Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I didn't notice until one of my rereads that the dragons hatching (last chapter in AGOT) and the first time we hear the AA prophecy (prologue of ACOK) are back to back chapters, which is a big hint that Dany is AA (or at least 1 of the people in the AA prophecy).

Und you prefer your red herring raw, ja? I prefer mine smoked and salted.

There's a surprising lack of Leos/Leons in the Lannister family tree.

Leo means lion, but the only Leos ever mentioned are 3 Leo Tyrells, 1 Leo Blackbar, 1 Leo Lefford and then there's a Leobald Tallhart, a Leona Tyrell, Leona Woolfield, Leonella Lefford and Leonette Fossoway.

The closest we get to a Lannister named Leo is Lyonel Frey, Genna Lannister's son with Emmon Frey.

The maid of Tarth saying that they played the game at harrenhal

“At Highgarden, when King Renly called his banners, some men played a game with me. Ser Hyle was one of them. It was a cruel game

At Harrenhal when Ser Hyle and his friends had played their game

I don't get it

The maid of Tarth saying that they played the game at harrenhal

“At Highgarden, when King Renly called his banners, some men played a game with me. Ser Hyle was one of them. It was a cruel game

At Harrenhal when Ser Hyle and his friends had played their game

I don't get it

The first quote is from AFfC 14 Brienne III and the second from AFfC 20 Brienne IV .

I take it GRRM's Word*Star autocompletion on H* yields Harrenhal before it offers Highgarden and this error has been overlooked.

Thoren Smallwood swore that Craster was a friend to the Watch, despite his unsavory reputation. "The man's half-mad, I won't deny it," he'd told the Old Bear, "but you'd be the same if you'd spent your life in this cursed wood. Even so, he's never turned a ranger away from his fire, nor does he love Mance Rayder. He'll give us good counsel."

Jon III, Clash 23

Thoren said Craster was half-mad for living in the cursed wood because Craster was sacrifing his sons.

ETA

on the way to Craster's Jon weaves between rocks and puddles, past greaoaks, grey-green sentinels, and black-barked ironwoods, and most curiously, a lightning-blasted chestnut tree overgrown with white roses. Dafuq?

ETA II

Jon tells Gilly, "I do not choose the road I ride."

Wow, I never noticed that this . . .

"Will I find my sister and my lady mother at Pyke?"

"You will not. Your mother dwells on Harlaw, with her own sister. It is less raw there, and her cough troubles her. Your sister has taken Black Wind to Great Wyk, with messages from your lord father. She will return e'er long, you may be sure."

Theon did not need to be told that Black Wind was Asha's longship. He had not seen his sister in ten years, but that much he knew of her.

Theon I, Clash 11

. . . set up this . . .

Lordsport was as crowded as he'd ever seen it, swarming with the crews of the longships that lined the pebbled shore and rode at anchor well out past the breakwater. Ironmen did not bend their knees often nor easily, but Theon noted that oarsmen and townfolk alike grew quiet as they passed, and acknowledged him with respectful bows of the head. They have finally learned who I am, he thought. And past time too.

Lord Goodbrother of Great Wyk had come in the night before with his main strength, near forty longships. His men were everywhere, conspicuous in their striped goat's hair sashes. It was said about the inn that Otter Gimpknee's whores were being fucked bowlegged by beardless boys in sashes. The boys were welcome to them so far as Theon was concerned. A poxier den of slatterns he hoped he'd never see. His present companion was more to his taste. That she was wed to his father's shipwright and pregnant to boot only made her more intriguing.

Theon II, Clash 24

ETA

This suggests that Theon's family, at least Victarion, did welcome him home...

"My uncle Victarion has loaned me his own steersman."

"Rymolf Stormdrunk? A good man, so long as he's sober." 

Theon II, Clash 24

On my latest re-read I just noticed 2 new things for the first time.

1) That blind acolyte that Arya mentions isn't actually blind. He's just drinking that milk Arya ends up drinking.

2) Asha was thinking about using Theon to overturn the ruling of the Kingsmoot.

In the AGOT prologue, the Other's sword doesn't seem to gain its magic sword-shattering ability until the Other draws blood.

Again and again the swords met, until Will wanted to cover his ears against the strange anguished keening of their clash. Ser Waymar was panting from the effort now, his breath steaming in the moonlight. His blade was white with frost; the Other's danced with pale blue light.

Then Royce's parry came a beat too late. The pale sword bit through the ringmail beneath his arm. The young lord cried out in pain. Blood welled between the rings. It steamed in the cold, and the droplets seemed red as fire where they touched the snow. Ser Waymar's fingers brushed his side. His moleskin glove came away soaked with red.

The Other said something in a language that Will did not know; his voice was like the cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking.

Ser Waymar Royce found his fury. "For Robert!" he shouted, and he came up snarling, lifting the frost=covered longsword with both hands and swinging it around in a flat sidearm slash with all his weight behind it. The Other's parry was almost lazy.

When the blades touched, the steel shattered.

So Waymar is perfectly able to parry the Other's sword for a long time, then he messed up, the Other draws blood, and the next "lazy" parry by the Other shatters Waymar's sword.

This is reminiscent to me of Beric cutting his hand to set his sword aflame.

The plan for LF to marry Lysa came much later, didn't it? Only after the Blackwater. So LF would have only been sent to the Vale to discuss Myrcella's betrothal to Robert. I think he thought he was supposed to return to KL after arranging the betrothal..

Not that that plan was ever to happen. Tyrion had send a letter to Doran, and whoever would have told Cersei about Tyrions plans regarding her children, that letter would have left for Sunspear. Myrcella to Dorne would always have been the outcome.

i thought littlefinger knew he was being sent to the Vale to marry Lysa when he treated with the Tyrells about the marriage between Margery/Joffery. Thats where they plotted his death too.

When he gets the news in the small council, i think Redwyne and Rowan share that look

In the AGOT prologue, the Other's sword doesn't seem to gain its magic sword-shattering ability until the Other draws blood.

So Waymar is perfectly able to parry the Other's sword for a long time, then he messed up, the Other draws blood, and the next "lazy" parry by the Other shatters Waymar's sword.

... :shocked:

Wow, nice find.

This is intriguing, especially when you link it to Beric's blood transforming his sword.  Excellent.

ETA:  Also, once Waymar is wounded and down, the spectator White Walkers come forward and blood their own swords in Waymar's blood. 

A similar scene transpires in the final prologue when the pale children come forward and plunge their knives into Kevan's body, blooding their blades.  I wonder if that action transformed those blades.

That in ASOS Mormont's raven and Ghost were MIA for a long time, yet both arrived back at CB just in time for Jon to be declared LC.

I'd forgotten they returned together.  Nice.  What was Ghost up to beyond the Wall all that time, I wonder.

I knew this but had just forgotten until lately:

"Oddly, it occurred to me that, to the best of our knowledge, Jorah is still married to his second wife.  They are living separate lives, yes, but still formally married.  There doesn't seem to be a standard mechanism for divorce in this world.  Strange."

“You were small, but far-famed. We were in Oldtown at your birth, and all the city talked of was the monster that had been born to the King’s Hand, and what such an omen might foretell for the realm.”
Famine, plague, and war, no doubt.” Tyrion gave a sour smile. “It’s always famine, plague, and war. Oh, and winter, and the long night that never ends.”
All that,” said Prince Oberyn, “and your father’s fall as well. Lord Tywin had made himself greater than King Aerys, I heard one begging brother preach, but only a god is meant to stand above a king. You were his curse, a punishment sent by the gods to teach him that he was no better than any other man.”

[...]

After all the wonderful whispers, Lord Tywin’s Doom turned out to be just a hideous red infant with stunted legs.

Never underestimate the wisedom of the smallfolk. 

Tyrion's kidnapping started a war, which led to famine. Tyrion might also become indirectly responsible for bringing the plague to Westeros, as Jon Connington got infected with greyscale when he saved Tyrion from drowning at the Sorrows. Tyrion was born in winter, and as Tywin's killer, he indeed served as Lord Tywin's Doom.

The only thing still unaccounted for, is the Long Night "that never ends". Perhaps a suggestion that Tyrion will play his part in the upcoming was against the Others in the battle for the dawn as well?

“You were small, but far-famed. We were in Oldtown at your birth, and all the city talked of was the monster that had been born to the King’s Hand, and what such an omen might foretell for the realm.”

Famine, plague, and war, no doubt.” Tyrion gave a sour smile. “It’s always famine, plague, and war. Oh, and winter, and the long night that never ends.”

All that,” said Prince Oberyn, “and your father’s fall as well. Lord Tywin had made himself greater than King Aerys, I heard one begging brother preach, but only a god is meant to stand above a king. You were his curse, a punishment sent by the gods to teach him that he was no better than any other man.”

[...]

After all the wonderful whispers, Lord Tywin’s Doom turned out to be just a hideous red infant with stunted legs.

Never underestimate the wisedom of the smallfolk. 

Tyrion's kidnapping started a war, which led to famine. Tyrion might also become indirectly responsible for bringing the plague to Westeros, as Jon Connington got infected with greyscale when he saved Tyrion from drowning at the Sorrows. Tyrion was born in winter, and as Tywin's killer, he indeed served as Lord Tywin's Doom.

The only thing still unaccounted for, is the Long Night "that never ends". Perhaps a suggestion that Tyrion will play his part in the upcoming was against the Others in the battle for the dawn as well?
Wow. Great [emoji122] [emoji122] [emoji122]

Cool.

Archived