The Valkyrie of the FM - theory about the First and the First Reborn

sweetsunray

On August 2, 2015 at 3:09 PM, sweetsunray said:

I have a crackpot theory that the FM have some prophecy or at least some recruitment profile regarding a rare girl with Valkyrie-like abilities or role.

Not crackpot at all. Very well done!

On 8/23/2015 at 7:21 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Here LmL:

Euron's dragon egg was "tossed into the sea" which is code for left in Braavos, with the FM, as payment for offing Balon.

The titan of Braavos is made of stone, and is symbolic if the city.

Arya will wake a dragon from stone.

You know I always thought the waking dragon from stone had to do with the volcano underneath Dragonstone erupting similar sweetsunray's theory that there will be an earthquake in the vale that will destroy the bloody gate. 

On 7/14/2016 at 4:10 AM, Manderly's Rat Cook said:

A link to house swan and sexuality is the Black Swan, another famous courtesan from house Swann, i think her name was Johanna Swann, and she ruled Lys.

Does anyone else find it interesting that the only other two Johanna's occur in House Lannister; Lady Johanna Westerling wife of Lord Jason Lannister, who successfully evaded the Red Kraken Dalton Greyjoy's attack; Lady Johanna Lannister [her namesake] wife of Tywin who was dismissed by Queen Rhaella because she did not approve of the King making whores of her ladies. 

On 7/17/2016 at 11:37 AM, LmL said:

The crossover between moon maidens and swan maidens is a natural one, because George is doing a lot with moons and tides, moons and floods, moons and pools, that sort of thing. Whenever you have time to get into my podcasts or essays (they are the same), you'll see more of what I am talking about. Dany's scene at the Womb of the World is a good example. 

Basically, this all goes back to the sea dragon idea: the sea dragon which the Grey King slew was said to drown whole islands in her wroth (note the feminine). My basic theory revolves around the idea that comets and meteors can be perceived and described as dragons, and so a moon cracking to birth dragons is really telling us about a moon disaster event which birthed meteors. When a meteor dragon lands in the sea, it's a sea dragon, and the tsunamis it triggers drown islands and land near the ocean. The moon drowns, in other words, and it triggers a flood tide. It's really thick in Asha Greyjoy's "Wayward Bride" chapter, with Asha being a wayward moon maiden and lots of drowning and bloody moon symbolism. Sansa has a scene with her first moon blood which also plays into this symbolism ( @sweetsunray, tha's episode four, "Waves of Night and Moon Blood," which you really need to check out!). Dany's is bloody and pregnant when she dips into her cold black lake, so more bloody and drowning moon symbolism... anyway, it goes on and on. I guess the point is that the swan mythology dovetails very nicely into drowning moon maiden ideas, so it makes sense that he would use it and integrate it so well. 

I wonder if you have heard about the legend of Jurate and Kastytis. It is more in line with the Durran and Elenei but in an earlier comment you mentioned that the Grey King and Durran story could be the same story. I mention this because the legend explains washed up amber from the Baltic Sea shaped like tears. And we know that amber is just fossilized tree sap but it was also could electrum by the Greeks and in the series the electrum link in a measter's chain is associated with astrology.

On August 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Pain killer Jane said:

House Greenfield's seat is Greenfield, an entire home made out of Weirwood and their current lord is named Garth. 

Oh that's a nice catch. I'm working on an episode all about Ironborn mythology and I am getting into the weirwood connections  (Nagga's weirwood bones, the Grey King making ships from a weirwood, and the fire of the gods burning tree which I believe also represents a weirwood, since their red leaves are like "bloody hands" and "bits of flame"). Garth the green is indeed the OG greenseer IMO, and his legend dovetails into that of the Green Men on the Isle of Faces. A weirwood castle? You don't fucking say. I'll have to go check that out, cheers. 

43 minutes ago, LmL said:

Oh that's a nice catch. I'm working on an episode all about Ironborn mythology and I am getting into the weirwood connections  (Nagga's weirwood bones, the Grey King making ships from a weirwood, and the fire of the gods burning tree which I believe also represents a weirwood, since their red leaves are like "bloody hands" and "bits of flame"). Garth the green is indeed the OG greenseer IMO, and his legend dovetails into that of the Green Men on the Isle of Faces. A weirwood castle? You don't fucking say. I'll have to go check that out, cheers. 

That was a nice catch @Pain killer Jane and it made me run and check it out as well. This is what I found LmL  (if you haven't checked it out already):

• The World of Ice and Fire - The Westerlands

Many and more great houses trace their roots back to this golden age of the First Men. Amongst these are the Hawthornes, the Footes, the Brooms, and the Plumms. On Fair Isle, the longships of the Farmans helped defend the western coast against ironborn reavers. The Greenfields raised a vast timber castle called the Bower (now simply Greenfield), built entirely of weirwood. The Reynes of Castamere made a rich system of mines, caves, and tunnels as their own subterranean seat, whilst the Westerlings built the Crag above the waves. Other houses sprang from the loins of legendary heroes, of whom tales are told to this very day: the Crakehalls from Crake the Boarkiller, the Baneforts from the Hooded Man, the Yews from the Blind Bowman Alan o' the Oak, the Morelands from Pate the Plowman.

2 hours ago, LmL said:

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That was a nice catch @Pain killer Jane

Thank you very much both of you. Always glad to help. I have something else to contribute on your weirwood trees, LmL. I was thinking about Rowan Gold-Tree and her legend and I thought that it possibly might be older than Garth Greenhand as there is a temple Garden of Gelenei in Braavos with a gilded (gold) tree and leaves of silver. And in thinking of these golden trees it led me to the Goldenheart trees of the Summer Isles. I know that weirwoods are silvery white with red leaves but the tree in the Garden of Gelenei is both silver and gold. And I think it was you or sweetsunray that mentioned green going to black in times of battle and we know that ironwood exist in Westeros and Ebony in the Summer Isle and the black-barked trees produce the shade of the evening, perhaps the aberration of gold and silver trees is inline with that thought about green going to black. Goldenheart wood after all is used exclusively to make bows.  

Also the temple of the Lord of Harmony in Braavos is made out of wood. I don't know what type of wood but I figured I would mention it since we have central character associated with Naath. 

I figured I should mention this about Gelenei, I posted this thought on the World of Ice and Fire forum and someone pointed out that the name Gelenei seemed similar to Elenei. On that thread I also pointed out that in Qarth there is a Garden of Gehane where Xaro pointed out to Dany that there was ghost grass growing there since the dragons had been born. I don't have Clash with me right now so I can't post the quote. 

P.S.:

Ser Garth Greenfield was captured during the Battle of the Whispering Woods and was kept prisoner at Raventree Hall. 

Here is the quote:

Xaro looked troubled. "And so it was, then. But now? I am less certain. It is said that the glass candles are burning in the house of Urrathon Night-Walker, that have not burned in a hundred years. Ghost grass grows in the Garden of Gehane, phantom tortoises have been seen carrying messages between the windowless houses on Warlock's Way, and all the rats in the city are chewing off their tails. The wife of Mathos Mallarawan, who once mocked a warlock's drab moth-eaten robe, has gone mad and will wear no clothes at all. Even fresh-washed silks make her feel as though a thousand insects were crawling on her skin. And Blind Sybassion the Eater of Eyes can see again, or so his slaves do swear. A man must wonder." He sighed. 

40 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

Thank you very much both of you. Always glad to help.

Thanks from me too to you. At present I have little time to expand too much into my own ideas, but I do take note of your contributions, such as on the blog, or hoped others may think it useful for their ideas.

If you don't have the books with you to search for a quote you can always try the website asearchoficeandfire. Just plug in the word or phrase you're looking for, select the book and if possible the POV. And you'll get quotes per 3 paragraphs to sort through. Especially for this type of analysis it's incredibly useful.  

37 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Thanks from me too to you. At present I have little time to expand too much into my own ideas, but I do take note of your contributions, such as on the blog, or hoped others may think it useful for their ideas.

If you don't have the books with you to search for a quote you can always try the website asearchoficeandfire. Just plug in the word or phrase you're looking for, select the book and if possible the POV. And you'll get quotes per 3 paragraphs to sort through. Especially for this type of analysis it's incredibly useful.  

Thank you @sweetsunray . :D

• 2 weeks later...

@sweetsunray hey I know everyone on the thread noticed the Valkyrie and Swan connection and some picked up on swan lake but there is also something else that unites music, death and swans. The idiom of a person's swan song and the legend that swans sing the most beautiful song of their lives in the moments before their death. 

50 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

@sweetsunray hey I know everyone on the thread noticed the Valkyrie and Swan connection and some picked up on swan lake but there is also something else that unites music, death and swans. The idiom of a person's swan song and the legend that swans sing the most beautiful song of their lives in the moments before their death. 

Agreed - we actually mentioned in Dutch "zwanenzang" aka Swan song.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived