HBO The Leftovers Season 2

kairparavel

The reveal of season 1 was kind of silly to me....manikins?.... really? .... but overall it was not enough to chase me away.... I'll be back for season 2.

.... and Nora = Giggity

They weren't mannequins, they were "real dolls" made to look exactly like the people who disappeared. 

I saw the first couple of episodes of season 1 and I liked it. But at the time I didn't have HBO so I didn't get any further. I read the book which was great and I am interested in season 2 because it doesn't seem to follow the book from the glimpses in the previews.

I now have HBO. Do I need to see the rest of season 1 or can I just jump into season 2?

If you read the book, the season was really similar to the book, except for the ending with Garvey's son. I wont spoiler the difference in case you want to watch. 

Carrie Coon is enough to keep me watching. Amazing how few shows/movies she's been in. She must do a lot of theater work.

Right?! I absolutely loved her in season 1. The only other thing I've seen her in is Gone Girl, which she was also great in.

• 1 month later...

I hope they don't leave the plot threads from the first season hanging. I want to know what the hell was going on with the 'free hugs' dude for a start

That trailer looks even better than the first one. Can't wait for October!

Relocation is likely a good idea and from the trailer it looks like they're going to dive straight in to religion, which makes sense.

I'm not sure what to expect about season 2 in certain aspects. The trailers and interviews are all about the miracle town, new cast and the anti-cult Garveys - and I am excited about that (not differently than most of the viewers, I'm excited about Nora specially). What concerns me is the lack of pro-cult Garveys in everything. I hope that Lindelof has something Lost-esque and secretive to it, a plan, something... I mean...

[spoiler] What would Laurie do? She was a mess before the GR and looked worse after, is she going to go back to her old self just because Tommy is in town? About Tommy, what's up with that scene (1st trailer) that appears to be him joining the GR? The only plausible thing I can think of is that he's infiltrated at his mom's concerns, I mean... He just got out of a stick situation with a cult, is he really that dumb? Maybe Laurie feels responsible towards Meg? Honestly, I don't know. But whatever happens in Mapleton, I just hope that it actually happens during the season. My real fear and what I'm worried is that we will see them for just the first couple of episodes and that's it.[/spoilers]

Anyways, I'm counting the days. I love everything about the show. I think that a lot of it's imperfections and what people mostly complain about is what makes The Leftovers so appealing to me. The eerie, dreary, melancholic mood of everyone and everything. The lack of humor (which when it happens, sometimes unknowingly, becomes much more special). How the show uses it's universe full of cults, crazy(?) people and coincidences out of this world more like a background than the main plot... Let's be honest, the whole season was cathartic and had a feeling of pay-off just because we cared way too much about the characters and if they would feel a moment of happiness again. For me that's a good thing. About that...

[spoiler]Will we ever... 1) See NatGeo magazine again? 2) Know more about Dean or if he is the one Kevin Sr's "friends" sent? 3) Continue to see Kevin Jr crazy? He was pretty much out of his mind, at least I don't think that's going to go away soon (Patti! :smoking:). 4) Know what the freaking fuck Laurie was thinking (flashbacking?) in her first scene in the pilot. We had IIRC four of those. Kevin Sr running naked (then the loony bin), Kevin Jr cheating (oh, the guilt), Tommy seeing two colleagues killing themselves jumping off a building (magical hugs it is, then) and Laurie... Kids fighting. What's up with that? There are mysteries and there are bad storytelling. I just need to know which is which ASAP. [/spoiler]
The truth is that I'm sure I'll love it. If I have Christopher Eccleston, Carrie Coon and Ann Dowd in a white room playing "the first to blink loses" as Max Richter's November is playing, I know I'm gonna go nuts for it.

I guess the opening scene woman was just our view to the departure, she never resurfaced after the bar scene in episode one. Also, it sucks Amy and the twins won't be around this year. They could always make their way back to Mapleton for season 3 I guess.

That woman appeared again in ep 9 and 10 (all crazy with the gun when Kevin comes back to town). I remember thinking that she would be much more prominent because all the promos gave her importance.

I'll miss Amy. I really liked her character, she was much more than an eye-candy and temptation for Kevin IMO. The way she moved out was really sad.

That woman appeared again in ep 9 and 10 (all crazy with the gun when Kevin comes back to town). I remember thinking that she would be much more prominent because all the promos gave her importance.
I'll miss Amy. I really liked her character, she was much more than an eye-candy and temptation for Kevin IMO. The way she moved out was really sad.

Cool. I just strated my rewatch last night, tbh by the time the 1st season ended I had forgot what she looked like.

Archived