Wow, I Never Noticed That v. 13

Rhaenys_Targaryen

It's not that the title of the book makes everyone suspect that there has to be a Dance 2.0. I think that comes more from one of the sample chapters from Winds:

Hidden Content

And of course due to the ssm in which GRRM discussed it shortly.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up. I've stayed away from anything regarding Winds of Winter goings-on...with the exception of release date nonsense.

I just noticed the similarity between the dragon that Aerion destroys and location of the eggs that Daenerys lays in Drogo's pyre.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces.  The Hedge Knight, scene where Aerion attacks Tanselle.

She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs. When she kissed him for the last time, Dany could taste the sweetness of the oil on his lips.  AGoT, Daenerys X

Drogon's egg is placed under Drogo's arm, which parallels the broken wing. 

Rhaegal's egg is placed beside Drogo's head, which parallels the "[puppet's] head there." 

And Viserion's egg (the dragon who has three horns) is placed at Drogo's hips, which parallels the tail (which is attached to the same area) in three pieces.

I just noticed the similarity between the dragon that Aerion destroys and location of the eggs that Daenerys lays in Drogo's pyre.

One man-at-arms was dangling the puppets of Florian and Jonquil from his hands as another set them afire with a torch. Three more men were opening chests, spilling more puppets on the ground and stamping on them. The dragon puppet was scattered all about them, a broken wing here, its head there, its tail in three pieces.  The Hedge Knight, scene where Aerion attacks Tanselle.

She climbed the pyre herself to place the eggs around her sun-and-stars. The black beside his heart, under his arm. The green beside his head, his braid coiled around it. The cream-and-gold down between his legs. When she kissed him for the last time, Dany could taste the sweetness of the oil on his lips.  AGoT, Daenerys X

Rhaegal's egg is placed beside Drogo's head, which parallels the "[puppet's] head there." 

And Viserion's egg (the dragon who has three horns) is placed at Drogo's hips, which parallels the tail (which is attached to the same area) in three pieces.

Impressive. Most impressive. 

"His passion was impossible, of course. A landed knight is no fit consort for a princess of royal blood."  Barristan, about Rhaella and Bonifer to Daenerys.

Ironic, given that Sansa (princess of the North) is currently engaged to a Hardyng, from a family of landed knights.

The Hedge Knight and A Game of Thrones both start roughly 14-15 years after a rebellion against the Targaryens, although one failed and one succeeded. 

I was also add that in both sets of books, so much seems to come back to that rebellion; in the Dunk and Egg tales everything seems to reflect back to the Blackfyre rebellions and in ASOIAF they all seem to go back to Robert's rebellion.  Perhaps that is a sign of the cyclical nature of history?

Lysa greeting Littlefinger in Book 2:

“Poo to my court. I have waited so long, I could not bear to wait another moment.” She put her arms around him. “I want to share your bed tonight, my sweet. I want us to make another child, a brother for Robert or a sweet little daughter.”

- ASoS, Sansa

FACTS

• Lysa carried on a secret affair with Petyr while she was married to Jon Arryn

• Lysa had several miscarriages during her marriage to Jon Arryn

• On his deathbed, Lysa's father Hoster Tully was muttering the word "Tansey," a know 

contraceptive tea.       

• Arryns are traditionally "sandy-haired," and Jon Arryn was a broad-shouldered, robust   

soldier of a man. Robin is the opposite of all those things. So is Petyr… 

• Jon Arryn's last words, "The seed is strong," were interpreted by Ned to be a reference to  

King Robert, and the fact that none of Cersei's children shared his features…

…but perhaps it was a reference to his own seed, and the fact that despite this, Robin shares 

none of his features

Don't be so sure. I don't believe it but he may be dead already...

Illyrio was reclining on a padded couch, gobbling hot peppers and pearl onions from a wooden bowl. His brow was dotted with beads of sweat, his pig's eyes shining above his fat cheeks. Jewels danced when he moved his hands; onyx and opal, tiger's eye and tourmaline, ruby, amethyst, sapphire, emerald, jet and jade, a black diamond, and a green pearl. I could live for years on his rings, Tyrion mused, though I' d need a cleaver to claim them.

The corsairs had come aboard in the darkness before the dawn, as the Meadowlark was anchored off the coast of the Disputed Lands. The crew had beaten them off, at the cost of twelve lives. Afterward the sailors stripped the dead corsairs of boots and belts and weapons, divvied up their purses, and yanked gemstones from their ears and rings from their fingers. One of the corpses was so fat that the ships cook had to cut his fingers off with a meat cleaver to claim his rings. It took three Meadowlarks to roll the body into the sea. The other pirates were chucked in after him, without a word of prayer or ceremony.

just to confirm, the 2nd quote comes chronologically after the 1st, right?

“Poo to my court. I have waited so long, I could not bear to wait another moment.” She put her arms around him. “I want to share your bed tonight, my sweet. I want us to make another child, a brother for Robert or a sweet little daughter.”

- ASoS, Sansa

FACTS

• On his deathbed, Lysa's father Hoster Tully was muttering the word "Tansey," a know 

contraceptive tea.       

• Arryns are traditionally "sandy-haired," and Jon Arryn was a broad-shouldered, robust   

• Jon Arryn's last words, "The seed is strong," were interpreted by Ned to be a reference to  

…but perhaps it was a reference to his own seed, and the fact that despite this, Robin shares 

none of his features

A few things,

Lysa had been pregnant by LF before, the child that was aborted. Whilst that child never lived, he does count in her mind, as she acknowledges when he is about to kill. So her statement of "I want us to make another child" is nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, Arryn's are not traditionally sandy-haired. At least, that isn't what the passage says. We know of only one Arryn-related man who has that hair colour, and while he was said to have had Jon Arryn's look, that is a rather general statement, and does not automatically mean that Arryn had the exact same hair colour.

The question remains as to whether Petyr would have been at KL when Robert was conceived. The boy was born in early 292 AC. We know that Petyr was given customs in Gulltown by Arryn in 289 AC. The timing of that we don't know, though there will have been a portion in the year where Arryn was too occupied (Greyjoy Rebellion). LF first had to proof himself at Gulltown, and only after he had done so, was he brought to KL by Arryn. Was that in time (mid-291 AC) to conceive Robert? We don't know.

Or the dragon puppet foreshadows the fate of the mummer's dragon, fAegon? Or the fate of his army? A head there (the leadership), the wing there (its flank), its tail in three pieces (the rest of his host/followers).

The puppets in the chest and the men stamping on them make me think of puppet kings, rising and falling just as quickly...

Or, it foreshadows the fate of house Targaryen as a whole. The head (Daenerys), the wing (a branch, fAegon/Blacfyre)... and it's tail in three pieces.... the followers? people of westeros, pulled in three direction? Or ... Jon, in "three pieces"? Jon and allies, "made of three pieces"? "pulled in three directions"?

Or....

Viserion is placed between Drogo's legs. So, it's like Drogo fathered him. Drogo, is the "genitor", the "father" a mirror for Rhaegar/house Targaryen....Rhageal, at Drogo's head, then represents an equal to the "genitor" (the member of a side branch), while Drogon, under Drogo's arm, represents another member of House Targaryen, that is "collateral" to the "genitor"....a child, a distant cousin, a sibling and Rhaegar in the middle.

That's why I said MAY be dead. It is not clear but Quentyn's journey may have started around the same time Tyrion and Illyrio were traveling together. 

Considering the timing of Tywin's death, the moment Arianne learned of it, combined with the moment the rumours about the GC breaking contract began to surface, and place that all next to Tyrion's journey, and the fact that Quentyn has been stuck in Volantis the moment we first meet him for 20 days already, after a long journey across the sea, with a four day stop in Lys, it seems clear to me that Quentyn had left long before Tyrion ever got a hold of that crossbow.

Now the Arianne learning about Tywin's death part, I have momentarily forgotten how that was changed in subsequent editions of the book (can anyone quote it for me/ tell me?), but the Golden Company part remains the same, I think. And at that point, Quentyn had been gone for quite a while, as Arianne was convinced he had had time enough to reach the GC and buy their loyalty.

- ASoS, Sansa

FACTS

contraceptive tea.       

none of his features

Is it a fact that Lysa had an affair with Petyr while married? I thought her whole rush to get married was because she did not want to sleep with him again without being married to him. and that is why she says she has been waiting so long and can't wait any more?

- ASoS, Sansa

FACTS

contraceptive tea.       

none of his features

Is it a fact that Lysa had an affair with Petyr while married? I thought her whole rush to get married was because she did not want to sleep with him again without being married to him. and that is why she says she has been waiting so long and can't wait any more?

In Sansa VI, Clash 60, Cersei advises Sansa to instill fear in her subjects to inspire loyalty. Sansa resolves to make her subjects love her instead. We see Margaery do this in the next couple of books. Which example will Sansa follow, or will she pave her own path? 

In Sansa VI, Clash 60, Cersei advises Sansa to instill fear in her subjects to inspire loyalty. Sansa resolves to make her subjects love her instead. We see Margaery do this in the next couple of books. Which example will Sansa follow, or will she pave her own path? 

Seems more like a "Small Question" to me :) 

Perhaps she'll make a compromise, and use a little of both.

Archived