Max von Sydow tweeting Eric Roberts?

Coxy

I am probably a complete sucker but the official enough looking twitter account of Max von Sydow has tweeted that he's happy to be joining Game of Thrones tagging in Maisie Williams, Iwan Rheon, Nicolai CW, Sophie Turner, and Eric Roberts? Am I missing something?? Obviously my question relates to why Eric Roberts, because I know Max has already been announced. Could it be we've got our Euron?

Eric Roberts was an HBO guy too

He was in Season 1 of Oz. He played a serial killer who was on death row for killing a bunch of women, and I have to say that he was amazing in it. Anyone who is interested and has HBOGO then he's only in a couple of episodes. If he is playing Euron then it kind of makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfcfUP63aPQ

Only video I could find of one of his scenes, careful, lots of talk about killing women

Hope this is true about Euron. Oz never received the accolades it deserved. For what ever reason, people seem to value the Wire more. Oz was amazing and changed everything about TV. It was sort of like dostoevsky/kafka meets david lynch in the 90's. Amazing performances throughout it. I'd love to see GOT use more of those actors. 

I find it strange he doesn't include in his tweet Isaac H W (Bran) and Kristian Nairn Hodor) who are with him in the cave and also on Twitter. I don't think he'll have scenes with the ones he mentioned (Arya, Sansa, Ramsay). Nikolaj (Jaime) is also Scandinavian and he also tweeted about Max von Sydow joining the cast.

And indeed Eric Roberts has a lot of roles, I wonder if he has the time to do something extra.

Hope this is true about Euron. Oz never received the accolades it deserved. For what ever reason, people seem to value the Wire more. Oz was amazing and changed everything about TV. It was sort of like dostoevsky/kafka meets david lynch in the 90's. Amazing performances throughout it. I'd love to see GOT use more of those actors. 

OZ was amazing but we need to remember, it got EXTREMELY silly by the end (fashion shows on deathrow with minimal security, Robson allowing himself to get raped by that huge black dude to give him AIDs) which put loads of people off and tainted the show by the end of it and it was quickly overshadowed by the TV behemoth that is Sopranos.

There is no question about the amazing cast though, it's only beat by the Wire and GOT in my opinion.

Who knows if this is true, but if it is a wind-up then you'd think they'd have put Mads Mikklesen or another fan-cast favourite for a role.

Eric Roberts strikes me as a bit unexpectedly out of nowhere, and yet equally the right kind of calibre and price range for a role, whilst also IMO being a very good fit for one of the roles we know they've been casting for.

Not sure about Roberts. I like him in everything he is in, but I'm not sure if that's because he's a super great actor that loses himself in the role or because he's just a really charismatic likable guy (much like George Clooney and others who just play themselves over and over). I wonder if he'll really be able to lose himself in the role of Euron, or if it will just be a british accent Eric Roberts with an eye patch and a wig.

OZ was amazing but we need to remember, it got EXTREMELY silly by the end (fashion shows on deathrow with minimal security, Robson allowing himself to get raped by that huge black dude to give him AIDs) which put loads of people off and tainted the show by the end of it and it was quickly overshadowed by the TV behemoth that is Sopranos.

There is no question about the amazing cast though, it's only beat by the Wire and GOT in my opinion.

Agreed. It took a decline after Adebisi died. But I thought that Season 6 was a rebound. Similar opinions though with the Wire. Seasons 1-3 were amazing. 4 was meh and I thought the final season was out of this world silly. For all it's realism, I was always really happy that Oz was never scared to dabble in the world of the surreal. It had some real Twin Peaks moments in there. I feel like the Wire was great but in the end, it was a cop show. Plots aside, what I loved about Oz was that at its core, it was really a series of greek tragedies and a study of humanity when debased to its most primitive conditions, trying to survive in a brutal world and still maintain/develop/lose some sort of moral system. Regardless, both were amazing shows! I really wish that Dominic West and Lance Reddick could find a spot on GOT somewhere. Lance Reddick was amazing in both Oz and The Wire. And I know it will never happen, but it would be awesome to see Ernie Hudson somewhere on the show. He's been in 3 things that I already love or loved growing up- Ghostbusters, the Crow, and Oz.  

Archived