The Beginning of TWOW. Will this happen?

KingStannisFan

While I believe Stannis will surely die, I don't think it happens prior to the pink letter or even during the battle.  The contents of the letter give that away, unless you think both Theon and "Arya" have escaped Stannis' camp.  Ramsay demands those 2 things from Jon and since both are in his camp just prior to the battle (and especially since Theon is in chains), its hard to believe Stannis got crushed and neither character was captured.

Its entirely possible that Ramsay received a raven saying that Stannis' army was shattered and he was slain in the battle, leading him to believe it.  Someone like Manderley could be behind that deception, but given that Ramsay rides along with the attacking group, its difficult to pull off.  I think the Freys fall for Stannis' lake trap and the Manderleys smash the retreating Freys.  Stannis' death is faked and the Manderley host returns his sword to Ramsay as proof of his death.  They return to Winterfell where Ramsay pens the pink letter, telling of his "victory".  I also think quite a few of Stannis' men will be donning Frey costumes from the fallen soldiers.  

It's a clever strategy, but it could all be ruined if Ramsay becomes too eager and rushes his force in head-strong to confront Stannis, which wouldn't be out of character for him.

I think Stannis will eventually die, perhaps even after winning winterfell back from the Boltons, I just don't think he will die in this particular battle.

You probably think Barristan is doomed too.

Shame upon you! Shame I say!

Show canon is irrelevant.

Considering there are two major battles coming up and important people die in battles, there's a very good chance that Stannis and Barristan meet their makers early on in the next book.

Considering there are two major battles coming up and important people die in battles, there's a very good chance that Stannis and Barristan meet their makers early on in the next book.

Stannis has a vision that has yet to be fulfilled though, and it cannot be fulfilled as it is on the show. He can't die in this battle because Shireen and his wife are still, presently, alive, and he hasn't lost everything and is not dying in flame with a crown upon his head or whatever his vision was. He's quite a good candidate for the Night King actually.

Barristan could die I suppose, he kind of has to if Dany is going full on Darth Vader, so I agree with you on this one. He'll die more heroically than he supposedly did in the show (didn't see it, just watch Elio and Linda's recaps).

• 2 weeks later...

I know Stannis believes that vision with the crown is about himself, but it sounds so much like Viserys' death... always made me wonder, that's what he saw - Viserys dying with his molten golden crown.

Wow, this is a great idea. There are a lot of different things to consider so I'm not buying it quite yet, but there is definitely enough potential that I'll be thinking on it for awhile.

On another note, it is obvious that anyone who says Stannis' end will be anything like how it was on the show has either not read ADWD, read it once when it first came out, or have very poor reading comprehension. It cannot happen in the books the way it happened on the show.

Archived