Achilles vs Theseus

Laughing Storm Reborn

Never understood, besides the popularity of the Troy film (written by DB lol) why lots of people would say myth Achilles would beat myth Theseus...

In the myths both are demigods (but Theseus is a more powerfull one, being a son of Poseidon), but people tend to say Achilles would beat him because he is invulnerable besides his heel...

But Theseus can pretty much break Achilles bones until he confesses his weakness out of pain...

Theseus is a more powerful demigod, more impressive feats against monsters, founder of wrestling and boxing (in unarmed combat he is superior to achilles), and they both have the same level of armed skill (god-like)...

So folks, if you think Achilles would beat him, lets discuse it... :cheers:

I think, not sure, Achilles fights with a few century newer wepons. So that should help him out. I have no doubt Thesus is more clever though.

(Neither of them are as powerful as Hercules)

In terms of raw power and strenght, yes i agree... Hercules has more

Achilles would be the winner there is no question. Also I would like to right a long post why but I don't think that anyone will unferstand it since it would be in my first language.

What´s your first language? I'm completely on the other side though, i think Achilles never faced monsters of the level Theseus defeated... myth Theseus (not the travesty that was the Immortals movie)

In terms of raw power and strenght, yes i agree... Hercules has more

What´s your first language? I'm completely on the other side though, i think Achilles never faced monsters of the level Theseus defeated... myth Theseus (not the travesty that was the Immortals movie)

Greek. For me mythology was my bedtime stories so I kind of know what I am talking about. Theseus may had slayed Minotaur but if it wasn't for Αριαδνη (I am not sure how is the name in English) he would be dead in the labyrinth.

Greek. For me mythology was my bedtime stories so I kind of know what I am talking about. Theseus may had slayed Minotaur but if it wasn't for Αριαδνη (I am not sure how is the name in English) he would be dead in the labyrinth.

Ariadne?? Yeah i know, i´m just talking about martial prowess, he would´ve died trying to get out but, he killed the freakin Minotaur, was a prodigy as a teen learning unarmed combat and how to use your foes weight against them, dozens of underworld creatures on his way to his father in Athens, amazons with hercules, centaurs, got himself in trouble with Hades etc, etc...

I´m Portuguese, so i can´t say i know more than you about your own stories lol, but they are fascinating even compared to today´s attemps...

PS: let´s not talk about Euro 2004, just myths...

Ariadne?? Yeah i know, i´m just talking about martial prowess, he would´ve died trying to get out but, he killed the freakin Minotaur, was a prodigy as a teen learning unarmed combat and how to use your foes weight against them, dozens of underworld creatures on his way to his father in Athens, amazons with hercules, centaurs, got himself in trouble with Hades etc, etc...

Looking at raw power then I have to give the point to Achilles but when it comes to mind I think that is Theseus. I always thought those two as the human Ares and Athena. Before you say "LOL no way" let me explain. Athena like Theseus was the stratigos, mind, when Ares and Achilles was the power and passion.

I´m Portuguese, so i can´t say i know more than you about your own stories lol, but they are fascinating even compared to today´s attemps...

I am not saying that someone cannot know more that I do. I was talking about the mention of the Immortals thing.

PS: let´s not talk about Euro 2004, just myths...

Let's not talk abut it.

[spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] :devil:[spoiler]  :devil: [spoiler] :devil:[spoiler]  :devil: [spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] [/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler] [/spoiler][/spoiler]

Looking at raw power then I have to give the point to Achilles but when it comes to mind I think that is Theseus. I always thought those two as the human Ares and Athena. Before you say "LOL no way" let me explain. Athena like Theseus was the stratigos, mind, when Ares and Achilles was the power and passion.

I am not saying that someone cannot know more that I do. I was talking about the mention of the Immortals thing.

Let's not talk abut it.

[spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] :devil:[spoiler]  :devil: [spoiler] :devil:[spoiler]  :devil: [spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] :devil: [spoiler] [/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler][/spoiler] [/spoiler][/spoiler]

My basis of why i believe theseus would win in a 1v1 fight really just has some points...

- Both are demigods (but Theseus is a son of a more powerfull one)

- Unarmed combat i have to give it to Theseus, he has monumental feats with his wrestling and boxing (of wich he is a major patron in the myths)

- Both have great feats with sword and lance

Then why Theseus?? He would not know about the heel, BUT the fight with weapons would be on par, but being a powerful demigod son of Poseidon Achilles would not be able to kill him before Theseus (the smarter of the two) decides to win it by unarmed combat and break Achilles´s bones until he´s completely powerless to fight, hence the pleading for some heel punishment...

Out of curiosity, wich one tends to be more loved/respected in Greece? Heracles, Jason, Perseus, Theseus, Achilles or Odysseus?

Defeating monsters isn't really the same as defeating a human whose only weak point is on his heels.  And you'd think Achilles would probably cover those weak points if going up against someone like Theseus.

The movie Troy sucked in a lot of ways, but at least Sean Bean played a character who didn't die. ;)

Defeating monsters isn't really the same as defeating a human whose only weak point is on his heels.  And you'd think Achilles would probably cover those weak points if going up against someone like Theseus.

The movie Troy sucked in a lot of ways, but at least Sean Bean played a character who didn't die. ;)

Yep, Sean Bean survived the Trojan War and dies in a lot less violent conflicts... :dunno:

Regarding Achilles immortality, he wouldn´t defeat a guy as powerfull and intelligent as Theseus before Theseus stars using his unarmed combat god-like abilities...

Achilles cannot be killed outside his heel but he can be subdued to the point he can´t move...

Theseus does not have the power of Heracles but he sure has more strenght than Achiles, the moment he realises they are on par with sword and lance, he would go for the bones and muscles...

They're both total shits to be honest. But then again, all the mythic heroes were. 

That´s what´s amazing, even then they knew how to write about grey hearted people, but believe me, for what was acceptable and regular then, they were pretty okay chaps lol

They're both total shits to be honest. But then again, all the mythic heroes were. 

Based on what?

My basis of why i believe theseus would win in a 1v1 fight really just has some points...

- Both are demigods (but Theseus is a son of a more powerfull one)

- Unarmed combat i have to give it to Theseus, he has monumental feats with his wrestling and boxing (of wich he is a major patron in the myths)

- Both have great feats with sword and lance

Then why Theseus?? He would not know about the heel, BUT the fight with weapons would be on par, but being a powerful demigod son of Poseidon Achilles would not be able to kill him before Theseus (the smarter of the two) decides to win it by unarmed combat and break Achilles´s bones until he´s completely powerless to fight, hence the pleading for some heel punishment...

Out of curiosity, wich one tends to be more loved/respected in Greece? Heracles, Jason, Perseus, Theseus, Achilles or Odysseus?

I think that the basic difference is the little bath Achilles had which made him something more than just a Goddess son.

From what I have seen people like Hercules, Achilles and Odysseus more. Perseus and Theseus are almost forgotten and Jason is remembered mostly for Medea and less about Argonautic expedition.

Theseus left Ariadne after she helps him kil the Minotaur in exchange for him taking her away. Achilles is a big whiny man baby lmao. 

This is coming from someone who just graduated from her Ancient History degree :P :D So don't get me wrong - I LOVE Ancient literature but these dudes were mostly assholes...except Oedipus...I love that poor guy :(

Yep, Sean Bean survived the Trojan War and dies in a lot less violent conflicts... :dunno:

Regarding Achilles immortality, he wouldn´t defeat a guy as powerfull and intelligent as Theseus before Theseus stars using his unarmed combat god-like abilities...
Achilles cannot be killed outside his heel but he can be subdued to the point he can´t move...
Theseus does not have the power of Heracles but he sure has more strenght than Achiles, the moment he realises they are on par with sword and lance, he would go for the bones and muscles...

Sean Bean, I thought was the sole survivor of the Trojan war.

There's no doubt Thesus is a thug, (he did cap the monster) but Sean Bean managed to punk some of Posidons kids, and he's human.
Achilles on the other hand was the deciding factor in a war between the two power houses of the realm. Ajax, a demigod from Zeus', was not even worthy of his armor ( I love that part)

That´s what´s amazing, even then they knew how to write about grey hearted people, but believe me, for what was acceptable and regular then, they were pretty okay chaps lol

I'd say they were all pretty terrible, fascinating stories though

I think that the basic difference is the little bath Achilles had which made him something more than just a Goddess son.

From what I have seen people like Hercules, Achilles and Odysseus more. Perseus and Theseus are almost forgotten and Jason is remembered mostly for Medea and less about Argonautic expedition.

I know about his immortallity and the river styx, but Theseus could very well break his bones and leave Achilles powerless without dying, that´s the key, he doesn´t need to kill him, just use his superior intelligence, unarmed combat and strenght to put him down until he gives up...

Achilles cannot die but he can be broken...

That´s a shame lol, Theseus is my greek myth hero, a great leader, fighter and founder... a shame he´s so forgotten :bang:

Theseus left Ariadne after she helps him kil the Minotaur in exchange for him taking her away. Achilles is a big whiny man baby lmao. 

This is coming from someone who just graduated from her Ancient History degree :P :D So don't get me wrong - I LOVE Ancient literature but these dudes were mostly assholes...except Oedipus...I love that poor guy :(

Yep, but Ariadne then became a goddess by Dyonisius´s wish, so she ended up better than Theseus... karma lol

Remember who protected and sheltered Oedipus in Athens and saved his daughters,... :cool4:

There's no doubt Thesus is a thug, (he did cap the monster) but Sean Bean managed to punk some of Posidons kids, and he's human.
Achilles on the other hand was the deciding factor in a war between the two power houses of the realm. Ajax, a demigod from Zeus', was not even worthy of his armor ( I love that part)

I just think what Theseus faced is enough for us to believe he is pretty superior to Ajax, and then equal to Achilles with sword and lance... but the game changes when a machine of unarmed combat uses his wrestling and strenght he used against monsters to break Achilles´s arms and joints...

Just my humble opinion...

I know about his immortallity and the river styx, but Theseus could very well break his bones and leave Achilles powerless without dying, that´s the key, he doesn´t need to kill him, just use his superior intelligence, unarmed combat and strenght to put him down until he gives up...

Achilles cannot die but he can be broken...

That´s a shame lol, Theseus is my greek myth hero, a great leader, fighter and founder... a shame he´s so forgotten :bang:

I like the Gods more than the Heroes. I have a thing about trying to understand what the Gods and the Goddesses represent.

I like the Gods more than the Heroes. I have a thing about trying to understand what the Gods and the Goddesses represent.

Plenty of great issues to study on those aswell :bowdown:

I think the reason Robert baratheon is my favourite character is that the path from young hero to midlife crisis gets me interested in a reader perspective, we have so much redemption stories nowadays that some tragic ones become as interesting as they were millenia ago

Archived