Bryan Fuller's Hannibal: We Hardly Knew Ye [SPOILERS]

Veltigar

Been on vacation so only just got round to watching the last two episodes. I'm pleased it went out on a high, the penultimate episode was vintage "hannibal" with all the horror, humour and great performances. The last episode packed a lot in but they had to, to finish the season off. It's part of the problem with this season where it felt akin to a child writing on a postcard in big letters and their writing gets incredibly small at the end when they realise they don't have enough room to fit their original message in. I swear there's easily an entire episode of montages and blood spatters this season which when used properly were great for the mood.

I thought the ending was satisfying for a show we're realistically never going to see again. But it wasn't a patch on season 2 and that's largely because of Fuller's style over substance excesses. I hope the American Gods team can rein him back in because when he's on form he's one of the best creators on TV.

The acting was excellent almost throughout. Armitage was a slow burn but his stocking scene was mesmerising and the way he got his eyes to look so dead was worrying. But the show has also turned Mads into an actor I'll watch something just because he's in it (which nowadays is usually a good thing). I'd never heard of Hugh Dancy but I'll see what he's like in his new show. And i really hope Fishburne gets some better roles (that aren't tough cop/criminal) as he had some amazing scenes - usually regarding his character's wife.

This was glorious and rather discomforting.

Also, obviously thought as an ending for the entire series rather than a mere season finale. And I do agree that [spoiler]Hannibal's parting words to Alana were the best part of the episode. Just brilliant [/spoiler]

Definitely the most frightening thing. The Devil truly revealed himself in that.

The whole idea that Will & Hannibal--after Will takes them over the cliff--somehow end up happy murder husbands is far too camp and should remain fan fiction. It also goes against Will's idesire to stop Hannibal from murdering.

Which is one of the reasons I take the tag scene of Bedelia at the end merely as an expression of her own anxiety rather than as fact.

As other posters mentioned I thought the final episode was rushed. I get the feeling word came down that the show was being cancelled half way through filiming and instead of setting up for Silence of the Lambs next season they had to quickly think up a final ending. The whole love affair thing between Will and Hannibal never made any sense to me and to finish on it seemed a bit silly. Anyway I'll miss this show, I'm sure the Hannibal books will get another go around on TV at some point in the future but likely whoever decides to produce it will look back at this and see a relative ratings failure that ended up being to slow and artsy for it's own good.

As other posters mentioned I thought the final episode was rushed. I get the feeling word came down that the show was being cancelled half way through filiming and instead of setting up for Silence of the Lambs next season they had to quickly think up a final ending. The whole love affair thing between Will and Hannibal never made any sense to me and to finish on it seemed a bit silly. Anyway I'll miss this show, I'm sure the Hannibal books will get another go around on TV at some point in the future but likely whoever decides to produce it will look back at this and see a relative ratings failure that ended up being to slow and artsy for it's own good.

It wasn't "slow and too artsy for it's own good" for those who enjoyed it.

And Star Trek was cancelled after 3 Seasons on NBC for being too "intellectual" for good ratings.

And Star Trek was cancelled after 3 Seasons on NBC for being too "intellectual" for good ratings.

I don't think it was too artsy either, though it did meander at times especially this season, but if the Hannibal books get re-made I doubt they'll see this as an example to imitate. Anyway I congragulate NBC for sticking with it as long as they did, it's incredible that this was actually shown on Network TV in the first place.

The accusation still stands though. A show enjoyed by a small minority can't survive so if you drive away viewers you kill it. SE3EP2 dropped a million viewers from the premier (and that was only 2.6) and they continued to fall throughout the first half. Once the red dragon story started it levelled off despite being put into a worse timeslot and the week delay from canada probably causing torrenting/reduction in US viewers.

It would be interesting to see why people stopped watching but I know I was thrown off by the incessant dream-like quality of the first episodes and the fact it took 4 episodes to know what happened to all the people from season 2.

If you are "lost" and have 20 million viewers you can indulge with some riskier storytelling moves but if you only have 2.5 then you need to be really careful - especially if you swing further away from "standard" tv.

I still think if the Red Dragon arc had happened before the "hannibal" arc we may not be wondering if we'll see more episodes/film in the future. And I enjoyed those episodes by and large but I could see how they'd drive viewers away.

Jumping into a spoiler thread only having watched seasons 1 and 2. I've really been enjoying the show. While I'm always sad that a good show goes off the air, even from my perspective in season 2, I thought that this was one show that would probably benefit from ending a hair too soon (before it bumps up against "Silence" territory) rather than overstay its welcome.

My question is: did it end well? Breaking Bad good or Lost meh?

I'm avoiding normal news channels because there are probably spoilers. Aside from Armitage being the Tooth Fairy, I know nothing and look forward to catching up. Thanks!

I'd say somewhere in the middle. As an unabashed Fannibal, I was pretty satisfied but I was definitely left wanting more. I think a more casual fan of the show may have a different opinion.

I'd say somewhere in the middle. As an unabashed Fannibal, I was pretty satisfied but I was definitely left wanting more. I think a more casual fan of the show may have a different opinion.

Thanks, Matt.

Now I'm jetting away from the thread before I learn anything... unsavory. Something that doesn't go well with a glass of Chianti and another suspicious pork dish.... Hannibal has an endless supply of his other other white meat, no?

:leaving:

Jumping into a spoiler thread only having watched seasons 1 and 2. I've really been enjoying the show. While I'm always sad that a good show goes off the air, even from my perspective in season 2, I thought that this was one show that would probably benefit from ending a hair too soon (before it bumps up against "Silence" territory) rather than overstay its welcome.

I'm avoiding normal news channels because there are probably spoilers. Aside from Armitage being the Tooth Fairy, I know nothing and look forward to catching up. Thanks!

You could say it ends on a cliffhanger but there's resolution if you choose to take things at face value.

Silence was going to be Season 5. Next season would have begun to set it up.

Silence was going to be Season 5. Next season would have begun to set it up.

Well, given that Fuller still hasn't worked out a deal with MGM granting him permission to use any of the characters from 'Silence', even if 'Hannibal' was to be revived, there would be no chance of it being 'Silence'-oriented without that rather formidable hurdle being cleared. (Which, mind you, is not to say that I'm not rooting for that dream scenario to occur along with every other 'Fannibal'. :) )

The accusation still stands though. A show enjoyed by a small minority can't survive so if you drive away viewers you kill it. SE3EP2 dropped a million viewers from the premier (and that was only 2.6) and they continued to fall throughout the first half. Once the red dragon story started it levelled off despite being put into a worse timeslot and the week delay from canada probably causing torrenting/reduction in US viewers.

It would be interesting to see why people stopped watching but I know I was thrown off by the incessant dream-like quality of the first episodes and the fact it took 4 episodes to know what happened to all the people from season 2.

If you are "lost" and have 20 million viewers you can indulge with some riskier storytelling moves but if you only have 2.5 then you need to be really careful - especially if you swing further away from "standard" tv.

I still think if the Red Dragon arc had happened before the "hannibal" arc we may not be wondering if we'll see more episodes/film in the future. And I enjoyed those episodes by and large but I could see how they'd drive viewers away.

I cared less and less as the show went on, probably because I knew it was cancelled and probably because I felt that they essentially made that happen by blowing any and all nerdcred they bought with critics with that premiere so I suppose whenever Hannibal started being Hannibal all I could see is how it got cancelled. I suppose it'd be admirable, in a story about beleaguered writers standing tall against corporate populism. In real life though...I wonder if anyone just asked Fuller what he was thinking? Because he had to have known what would happen

Towards the end I was watching it as I imagined someone who signed on during the premiere because they saw a good review on IGN felt, I was just strangely detached from the whole thing.

Also: 

There are a few things left unfinished as a result and it's...irksome

[spoiler] Throughout the whole second half there's really no real confrontation with Jack, either with himself or with others, over his shit. Everyone else gets it while  Jack just walks off when he's been throwing people into the grinder for way longer than Will or Alana. 

Freddie Lounds really should have died. Seriously. They actually had to go out of their way here. 

[/spoiler]

I cared less and less as the show went on, probably because I knew it was cancelled and probably because I felt that they essentially made that happen by blowing any and all nerdcred they bought with critics with that premiere so I suppose whenever Hannibal started being Hannibal all I could see is how it got cancelled. I suppose it'd be admirable, in a story about beleaguered writers standing tall against corporate populism. In real life though...I wonder if anyone just asked Fuller what he was thinking? Because he had to have known what would happen

Towards the end I was watching it as I imagined someone who signed on during the premiere because they saw a good review on IGN felt, I was just strangely detached from the whole thing.

A facebook friend posted this " I've stuck with Hannibal for one great season, one mediocre season and one season purely because i'd watched the other two"  Now, I don't agree with their sentiment (as I suspect they mean season 1 was strongest) but I have a feeling they were on the spectrum of many casual fans and it looks like others didn't last that long. Season 1 was like a weird police procedural, season 2 was more of a single crime case with weirdness, season 3 has virtually unrecognisable from previous seasons and when it went back to being a 5 episode version of a season one episode it was far too late.

I'd still rather have had 3 seasons and have the excellent parts of the show (and I do think it was better in season 2 for ditching "villain of the week") but I think it's really unfair to think NBC killed it (they just put it out of its misery with the timeslot change).

I also agree with you at how so many great showrunners still make the fatal mistake of having poor and inaccessible season premiers. I'm reminded of Dollhouse season 2 where the latter half of season 1 had finally overcome the awkward start and I'm sure people were persuaded to give the show another chance with season 2. Then the opener is awful again. It boggles the mind - even when I know there isn't a secret formula for being a "hit" I'm sure there are basic principles for not being bad.

http://ign.com/articles/2015/09/04/hannibal-season-3-review

Season 3 review. Only negative is "Chiyoh didn't work as a character".

From the reviewer himself - although his opening paragraph points out the first 3 episodes drove a lot of people he knew away from the series. Which fits with the MO of the season really appealed to a hardcore audience and not to what were solid fans up until season 3

Archived