GoT cast Ian McShane for season 6! Who you got?

Ser Falione

Gotta be Euron.

Victarion is too dense/brutish, Randyll too laconic, and Damphair too insignificant to make use of McShane's talents. Howland Reed and Marwyn are complete non-characters thus far in the books, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them never make it to the show.

I give no fucks about McShane's age or appearance not matching the book description of Euron because he's a complete badass--have faith ye who have not watched Deadwood. Besides, the show has never hesitated to age up nearly every damn character we've seen; why should it be a big deal now?

Gotta be Euron.

Victarion is too dense/brutish, Randyll too laconic, and Damphair too insignificant to make use of McShane's talents. Howland Reed and Marwyn are complete non-characters thus far in the books, and I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them never make it to the show.

I give no fucks about McShane's age or appearance not matching the book description of Euron because he's a complete badass--have faith ye who have not watched Deadwood. Besides, the show has never hesitated to age up nearly every damn character we've seen; why should it be a big deal now?

Euron was my first thought too, despite McShane's age. He's only two years older than Patrick Malahide (Balon), so I think it's credible that a McShane Euron could be Balon's younger brother, even if he isn't significantly younger like book Euron is. Also, I'm hoping for Tim McInnery as Randyll, so I'd rather McShane didn't take that role (even though I'm sure McShane would be excellent in either role).

Wouldn't he be a bit older to be Sam's father? It's not like the show cares for these things, but Sam is supposed to be at most 20 in the show and McShane is 72. Did he have him at 50?

How old was Jon Arryn when Robin was born? Definitely older than 50. How old was Walder Frey supposed to be when his youngest was born? It wouldn't be a stretch at all for Tarly to have been 50 when Sam was born. That being said, Euron still seems like the most logical character for McShane. I hope so, anyway.

How old was Jon Arryn when Robin was born? Definitely older than 50. How old was Walder Frey supposed to be when his youngest was born? It wouldn't be a stretch at all for Tarly to have been 50 when Sam was born. That being said, Euron still seems like the most logical character for McShane. I hope so, anyway.

Jon Arryn lost heirs during his life. And Walder Frey has a son who is in his 70s. It's custom for nobles to start having legitimate children around their 20s. That's something (among other things) that the show has failed in portray. There is no way men like Mace or Doran, who were important Lords, would have only one son or one heir (in Doran's case). There is no way a man like Tarly would start having children at 50 either.

Jon Arryn lost heirs during his life. And Walder Frey has a son who is in his 70s. It's custom for nobles to start having legitimate children around their 20s. That's something (among other things) that the show has failed in portray. There is no way men like Mace or Doran, who were important Lords, would have only one son or one heir (in Doran's case). There is no way a man like Tarly would start having children at 50 either.

Roose Bolton? OK, guess he was married at one time and did have a legitimate heir, but it wasn't unusual in Westeros for lords to have legitimate children at an old age. Perhaps they can say that Randyll Tarly had a first wife who died without having children. At any rate, I think the age factor doesn't seem like a major detail.

I think he's Tarly, as well.  He doesn't come across 70s...more like a solid late 50s.  And Sam seems, what, 28?

Excellent point. Often actors play characters younger than their actual age unless made up to look older (1 notable exception is Wilford Brimley, who was in his late forties when Cocoon was filmed).

I first thought Euron because I saw him in Pirates of the Caribbean, but now I think he'll play Randyll Tarly.

It'll be fun when we hear who he really plays, it could also be someone entirely different / someone entirely new.

If it is a character who already has appeared in the books it should be Marwyn. Euron might be in his mid or at most late 40s but this actor is 73 which is a huge difference, and didn't the casting message for Euron say that the actor should be early forties to late fifties?McShane could do it but I also think Euron will get more screentime than the role description said. So my bet is on Marwyn. Maybe Tarly.

Roose Bolton? OK, guess he was married at one time and did have a legitimate heir, but it wasn't unusual in Westeros for lords to have legitimate children at an old age. Perhaps they can say that Randyll Tarly had a first wife who died without having children. At any rate, I think the age factor doesn't seem like a major detail.

Or in real life either. High infant mortality rate was real. It wasn't that unusual. Henry 8 was so desperate to have a male that survived he took extreme measures. And the end he only had one, after decades, which was a sickly one at that. The show is entirely realistic in this respect.

I first thought Euron because I saw him in Pirates of the Caribbean, but now I think he'll play Randyll Tarly.
It'll be fun when we hear who he really plays, it could also be someone entirely different / someone entirely new.

Character of key importance would suggest someone who already exists in the IaF universe. Unless you meant someone we will be introduced to in the Winds of Winter, rather than a Show only creation.

I'm not sold on Euron because of the small screen time bit. I think Euron would be a fairly substantial role. So I'm going to roll with Elder Brother Meribald or someone in a flashback

Gerold Hightower in the Tower of Joy flashback.

Neither Euron nor Tarly are small roles (the casting call listings emphasized that both were really good, meaty parts). Those roles also wouldn't justify the secrecy. It looks like a small role but that still has an impact; that makes it seem like almost a cameo sort of thing. It being a ToJ Kingsguard would explain why they're tight-lipped around the role's identity. He's the right age and look for Hightower, too.

I can see McShane as the White Bull. Imagine the line "The Kingsguard do not flee" coming from McShane. 

Archived