Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I'm m going with Bloodraven given the 1k eyes reference. Other than "wouldn't it be cool if" speculation is there any support for Rhaenys slipping into Balerion?

Just the similarity between her reported death and Sansa's dream. Obviously Rhaenys would have been too young to be truly wargimg; it would have been some kind of shock reaction to her murder. Still, we now know she had Blackwood blood.

I'm m going with Bloodraven given the 1k eyes reference. Other than "wouldn't it be cool if" speculation is there any support for Rhaenys slipping into Balerion?

The cat stealing Tywins food off his own plate, does that count? As well as atracking Tommens kittens? Seems a bit Lannister concentrated trouble the cat causes..

The cat being the true king of the castle?

The cat stealing Tywins food off his own plate, does that count? As well as atracking Tommens kittens? Seems a bit Lannister concentrated trouble the cat causes..

The cat being the true king of the castle?

That coulda been our favorite necromancer, Bloodraven, though, no?

My copy of ACoK is loaned out right now so I can't get you the exact quote, but when Sansa has her "flowering nightmare" a few chapters later some of the imagery (getting stabbed repeatedly in the abdomen) strongly resembles the way Rhaenys was murdered. My take is that Rhaenys did indeed warg into Balerion when she died, and she made some sort of mental contact with Sansa, another potential warg.

If true, perhaps the UnKiss is a leaked "warg-memory" that Sansa misremembers as her own. Note the last part of said memory is that he "left [her] in a bloody cloak."

ETA: Here's the quote, from AFFC Alayne II:

He took a song and a kiss, and left me nothing but a bloody cloak.

Searching asearchoficeandfire.com, I found that the term "bloody cloak" was only used twice throughout the whole ASoIaF series.  Once above.  The second in the scene when the Hound returns with the body of Mycah, the butcher's son, wrapped in a bloody cloak.

He was walking back to the tower to give himself up to sleep at last when Sandor Clegane and his riders came pounding through the castle gate, back from their hunt.
There was something slung over the back of his destrier, a heavy shape wrapped in a bloody cloak. "No sign of your daughter, Hand," the Hound rasped down, "but the day was not wholly wasted. We got her little pet." He reached back and shoved the burden off, and it fell with a thump in front of Ned.

ETA 2:  Point being that the memory of Sandor is "evolving" into something similar to the situation with Mycah, the child whose death was presented in the books in a similar way to that of Rhaenys': being presented in a bloody cloak.

What do you make of these two sentences as Sansa slipped out of Maegor's Holdfast on her way to the godswood to meet the white knight she thought would take her home from King's Landing...

Sansa II, Clash 18

Is that just a little Easter egg recalling the last cat caught by Arya, or is the George trying to tell us something here?

These two sentences are followed by these two paragraphs....

<snip> The air was rich with the smells of earth and leaf. Lady would have liked this place, she thought. There was something wild about a godswood; even here, in the heart of the castle at the heart of the city, you could feel the old gods watching with a thousand unseen eyes.

You catch such splendid nuggets!  Martin has confirmed that all of the Stark children have skinchanging ability so this appears to be foreshadowing Sansa's "jumping out of her skin", not unlike Arya has learned to do in Braavos.  And Arya kissed the black cat on its nose before she left KL.  I do think Sansa will jump out of her skin, although probably as a bird first.  And I do not think we have seen the last of the black cat (bad p----, no I can't even type it.)

I'm not sure if Sansa notices the smells of the godswoods at other times or if her sense of smell is heightened after the cat brushed her let.  Probably normal but she immediately thinks of Lady so we'll see.

According to Cat, Raynald Westerling, the one Westerling who is "supposedly" dead, reminds Robb of Theon and Jon Snow.

Theon's religions teaches that men can reborn after being drown in the sea.
Jon's been stabbed and he's likely going to return.

Raynald Westerling was hit by crossbows and fell into the river. He's aliveeeeeee.

Love it!  I hope you are correct.  I've no idea what role he could play but I am rooting for him.  Also, the rampant speculation is that Jon's body will reside within the ice cells of the Wall for a time...which is made of seawater.  He is alive, too.

Did anyone happen to notice that -

there are two frogslayers in the story, and they have some similarities?

Meera Reed has green eyes and wears bronze scale armor. She is very competent at hunting frogs.

Rhaegal is green with bronze highlights. He killed Quentyn "Frog" Martell.

I wonder if that's supposed to be a hint about other possible links between them.

It might also be pertinent to point out that the sigil of House Marsh is 10 green frogs on gold. If Meera ever makes it back to the Wall at Castle Black, Bowen Marsh might be in for a bad day.

Ooooh.  This is really great!  I did not make the connection at all.  Nicely put together...

With Talbert Serry...

I fervently hope so.

ETA: Sense of smell and the black cat encounter

@ Lost Melnibonean (et al.)

I just noticed that House Lorch's Amory Lorch's personal coat of arms is a black manticore on a field of red.  Blackfyre much?  :P  I'm sure that could be a connection made to your "dragons, griffins, and manticores" theory.  (Although I still feel the manticore refers to Illyrio, not necessarily to Aegon.)

Edit: error

I'd like to think BR has better things to do than screw around with the Lannisters by having cats grab food from them and menacing kittens. Not saying that you're wrong, but I'd like to think so.

Don't forget slapping a mortally wounded Kevan about the head with the wings of the white raven.

I just noticed that House Lorch's sigil is a black manticore on a field of red.  Blackfyre much?  :P  I'm sure that could be a connection made to your "dragons, griffins, and manticores" theory.  (Although I still feel the manticore refers to Illyrio, not necessarily to Aegon.)

Nice!

I just noticed that House Lorch's Amory Lorch's personal coat of arms is a black manticore on a field of red.  Blackfyre much?  :P  I'm sure that could be a connection made to your "dragons, griffins, and manticores" theory.  (Although I still feel the manticore refers to Illyrio, not necessarily to Aegon.)

Edit: error

I tried to find anything you posted on this.  I found the LM post. 

But in this case the sphinx, Aegon, is the riddle, being a Blackfyre and perhaps a Brightflame (and maybe even a Bloodstar too).

Why do you think Illyrio is the manticore here?  Do you also regard him as an admixture of Blackfyre, Brightflame, and possibly Bloodstar?  Is he also the Sphinx?  Thanks in advance.

Why do you think Illyrio is the manticore here?  Do you also regard him as an admixture of Blackfyre, Brightflame, and possibly Bloodstar?  Is he also the Sphinx?  Thanks in advance.

For the record, I don't think Aegon needs to have Brightflame or "Bloodstar" blood to be the sphinx. That he is associated with a manticore and fraud is good enough for me.

Isobel Harper and I hijacked this tread for a while and discussed some of these issues related to chimeras...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/128994-tyrion-is-the-riddle-of-the-sphinx/

What Lost Melnibonean said.  See my Illyrio is the Devil signature.  It's part of the same thread that he and I "hijacked."

Ser Cleos Frey won't be buried. We knew that before, but Genna and Jaime speak of it:

"Where was he laid to rest?"

Nowhere. The Bloody Mummers stripped his corpse and left his flesh to feast the carrion crows. "Beside a stream," he lied.

ADwD 48 Jaime

Well, they were attacked at one point, probably by the BWB, but other than that, who is going to attack them under a peace banner?

Tywin's men should have brought Cleos to Harrenhal. And you're right, they managed to fight off an attack or two. I suppose Beric's men probably would have left them alone.

Archived