Wow I Never Noticed That V.12

He got stabbed, he did not have his throat slit..

The main message remains the same though.. A warning that one day, his behavior could get him killed by one of his sworn brothers..

I feel like an idiot. My bad, I just read it again (maybe it's just my copy of the book) and it says he was lightly cut at the side of his neck.

He got stabbed, he did not have his throat slit..

The main message remains the same though.. A warning that one day, his behavior could get him killed by one of his sworn brothers..

I feel like an idiot. My bad, I just read it again (maybe it's just my copy of the book) and it says he was lightly cut at the side of his neck.

You are correct. Jon's neck did get cut, although Wick didn't manage to fully "slit" Jon's throat.

ADwD, Jon XIII:

When Wick Whittlestick slashed at his throat, the word turned into a grunt. Jon twisted from the knife, just enough so it barely grazed his skin. He cut me. When he put his hand to the side of his neck, blood welled between his fingers. "Why?"

Spoiler, his throat was cut by his brothers on the wall in his last chapter in ADWD.

I was wondering whether you thought this might support theories that Jon will fight Rickon, Sansa, or Aegon...

I'm on my third reread and just noticed that there may be a timeline error in the Tyrion/Tysha/Jamie story. In the story Tyrion is 13 years old. Oberyn tells Tyrion that he and his syster went with their mother to visit Casterly Rock around the time that Jamie and Cercei are 8 or 9. Tyrion had just been born at this time or was still a baby anyway. If Tyrion was 13 at the time of the whole Tysha incident, then Jamie would have been at least 20 or 21. He would have been in the KG in kings landing or off fighting the outlaws or anywhere but near casterly rock because Aerys liked to keep him close. I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I didn't take the time to read through the previous 11 threads.

also, sorry about the poor grammar and spelling.

I'm on my third reread and just noticed that there may be a timeline error in the Tyrion/Tysha/Jamie story. In the story Tyrion is 13 years old. Oberyn tells Tyrion that he and his syster went with their mother to visit Casterly Rock around the time that Jamie and Cercei are 8 or 9. Tyrion had just been born at this time or was still a baby anyway. If Tyrion was 13 at the time of the whole Tysha incident, then Jamie would have been at least 20 or 21. He would have been in the KG in kings landing or off fighting the outlaws or anywhere but near casterly rock because Aerys liked to keep him close. I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I didn't take the time to read through the previous 11 threads.

also, sorry about the poor grammar and spelling.

Tyrion was born in 273 AC, Jaime in 266 AC.. When Tyrion was 13 years old (286/287 AC), Aerys had been dead for a few years...

Oberyn's account, however entertaining, cannot be trusted where it comes down to numbers... There are inconsistencies in his story, which all point to the fact that Oberyn hadn't been that interested at the time, and thus hadn't cared to remember eaxctly when and what.

Ghost's eyes were the first of the litter to be open. Meaning bloodraven warged him first

Others believe this to be an indication that Jon is more observant than his "siblings." Some that believe this is another nod to Jon's status as the special snowflake. Also note that Shaggydog's eyes are green and the eyes of the rest are gold, and that we learn the CotF's eyes are gold except special ones have green eyes and extra special ones have red eyes.

Ok, so I haven't gone through all the previous versions of this thread to see if anyone else has noticed this before. But I literally just started a re-read of A Game Of Thrones and it hit me like a brick...

In Bran's first chapter, after the Night's Watch deserter Gared has been executed by Eddard, and Robb and Jon have raced off ahead, Bran is left thinking to himself when his father rides up beside him. Eddard is explaining to Bran why the Night's Watch deserter needed to be executed and why he himself as Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North dispensed the justice rather than having an executioner do it for him.

"The blood of the First Men flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his last words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die."

The next part is the part that struck me...

"One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your King, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hids behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Ok so I probably didn't need to quote all of that, but I thought it really interesting the way Ned refers to Robb and Bran as a ruler. "holding a keep of your own for your brother and your King".

Does this allude to Robb being King. Or could it also allude to Bran being a ruler and bannerman to his "brother and your King" Jon?

Hahaha! I'm sure I am just reading too much into it, but I thought the wording interesting nonetheless!

Robert Baratheon and Brandon Stark were born in the same year that Aerys succeeded to the throne.

AWoIaF:

Not even the wisest could have known that Aerys II would in time be known as the Mad King, nor that his reign would ultimately put an end to near three centuries of Targaryen rule in Westeros. Yet even as Aerys donned his crown, in that fateful year of 262 AC, a lusty blackhaired son named Robert had just been born to his cousin Steffon Baratheon and his lady wife at Storm's End, whilst far to the north at Winterfell, Lord Rickard Stark celebrated the birth of his own son, Brandon. Another Stark, Eddard, followed within a year. All three of these infants, would, in the fullness of time, play crucial roles in the downfall of the dragons.

From ASoS, page 226 (my version--basically the second page of the CAtelyn chapter after the Karstarks kill Tion Frey and Willem Lannister):

"Were they good dreams, brother? Do you dream of sunlight and laughter and a maiden's kisses? I pray you do. Her own dreams were dark and laced with terrors."

Sound familiar? I'm tempted to start yet another re-read campaign to try and spot connections between Cat and Mel.

From ASoS, page 226 (my version--basically the second page of the CAtelyn chapter after the Karstarks kill Tion Frey and Willem Lannister):

"Were they good dreams, brother? Do you dream of sunlight and laughter and a maiden's kisses? I pray you do. Her own dreams were dark and laced with terrors."

Sound familiar? I'm tempted to start yet another re-read campaign to try and spot connections between Cat and Mel.

And notice that the dark and laced with terrors is preceded by a kiss, so perhaps a foreshadowing of Beric's kiss?

WoW sample chapter:

LF is not only attempting to marry Sansa off to Harry the Heir to ally her politically to the Vale. He is attempting to block Harry from potentionally marrying a rival's daughter.

Ser Harrold had the grace to blush. “Her father says she is more precious to him than gold. He’s rich, the richest man in Gulltown. A fortune in spices.”

Littlefinger commonly associates with merchants and seems to be helping them rise to prominence.

ACoK, Tyrion IV:

"He moved his own men into place. The Keepers of the Keys were his, all four. The King's Counter and the King's Scales were men he named. The officers in charge of all three mints. Harbormasters, tax farmers, customs sergeants, wool factors, toll collectors, pursers, wine factors; nine of every ten belonged to Littlefinger. They were men of middling birth, by and large, merchants' sons, lesser lordlings, sometimes even foreigners, but judging from the results, far more able than their highborn predecessors."

The second Lady Corbray was sixteen, the daughter of a wealthy Gulltown merchant...

ACoK, Tyrion XI:

The eunuch handed him a scroll. "So much villainy, it sings a sad song for our age. Did honor die with our fathers?"

"My father is not dead yet." Tyrion scanned the list. "I know some of these names. These are rich men. Traders, merchants, craftsmen. Why should they conspire against us?"
"It seems they believe that Lord Stannis must win, and wish to share his victory. They call themselves the Antler Men, after the crowned stag."

I ascribe to another theory that these "Antler Men" were merely Littlefinger's Men.

Let's look at that quote from Sansa's sample chapter again.

Ser Harrold had the grace to blush. “Her father says she is more precious to him than gold. He’s rich, the richest man in Gulltown. A fortune in spices.”

Spices... As in "spice lords and cheese kings?

ADwD, Tyrion I:

It was all profit with the merchant princes of the Free Cities. "Spice soldiers and cheese lords," his lord father called them, with contempt.

ADwD, Tyrion III:

And when Tyrion had reminded him that in ten days he would be a man grown, free to travel where he wished, Lord Tywin had said, "No man is free. Only children and fools think elsewise. Go, by all means. Wear motley and stand upon your head to amuse the spice lords and the cheese kings.

ADwD, Tyrion I:
"I am loath to play whatever part the cheesemonger has in mind for me..."

ADwD, Tyrion I:
"You mentioned a bath? We must not keep the great cheesemonger waiting."

ADwD, Tyrion I:
"Kinslayer or no, I am a lion still." That seemed to amuse the lord of cheese no end.

Littlefinger knows enough to know that Saffron's father is allied in some way to Varys and Illyrio.

Most certainly this has been here before:

Stone, I must be stone, I must be Casterly Rock, hard and unmovable.
If I fail this test, I had as lief seek out the nearest grotesquerie.

ACoK 54 Tyrion XII

Greyscaly?

And joining not the nearest but eventually Dany's grotesquerie.

Most certainly this has been here before:

ACoK 54 Tyrion XII

Greyscaly?

And joining not the nearest but eventually Dany's grotesquerie.

I used to think suggestions that Tyrion was Bran's third shadow were a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but there are plenty of hints. The problem is I just don't see how Tyrion is a threat to the Starks. Gregor doesn't fit right either. I think it has to be Petyr.

ETA

Dareon, the dude Jon sent off with Samwell in Feast, was the first to notice Ser Piggy enter the yard at Castle Black.

ETA II

Winter can come without snow south of the Blackwater since Samwell Tarly never saw snow before he arrived in the North.

Norwegians have a saying "det går troll i ord" - trolls walk through words. I found two in the last sentence:

On their iron spikes atop the gatehouse, the heads waited.

Theon gazed at them silently while the wind tugged on his cloak with small ghostly hands. The miller's boys had been of an age with Bran and Rickon, alike in size and coloring, and once Reek had flayed the skin from their faces and dipped their heads in tar, it was easy to see familiar features in those misshapen lumps of rotting flesh. People were such fools. If we'd said they were rams' heads, they would have seen horns.

end of ACoK 56 Theon V

Ramsay-Reek is mentioned the sentence before, though Theon knows only Reek yet and yet thinks of rams' heads. And of horns, trolling the yet unknown Ramsay.

Archived