Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

To Garbad from previous thread

3.  Not all at once, at various times they could have adjusted though.  IE, offer for robb after he was TKOTN.  I agree dorne is locked in, but others should be swayed by offers.  Why not make them, particularly compared with the cost (dany was otherwise thrown away for nothing).

4.  The high priest.  There is clearly a hierarchy with operational goals (ie, convert king robert).  Finding the chosen one of the lord is pretty important news.  Why not send a messenger and 1) ask for military help and/or 2) at least inform them and let them advise.

5.  Could be.

6.  He would be responsible for his bannerman regardless.

7.  To me at least it defies belief that dragons being reborn wouldn't be mentioned.  This isn't the other side of the world, all have contacts/spies.  And as busy as robb was pounding that sweet, sweet volantine booty he could spare 5 minutes for news that literally changes the course of history.  It seems impossible to suppress or ignore this magnitude of news.

8.  But not a stark.

People in Westeros start believing the Dany / dragon rumours by the start of book 4, and the Small Council accepts it by the end of Dance. The news has not made it from Qarth and then Meereen in solid enough form before then.

I never made the connection that the gravedigger was the hound until I read it on the forums. I thought he was still alive, but I just didn't notice. 

At this point that's still just a theory, as the one time he's mentioned in A Feast For Crows doesn't say if his face was covered or turned away when Brienne saw him, so we don't know if she saw someone bigger than her with an unburned face, or bigger than her with a face she can't see for some reason.

At this point that's still just a theory, as the one time he's mentioned in A Feast For Crows doesn't say if his face was covered or turned away when Brienne saw him, so we don't know if she saw someone bigger than her with an unburned face, or bigger than her with a face she can't see for some reason.

Well, Martin said we would see Sandor in the fifth book.

I also asked if Sandor would be in the upcoming book. He pleaded the fifth.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1320

On the way to the godswood, believing that some white knight would take her home, Sansa contemplated suicide...

Sansa threw a plain grey cloak over her shoulders and picked up the knife she used to cut her meat. If it is some trap, better that I die than let them hurt me more, she told herself. She hid the blade under her cloak.

Sansa II, Clash 18

Would she have done it if it had been an entrapment?

7.  To me at least it defies belief that dragons being reborn wouldn't be mentioned.  This isn't the other side of the world, all have contacts/spies.  And as busy as robb was pounding that sweet, sweet volantine booty he could spare 5 minutes for news that literally changes the course of history.  It seems impossible to suppress or ignore this magnitude of news.

You're mixing up show and books here.

Qarth/Slaver's bay is far far away, and all they hear at first is about a "three-headed dragon being born" and stuff, of course they're not going to believe that, they only see the problems right in front of them, kinda why Americans don't believe in climate change.

On the way to the godswood, believing that some white knight would take her home, Sansa contemplated suicide...

Sansa II, Clash 18

Would she have done it if it had been an entrapment?

Totally missed that. I thought she took the knife to defend herself.

Is Illyrio dying?

GRRM depicts Yezzan zo Qoggaz and Illyrio both as morbidly obese and having difficulty holding their water, as well as associates the color yellow with the two characters. Yezzan contracted a disease from Sothoros, so his weight need not depict how feeble he is. (Unless weight gain, increased appetite, and frequent urination is a symptom of the disease? If so, perhaps the two shared the same disease?)

If this is true, perhaps this is why Illyrio sounded "strangely sad" when Duck, Haldon, and Tyrion departed. He's been plotting for over a decade to put Aegon on the throne only to potentially die before he can see it finished.

Illyrio sounded sad because he wanted to see his son fAegon. I doubt he is dying anytime soon, he is just fat.

I remember reading that Waymar Royce's sword is among the treasures left by the wildlings when they cross on the other side of the Wall.

I don't believe you, since I'm pretty sure his sword was shattered by the WW sword and a chunk of steel went into his eye, which ended the fight. Then we get a nice description of his blind eye as zombie Royce strangles the prologue POV.

Illyrio sounded sad because he wanted to see his son fAegon. I doubt he is dying anytime soon, he is just fat.

I wonder if the Braavosi will make any move against Pentosh. Something could happen then.

I don't believe you, since I'm pretty sure his sword was shattered by the WW sword and a chunk of steel went into his eye, which ended the fight. Then we get a nice description of his blind eye as zombie Royce strangles the prologue POV.

I think the sword in question was actually broken, with three sapphires in the hilt. [ If I remember correctly.]  Perhaps picked up by passing wildings later on ? 

Don't be so sure. I don't believe it but he may be dead already...

Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I' d need a cleaver to claim them.

The corsairs had come aboard in the darkness before the dawn, as the Meadowlark was anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands. The crew had beaten them off, at the cost of twelve lives. Afterward the sailors stripped the dead corsairs of boots and belts and weapons, divvied up their purses, and yanked gemstones from their ears and rings from their fingers. One of the corpses was so fat that the ships cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea. The other pirates were chucked in after him, without a word of prayer or ceremony.

Don't be so sure. I don't believe it but he may be dead already...

Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I' d need a cleaver to claim them.

The corsairs had come aboard in the darkness before the dawn, as the Meadowlark was anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands. The crew had beaten them off, at the cost of twelve lives. Afterward the sailors stripped the dead corsairs of boots and belts and weapons, divvied up their purses, and yanked gemstones from their ears and rings from their fingers. One of the corpses was so fat that the ships cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea. The other pirates were chucked in after him, without a word of prayer or ceremony.

I just caught that on my reread as well. Hmmm...

Are you suggesting that that was Illyrio? Seems unlikely to me, since he's alive and well two chapters later.

The chapters aren't always in chronological order.

Well, that's why I said "unlikely" rather than "impossible". But that quote is Quentyn remembering something that happened long enough before for them to sail from the Disputed Lands to Volantis and be stuck there for 20 days. It's also believed at that point that the Golden Company are heading to Slaver's Bay, which constrains the timeline somewhat. I don't have time right now to seek out other timeline clues, but I can't think of a reason to put the chapter so early if it happens later, either. (There's actually a huge gap between Quentyn's second and third chapters, even.)

Archived