EW Scoop: Ian McShane Joins Cast

Westeros

If he's Howland Reed then guaranteed Jon's not permanently dead. There is essentially no point in revealing Jon's parentage if he's dead dead, because the only possible purpose after he dies is if he's left an "heir" behind and the only women he could have done that with is also dead.

If they haven't abandoned the Iron Islands plotline completely then I would think he fits into that culture in terms of how he's been typecast across several roles; which perhaps he wants to avoid. So he could be cast into a different role again. He could be a Maester at the citadel. Given I hope we will be seeing a new plotline form around Sam in Oldtown, and that he doesn't merely get flushed just to resurface again when he returns to the Wall a fully fledged maester, like Alliser Thorne when he got sent to Kings Landing with a hand in a jar. If there's going to be an Oldtown/Citadel plotline then there needs to be Grand Maesters to run the place and teach the apprentices a la Hogworts.

My guess would be Archmaester Marwyn at the Citadel. We're going there in S6 if the location reports are true enough and I think he could do that role well, he's capably of doing pretty much any role anyway.

Sam is already heading that way so they'll need a good lead actor to get people interested in that plotline, and having a well known person with Sam would help there.

I seriously feel that Howland Reed is gonna appear on the show, he's a very minor character despite the information he may have regarding Jon. Plus with the huge cast they already have they are unlikely to add in another new character simply to reveal a piece of info to another one who is possibly not coming back at all. They never included Lady Stoneheart, Aegon, Arianne, Quentyn and all those guys had much bigger roles to play in the story the Reed does, especially considering he's not even appeared in the books yet.

Any info on Jon's parents could be passed to the viewers by other characters provided is was done well, in fact that seems to be what they were setting Littlefinger up for as he seemed to know a lot about Lyanna and Rhaegar when he was in the Winterfell crypts.

Great actor, personally would love to see him as Arthur Dayne in a TOJ flashback

Yea, not seeing much love for this option...? You'd need someone with gravitas, it's a small but pivotal role. They could film the whole thing and then tease little snippets for some time before they go the whole hog and show Lyanna. Plus (possible S6 spoilers)

[spoiler]There was a location spoiler of a place that looked like the ToJ wasn't there?[/spoiler]

Wow, great news.  He's an incredible actor.  He would be amazing as Randyl Tarly.  He's got such a strong presence, poor John Bradley would be completely outmatched in their scenes together - which is exactly the dynamic needed for scenes between Sam and his dad.  

I guess he could also be Howland Reed, a Northern Lord or Elder Brother/Meribald.  He'd be great as just about anything.  Euron...I think he is too old for that role personally, but they cast Cirian Hinds as Mance, so it's possible with D&D.  I just hope if they go the Euron route they don't criminally misuse him like they did with Hinds as Mance.  

OMG...PROOF THERE WILL BE A LADY STONEHEART!!!!1111!!!

lol okay...got that out of system.

Character-wise, I think he *could* play a good Greyjoy (Hey was a Lovejoy, after all.. :drunk: ), but the actor is too old to be accurate to the books, but alas, the show does what it will.

He would be more convincing as a Randyll Tarly as above posters have stated or a Maester Marwyn. Gruff yet smart, akin to his Al Swearengen character on Deadwood.

As for him being the Crannogman...again, a situation to where he's too tall, too...substantial to play Howland Reed according to Book Canon...but again, HBO does what HBO wants, so who knows.

My first thought upon reading this was Authur Dayne. Randyll would be my second option.

The casting call interpreted to be for Dayne calls for 'the best swordsman in Europe' for a week of fighting scenes. Even if they don't get what they want, they'll at least want someone in the top 1000. As good as McShane looks for a 72-year-old, he's not that guy.

He doesn't have the right stature to play Howleed Reed, remember that the crannogman was supposed to be short and slender...McShane is neither of these. He's got the right physique for Tarly or Marwyn however.

I didn't realize he was 72, that may lean me more towards Marwyn as the more likely role for him, although I agree with what was said about him outmatching John Bradley. No disrespect to Bradley but that's a dynamic that would completely work in this sense, McShane is as intimidating as hell.

I'm hoping for Marwyn...he's like the Al Swearengen of Maesters. I mean, can't you visialize the following line by Marwyn being stated by Al Swearengen?

"...a prophecy is like a treacherous woman. She takes your member in her mouth, and you moan with the pleasure of it and think, how sweet, how fine, how good this is... and then her teeth snap shut and your moans turn to screams. That is the nature of prophecy, said Gorghan. Prophecy will bite your prick off every time."

I can!!! lol

Season 5 being a clusterfuck is your personal, wholly subjective opinion not a fact. Its the most watched season yet and the best reviewed other than the first. For real tho some of you need to step out of the echo chamber once in a while. 

And Justin Bieber makes $80 million per year.

And Justin Bieber makes $80 million per year.

And Justin Bieber is universally panned by every critic and the mainstream and isn't a big deal outside the States/Canada/UK.

GoT meanwhile, is universally praised from critics all over, it's beloved across the planet not just the States and is recognized as one of the greatest shows of all time that achieves massive milestones for the entire medium and will be remembered for decades to come. Not a very good comparison. 

Even on this forum, the show haters are a vocal minority while most people like the show. 

Archived