Bryan Fuller's Hannibal: We Hardly Knew Ye [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Great episode, but two bizarre things stand out...

"It was fairly ridiculous that Alana would give Hannibal Dolarhydes package first, without opening it herself but almost worth it just for the reveal that Hannibal ate one of Chiltons lips, just because he could.
Also a bit odd was jumping to Reba as Dolarhydes bound up hostage herself. Yes, wed seen the huge conflict within him over her, but what made him cross this line? I wonder if a scene was cut for time showing this moment?"

http://ign.com/articles/2015/08/21/hannibal-the-number-of-the-beast-is-666-review

If anyone was wondering what the Standard & Practice guys were concerned with during that terrifying scene :D

Btw did anyone notice that that was a maxi pad on Chilton's eyes instead of a blindfold. Totally missed that :D

Also a bit odd was jumping to Reba as Dolarhydes bound up hostage herself. Yes, wed seen the huge conflict within him over her, but what made him cross this line? I wonder if a scene was cut for time showing this moment?"

Two things: 1) Killing her is the final step in his Becoming. She's the last thing that keeps him somewhat tethered to his earthly form in his mind. Plus, she has clearly been identified by Francis' mind as the Woman Clothed in the Sun. In the twelfth chapter of Revelations, she appears as the object of the Dragon's thirst for destruction. She's the Virgin Mary (or the Catholic Church, take your pic) and it is the Dragon's (aka Satan's) goal to destroy her and what she carries (i.e. Jesus Christ or the followers of the Church). Now Francis is firmly in the sway of the Dragon, he even started to spit flames this episode (i.e. BBQ Chilton) and she is the only thing standing in his way.

2) If he knew Chilton survived, which is very well possible, he was compelled to act straight away. Perhaps Chilton wouldn't be able to inform, but Francis didn't know that. Chilton saw Reba and thus can provide a clear link to Dolarhyde. Therefore the Dragon needs to hurry to complete his Becoming ASAP, before they can stop him.

"It was fairly ridiculous that Alana would give Hannibal Dolarhydes package first, without opening it herself but almost worth it just for the reveal that Hannibal ate one of Chiltons lips, just because he could.

It's ridiculous that the director of a major institution doesn't violate a patients civil rights? Thanks to the scanner, they knew there was nothing dangerous in there after all, so they couldn't intervene on that basis. Or you could always handwave it as they wanted to probe Hannibal's reaction, perhaps he would slip up and give a clue or something :dunno:

Loved the episode.

Hope Will rescues Reba and she him--but then has the good sense to fake her and maybe his own death so they both can escape Hannibal and his acolytes.

Hope the ending of show sets up for Fuller's version

for Silence of the Lambs.

According to Fuller, there was at least one - I think wholly original - season to go before actually entering into SotL territory :)

Anyone watch the finale yet?
[spoiler] I loved the pre credits ending, the last ten minutes were amazing imo and a perfectly fitting ending for the series but I don't think I really liked the post credit scene much at all. My favorite part of the finale was probably Hannibal's chilling parting words to Alana, "You died in my kitchen, Alana. When you chose to be brave. Every moment since is borrowed. Your wife, your child, they belong to me."[/spoiler]

I'm pretty sad it's over, but that was a good ending.

[spoiler]  It's been a while since i read the book, but pretty much all of this was new, right?  I wonder how he'd have done the SOTL-type storyline.  Maybe he'll say something about what his ideas were for the rest of the series (assuming it doesn't ever get picked up). [/spoiler]

The ending was very good but I think

[spoiler]I found it funnier than it was actually supposed to be. I just found it hilarious the way they had a cheesy murder-party where a cheesy sex scene would normally be.

It was a pretty perfect topoff to a very weird season, but it didn't quite match the drama of the first two finales as an episode itself, especially the second.
[/spoiler]

Well, if Hannibal were to end here, I for one would be extremely disappointed. I still kind of enjoyed some of it a little bit, but damn this episode was uneven. I felt like they crammed two episodes worth of story in there, the editing was all so jumpy, I didn't like it at all really. There were like three good scenes in the entire episode, the rest was a crock of shit. I genuinely feel like punching something.

In fact I'd say this is the worst episode of the season, the Will centric one (three I think) in the beginning was as unengaging as this one, but this was the damn season finale - fuck probably the finale to the entire series. Now that's a depressing thought - it should have been so much better. I enjoyed this entire season immensely, but as far as season or even series finales go, season two's finale was much, much stronger. A pity really, the beginning was pretty good, I even wondered if they were going to deviate from the source material and [spoiler]have dolarhyde actually kill himself

The scenes with Alanna and Hannibal and Alanna and Chilton were great, but that was about it. In fact, I'm getting more riled up by the minute while writing this, all the ground they covered this episode, it should have been two episodes at the very least. With more time they might have explained some of the weird jumps this episode made.

So many missed opportunities. I mean why the fuck was Jack Crawford all of a sudden a-okay with executing Hannibal and Dolarhyde? That felt like character assassination imo. Also, everything with Dolarhyde baring the beginning (and even that wasn't that strong) and the ending (that was great) was terrible. I mean I have no clue what the fuck he was doing there. So he controls the dragon now? And he wants to feed Hannibal to the dragon because what? He's ticked of that Hannibal told on him? Or because he wants to absorb Hannibal's power or is it because he wants to redeem himself? I find the latter interpretation the most interesting - Dolarhyde wanting to harness the power of the Dragon to rid the world of the guy who's pretty much the stand-in for the actual devil - could have been so interesting if it wasn't handled so poorly.

Another thing that I found lame to the extreme was Alanna's escape? I mean the fuck? After she took his toilet away? After that fucking amazing piece of acting where Hannibal threatens her? It's bad I say. Yet another thing I would throw on the craplist was Dolarhyde using his gun on Hannibal? Why? It looked stupid and it felt out of character. He's the fucking dragon now and he's been built up to be a fucking beast, why was there a need for the gun. It harmed the scene!

On top of that, what the fuck was that post-credit scene doing there. I'm not totally sure about what this was supposed to show that Bedelia was eating her own leg I suppose? Implying that Hannibal and Will survived somehow? In case that my interpretation is right I call bullshit on the entire ending. It really is just a masterclass in trying to have their cake and eat it too. Hannibal and Will going over the cliff together was such a brilliant way to close of the season, especially after their first murder as a couple. Heck, it could even be a great seasonfinale, because they could be back or they could be dead. The Bedelia thingy just cheapens the mystery

The way Hannibal got out of jail was pretty uninspiring as well. Aside from the basic out-of-character stupidity with Crawford and Alanna, it lessened Hannibal as a character. The appeal of this Hannibal has always been his Luciferian aura, the way he's larger than life, but for the entire second half of the season he's been completely passive. I despise that. I was okay with it until now, because I thought they would have him escape in the end (and make it seem like he could have escaped any time he wanted to), but this was just awful. It retrospectively lessens the entire second half of the season imo. I figured that once Will was caught by Dolarhyde, Hannibal would escape and come to the rescue, probably maiming/killing Alanna in the process. Normally, I like being surprised by this show, because Fuller usually comes up with things that are better than what I had imagined. This though was fucking atrociuos

Will's entire arc this episode was pretty terrible. The way he changed his tune at the drop of a hat was just so lazy. I get what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work. Not in the blasé, rushed way they did it here. It really feels like this episode was written with cancellation in mind, trying to please the restless Tumblr crowds. In fact the only thing that keeps me from completely accepting that was the fact that Will and Hannibal didn't snog.

This episode was also void of any sense of humour. Something that Hannibal usually does so well. The only attempt they made this episode was so pathetically mean spirited (the blind girl dance by the CSI guys) [/spoiler]

It almost feels like this one was written by someone else than Fuller. Did he swap talent with Damon Lindelof while writing this episode? or did Skip Woods chip in? Perhaps D&D consulted on this? It felt like something Dumb & Dumber would write anyway if they got the chance to defile Hannibal "yo Fuller, you need less plot yo. And forget wit or decent pacing, audiences are to dumb to follow that anyway. Can you throw some boobs in there? What no? Some rape then? No, they won't allow it. Sigh, Network TV really is for pussies dog. Let's put in a pointless action scene with some cop cars then."

I would use this old gem to describe this episode, but I only allow myself to use that once a year and Outlander's season finale was the early winner. I really do hope we'll get a fourth season now. It wouldn't be fair to end on such a depressingly low note. Hannibal used to have standards. Literally, the only good thing about this episode is that now I have no qualms in saying that Black Sails season two has been the best season of television of the year so far. Black Sails earned that distinction fair and square.

Well, if Hannibal were to end here, I for one would be extremely disappointed. I still kind of enjoyed some of it a little bit, but damn this episode was uneven. I felt like they crammed two episodes worth of story in there, the editing was all so jumpy, I didn't like it at all really. There were like three good scenes in the entire episode, the rest was a crock of shit. I genuinely feel like punching something.

In fact I'd say this is the worst episode of the season, the Will centric one (three I think) in the beginning was as unengaging as this one, but this was the damn season finale - fuck probably the finale to the entire series. Now that's a depressing thought - it should have been so much better. I enjoyed this entire season immensely, but as far as season or even series finales go, season two's finale was much, much stronger. A pity really, the beginning was pretty good, I even wondered if they were going to deviate from the source material and [spoiler]have dolarhyde actually kill himself

The scenes with Alanna and Hannibal and Alanna and Chilton were great, but that was about it. In fact, I'm getting more riled up by the minute while writing this, all the ground they covered this episode, it should have been two episodes at the very least. With more time they might have explained some of the weird jumps this episode made.

So many missed opportunities. I mean why the fuck was Jack Crawford all of a sudden a-okay with executing Hannibal and Dolarhyde? That felt like character assassination imo. Also, everything with Dolarhyde baring the beginning (and even that wasn't that strong) and the ending (that was great) was terrible. I mean I have no clue what the fuck he was doing there. So he controls the dragon now? And he wants to feed Hannibal to the dragon because what? He's ticked of that Hannibal told on him? Or because he wants to absorb Hannibal's power or is it because he wants to redeem himself? I find the latter interpretation the most interesting - Dolarhyde wanting to harness the power of the Dragon to rid the world of the guy who's pretty much the stand-in for the actual devil - could have been so interesting if it wasn't handled so poorly.

Another thing that I found lame to the extreme was Alanna's escape? I mean the fuck? After she took his toilet away? After that fucking amazing piece of acting where Hannibal threatens her? It's bad I say. Yet another thing I would throw on the craplist was Dolarhyde using his gun on Hannibal? Why? It looked stupid and it felt out of character. He's the fucking dragon now and he's been built up to be a fucking beast, why was there a need for the gun. It harmed the scene!

On top of that, what the fuck was that post-credit scene doing there. I'm not totally sure about what this was supposed to show that Bedelia was eating her own leg I suppose? Implying that Hannibal and Will survived somehow? In case that my interpretation is right I call bullshit on the entire ending. It really is just a masterclass in trying to have their cake and eat it too. Hannibal and Will going over the cliff together was such a brilliant way to close of the season, especially after their first murder as a couple. Heck, it could even be a great seasonfinale, because they could be back or they could be dead. The Bedelia thingy just cheapens the mystery

The way Hannibal got out of jail was pretty uninspiring as well. Aside from the basic out-of-character stupidity with Crawford and Alanna, it lessened Hannibal as a character. The appeal of this Hannibal has always been his Luciferian aura, the way he's larger than life, but for the entire second half of the season he's been completely passive. I despise that. I was okay with it until now, because I thought they would have him escape in the end (and make it seem like he could have escaped any time he wanted to), but this was just awful. It retrospectively lessens the entire second half of the season imo. I figured that once Will was caught by Dolarhyde, Hannibal would escape and come to the rescue, probably maiming/killing Alanna in the process. Normally, I like being surprised by this show, because Fuller usually comes up with things that are better than what I had imagined. This though was fucking atrociuos

Will's entire arc this episode was pretty terrible. The way he changed his tune at the drop of a hat was just so lazy. I get what they were trying to do, but it just didn't work. Not in the blasé, rushed way they did it here. It really feels like this episode was written with cancellation in mind, trying to please the restless Tumblr crowds. In fact the only thing that keeps me from completely accepting that was the fact that Will and Hannibal didn't snog.

This episode was also void of any sense of humour. Something that Hannibal usually does so well. The only attempt they made this episode was so pathetically mean spirited (the blind girl dance by the CSI guys) [/spoiler]

It almost feels like this one was written by someone else than Fuller. Did he swap talent with Damon Lindelof while writing this episode? or did Skip Woods chip in? Perhaps D&D consulted on this? It felt like something Dumb & Dumber would write anyway if they got the chance to defile Hannibal "yo Fuller, you need less plot yo. And forget wit or decent pacing, audiences are to dumb to follow that anyway. Can you throw some boobs in there? What no? Some rape then? No, they won't allow it. Sigh, Network TV really is for pussies dog. Let's put in a pointless action scene with some cop cars then."

I would use this old gem to describe this episode, but I only allow myself to use that once a year and Outlander's season finale was the early winner. I really do hope we'll get a fourth season now. It wouldn't be fair to end on such a depressingly low note. Hannibal used to have standards. Literally, the only good thing about this episode is that now I have no qualms in saying that Black Sails season two has been the best season of television of the year so far. Black Sails earned that distinction fair and square.

Yikes!

Although I do agree about Black Sails.

I liked it,but I don't know what's up with Bedelia... Did they cut her leg off and told her to wait like a good girl so they can have dinner together?

Also,was this episode filmed after Hannibal got cancelled?Because if Fuller intended it to continue,I don't see how Will and Hannibal would come out of this alive.

I liked it,but I don't know what's up with Bedelia... Did they cut her leg off and told her to wait like a good girl so they can have dinner together?

Also,was this episode filmed after Hannibal got cancelled?Because if Fuller intended it to continue,I don't see how Will and Hannibal would come out of this alive.

Great post finale interview with Fuller that answers both those questions http://ign.com/articles/2015/08/30/hannibal-bryan-fuller-on-the-huge-events-in-the-season-3-finale-and-continued-hopes-for-the-future

IGN: The ending being what it is, if the show comes back, well see how they survive and if not, that could be their end but whats happening with Bedelia is a huge, much more overt question. Should we assume she did that to herself? Should we assume thats a time jump? What would you have people take from that?

Fuller: Well, I think what they should take from it is that the story is not over and somebody cut off Bedelias leg and is serving it to her and she just grabbed her fork and hid it under her napkin and shes going to plunge it into the next person that walks into that room. And that if there had been a Season 4, we would have seen a continuation of that dinner.

IGN: If the show were coming back next year on NBC, Im sure Id jump to questions about how Hannibal and Will survived, but given the circumstances, do you want people to even assume they survived? Or are you fine with people thinking, Thats it and both of them are dead?

Fuller: Well, I think if there were a Season 4, of course they would survive but theres still...The conversation is still in play in so many ways and I may be holding on to false hope that well be able to continue telling a bit of the story because I love these actors and would love to continue working with them. I think it works both ways where if you are satisfied by this conclusion to the series, then that can be the end. if you are wanting more story then there is a version of events yet to be told.

I thought the lovers team murder was almost achingly beautiful.  I teared up and my allergies got really really bad as fell from the cliff.  I'm kind of glad it's over, though.  Now hoping no one picks it up for another season.  

Holy hyperbolic histrionics, Batman! :bawl:

Archived