked to pretend he was the true Balerion, the Black Dread of old, but I imagine the Lannisters taught her the difference between a kitten and a dragon quick enough, the day they broke down her door.

Does Little Rhaenys have First Men blood? If not, and if she did slip into the cat, does that screw up the idea that only First men can skinchange?

Jaime saw green flames reaching up into the sky higher than the tallest towers, as burning men screamed in the streets.

I have dreamed this dream before.

It was almost funny, but there was no one to share the joke.

near the end of ASoS 31 Jaime IV

eta:

"Once they're dead they don't come back." "No, but others come in their places. [...]

near the top of ASoS 32 Tyrion IV

In aSoS, Jon IX, Jon first meets Janos Slynt. The very last thing that Janos says to Jon in that chapter/conversation is

"Your father died by the sword, but he was highborn, a King's Hand. For you, a noose will serve. Ser Alliser, take this turncloak to an ice cell."

Then, as we all know, Jon later condemns Janos to hang but then reconsiders and kills him with a sword. I didn't notice this the first read through, but I don't think if someone tried to have me executed I would forget what they had said. I'd wager this had something to do with his decision to behead Janos. Sort of taking on his Stark heritage while at the same time proving to himself that he is different than Janos.

Another one I noticed on my re-read. In aFfC, the chapter The Kraken's Daughter, Asha visits her Uncle in his Book Tower. She moves a stack of books and takes a seat at a table while talking to Rodrik Harlaw. And the chapter describes this:

...She stretched her long legs out beneath the table and turned the pages of the nearest book, a septon's discourse on Maegor the Cruel's war against the Poor Fellows.

This is interesting if you believe that the rise of the High Sparrow is part of a conspiracy. It is also worth mentioning that Rodrik had kept septons while they were still permitted in the Iron Islands and that many of the sparrows are depicted as carrying cudgels, which are also the traditional weapons carried by the drowned men of the iron islands. Though, theirs are made of drift wood.

Now I'm not saying who the high sparrow is or isn't. I'm just saying that I don't think that if there is a conspiracy to militarize the Faith as a means of destabilizing the reigning monarchy that it would be a coincidence that Rodrik has a book about strategies for suppressing such movements.

The only other reason I can see for him to have that book out is that he is aware of Damphair's potentially immanent religious/peasant uprising against Euron. Which would make way more sense but isn't as fun as a High Sparrow conspiracy.

Another one I noticed on my re-read. In aFfC, the chapter The Kraken's Daughter, Asha visits her Uncle in his Book Tower. She moves a stack of books and takes a seat at a table while talking to Rodrik Harlaw. And the chapter describes this:

This is interesting if you believe that the rise of the High Sparrow is part of a conspiracy. It is also worth mentioning that Rodrik had kept septons while they were still permitted in the Iron Islands and that many of the sparrows are depicted as carrying cudgels, which are also the traditional weapons carried by the drowned men of the iron islands. Though, theirs are made of drift wood.

Now I'm not saying who the high sparrow is or isn't. I'm just saying that I don't think that if there is a conspiracy to militarize the Faith as a means of destabilizing the reigning monarchy that it would be a coincidence that Rodrik has a book about strategies for suppressing such movements.

The only other reason I can see for him to have that book out is that he is aware of Damphair's potentially immanent religious/peasant uprising against Euron. Which would make way more sense but isn't as fun as a High Sparrow conspiracy.

I am totally willing to second this, just to see where it goes

Very nice catch. It fits with the history of the Iron Islands in TWOIAF.

Tower of Joy[2] was a round tower in the northern edge of the Red Mountains of Dorne.[1] It lay in the Prince's Pass,[3] with Kingsgrave (Dorne) to the south and Nightsong(Stormlands) to the north.[4]

LOL, did Rhaegar want to troll Robert and Elia both?

Oh wow, I never noticed that Marillion got off easy...

He planned an especially sharp lesson for Marillion, him of the woodharp and the sweet tenor voice, who was struggling so manfully to rhyme imp with gimp and limp so he could make a song of this outrage.

Tyrion IV, Game 31

ETA

And I never noticed that Tyrion broke Marillion's fingers during the skirmish with the Mountain Clans on the Highroad.

ETA II

And I never noticed that Ser Willis Wode was the man who urged Catelyn to slow their breakneck pace before the attack of the Mountain Clans, but then urged her to press on with all haste after the attack.

Okay, so I was re-reading the section of the World Book about Asshai and found this.

Then I remembered this

I wonder what a night-walker is.

Not sure i know what one is but I think we know a night-walker the woman with the mask who keeps appearing to danny in dreams and in projection seemingly using one of the obsedian candles (cant remember her name)

I knew that the story of the Valyrian sphinxes Tyrion and Illyrio come across are supposed to be parallel to Dany, Viserys and Drogo but then I noticed this:

The next evening they came upon a huge Valyrian sphinx crouched beside the road. It had a dragon's body and a woman's face.

"A dragon queen," said Tyrion. "A pleasant omen."

"Her king is missing." Illyrio pointed out the smooth stone plinth on which the second sphinx once stood, now grown over with moss and flowering vines. "The horselords built wooden wheels beneath him and dragged him back to Vaes Dothrak."

They put the statue in a cart. A cart king. :lol:

I knew that the story of the Valyrian sphinxes Tyrion and Illyrio come across are supposed to be parallel to Dany, Viserys and Drogo but then I noticed this:

They put the statue in a cart. A cart king. :lol:

Daenerys and Aegon. But I like your suggestion too. :)

Archived