Book splitting

Actually I think it depends on the publishing company as to whether it is published in one volume or two. I think the U.S. And UK publishers publish aDwD and aSoS all in one volume, though I have the e-books so I might be mistaken on that front. I seem to recall this being mentioned before though.

Actually I think it depends on the publishing company as to whether it is published in one volume or two. I think the U.S. And UK publishers publish aDwD and aSoS all in one volume, though I have the e-books so I might be mistaken on that front. I seem to recall this being mentioned before though.

They are published in both ways. 

But for example in Poland every book past aCoK exists in two volumes.

About subtitles - it depends on the publishing company. I checked recent subtitles and they vary in different countries - I suspect it's creativity of translator/publisher. For instance second volume of AFfC in german is "The Dark Queen", in polish "The Web of Intrigues" and in italian "The Shadow of the Prophecy".

They are published in both ways. 

But for example in Poland every book past aCoK exists in two volumes.

About subtitles - it depends on the publishing company. I checked recent subtitles and they vary in different countries - I suspect it's creativity of translator/publisher. For instance second volume of AFfC in german is "The Dark Queen", in polish "The Web of Intrigues" and in italian "The Shadow of the Prophecy".

This.

George constantly talks about keeping TWOW (like ADWD) down to 1,500 manuscript pages (1,100 published pages I guess) so it can be published in one volume. So I was a bit surprised when I learned that ASOS was published in two volumes in the UK, i. e. untranslated. (when translating from English to German, you get about 20 % more characters; I guess it's similar in many other languages, so splitting is understandable. When TWOIAF was translated into German, the text had to be abridged to fit the given layout including the pictures, even with a smaller font and a terse translation.)

So why don't they just let him do it as he likes and publish TWOW in America in two volumes? You don't even need subtitles. Just shrink-wrap them and be done with it. It's going to sell like hell anyway. You might even get a higher price for that.

In German the ten books have titles, not subtitles. A lot of German readers don't even know that it's only five books in the original.

The German translation of the second half of AGOT took the cake btw: "Das Erbe von Winterfell" ("The Legacy of Winterfell"). :bang:  Alright, take off his head already...

Disagree.  With the show already spoiling the books at a great rate, they will publish as soon as they have a publishable chunk, even if that is only 800 pages.

IMO, I do not think that George will allow them to publish anything until he has the entire story he wants to tell in TWoW ready and as perfect as he wants it. It is a shame that the show has jumped ahead of parts of the book, but I do not think Martin will give his fans half of the Winds of Winter just because the show may be spoiling parts. That would be unfair to book fans who have been waiting four years for the next big, whole chunk of the story.

So I think TWoW will be very large, probably around 1200 pages, and we may have to wait until right before Season 6 to be able to read it. But I definitely believe George will work hard enough to finish the entire book so as to be able to release it by March 2016 at the latest.

Archived