Max von Sydow tweeting Eric Roberts?

Coxy

Not sure about Roberts. I like him in everything he is in, but I'm not sure if that's because he's a super great actor that loses himself in the role or because he's just a really charismatic likable guy (much like George Clooney and others who just play themselves over and over). I wonder if he'll really be able to lose himself in the role of Euron, or if it will just be a british accent Eric Roberts with an eye patch and a wig.

No. He's a really good actor who can lose himself in the role. Just check him out in a little movie called Star 80. Very scary. And I think it's too early to assume he's playing Euron. In fact, he could be playing some nobody like the Mr Eko actor did. They seem to be hiring a lot of known actors and putting them in small roles which I don't really like.

Agreed. It took a decline after Adebisi died. But I thought that Season 6 was a rebound. Similar opinions though with the Wire. Seasons 1-3 were amazing. 4 was meh and I thought the final season was out of this world silly. For all it's realism, I was always really happy that Oz was never scared to dabble in the world of the surreal. It had some real Twin Peaks moments in there. I feel like the Wire was great but in the end, it was a cop show. Plots aside, what I loved about Oz was that at its core, it was really a series of greek tragedies and a study of humanity when debased to its most primitive conditions, trying to survive in a brutal world and still maintain/develop/lose some sort of moral system. Regardless, both were amazing shows! I really wish that Dominic West and Lance Reddick could find a spot on GOT somewhere. Lance Reddick was amazing in both Oz and The Wire. And I know it will never happen, but it would be awesome to see Ernie Hudson somewhere on the show. He's been in 3 things that I already love or loved growing up- Ghostbusters, the Crow, and Oz.  

Beecher shitting on Vern's face near the end of Season 1 is still one of the most satisfying moments of revenge I have ever seen, I hope Theon does something just as amazing and humiliating to Ramsay before he dies. 

I would also totally accept J.K Simmons as Manderly, even if he isn't fat he can nail that harmless looking guy who's secretly terrifying role with ease.

It might be a twitter typo no one's caught yet. Am I wrong or Isn't Peter Dinklage the only American actor on Game of Thrones?

I guess it isn't a rule, and Eric can definitely do creepy... I guess we'll find out :)

Eric Roberts himself retweeted it though. 

That's a good question regarding Americans on GoT. Pedro Pascal was born in Chile but really grew up in California and is an American citizen so I'd say he qualifies. Jason Momoa was the only other of the whole entire cast!

I don't think an American accent or some kind of off British - Midlantic accent would be too distracting coming from a travelled pirate. I don't think it'd be an issue.

As far as the authenticity of this, I have no idea. It would be odd for Eric to retweet if he has no involvement. Since the tweet everyone involved is very silent on the matter, but I guess that could mean it could go either way.

That's a good question regarding Americans on GoT. Pedro Pascal was born in Chile but really grew up in California and is an American citizen so I'd say he qualifies. Jason Momoa was the only other of the whole entire cast!

Don't forget Rosabell (Tyne.) She's American.

Okay I can't believe I forgot Jason Momoa. I love Momoa. I'm a dork. There was an article for Peter's B-day that said he was the only American on GoT so I guess that just stuck in my head.

I don't think they have a problem with American actors, it's just that very few seem to be able to pull off a passable british accent. When they do they generally go for RP or cockney. So for GoT they are probably only going to get cast in roles where either the accent suits or they barely speak. I think Peters accent is pretty good.

MvS's purported Facebook account says it's ran in conjunction with one of his sons who, when you take a look at his page, seems to like leaving clues. He posted a link to an article about the exciting GoT season 6 scripts on the 17th July. Obviously long before MvS was announced. Possibly a connection. Possibly me just reading way too much into it and being slightly obsessive.

MvS's purported Facebook account says it's ran in conjunction with one of his sons who, when you take a look at his page, seems to like leaving clues. He posted a link to an article about the exciting GoT season 6 scripts on the 17th July. Obviously long before MvS was announced. Possibly a connection. Possibly me just reading way too much into it and being slightly obsessive.

Whether it's a verified account or not is irrelevant at this point. The only thing that's relevant is that Eric Roberts retweeted it. That's the only thing that makes this story significant. 

I don't think they have a problem with American actors, it's just that very few seem to be able to pull off a passable british accent. When they do they generally go for RP or cockney. So for GoT they are probably only going to get cast in roles where either the accent suits or they barely speak. I think Peters accent is pretty good.

Partly the accents, but actors' contract expectations and union rules etc. might also play a role. British actors are cheaper and less regulated.

Not sure about Roberts. I like him in everything he is in, but I'm not sure if that's because he's a super great actor that loses himself in the role or because he's just a really charismatic likable guy (much like George Clooney and others who just play themselves over and over). I wonder if he'll really be able to lose himself in the role of Euron, or if it will just be a british accent Eric Roberts with an eye patch and a wig.

If you think ER can't act creepy and manipulative, try watching "Star 80" with him playing against Mariel Hemingway. *shudders* 

If you think ER can't act creepy and manipulative, try watching "Star 80" with him playing against Mariel Hemingway. *shudders* 

Someone also mentioned that earlier in the thread. If it were Roberts, I'd definitely be happy, I just haven't seen him in much. Best of the Best and Dark Knight are the only things I can think of recently. Maybe I'll have to check out Star 80 if he is indeed casted.

He has such a great look - good looking guy but at the same time he has a very unique face that can come across as sort of distorted and evil looking. 

Beecher shitting on Vern's face near the end of Season 1 is still one of the most satisfying moments of revenge I have ever seen, I hope Theon does something just as amazing and humiliating to Ramsay before he dies. 

I would also totally accept J.K Simmons as Manderly, even if he isn't fat he can nail that harmless looking guy who's secretly terrifying role with ease.

Hahahaha yeah, I was thinking about this thread the other night and I felt like coming back just to say the same thing about Beecher/Vern. I've watched the series with a few different people now and it never fails, when that scene happens, everyone starts cheering like it's a football game.

Archived