R+L=J v. 152

BearQueen87

As far as I'm aware we only know of one KiTN named Jon. I'm also leaning towards Ned naming Jon after a former KiTN. I don't think it has anything to do with prophecy though. He is passing off a legitimate child as a bastard but gives him the name of a northern king.

Interesting. Though all of his other sons follow the pattern of naming them after men he was close with in real life. I guess Jon's name could have a double meaning in that regard, but we'll likely never know. Unless... Jon was actually the name Rhaegar and Lyanna had picked for their potential son. I think that is unlikely considering Rhaegar named his other children in the traditional Targaryen fashion.

I guess one thing is that he treated Jon as his own son due to his love in his dead sister, the other thing is that anyway himself is foster father to Jon just like Jon Aryn to himself. 

That's a reasonable explanation.

May I go a tad off-topic here? :P

Last time I logged in, this topic was on a v.40-ish and now it's almost 4 times that. Is there that much to be discussed yet? (well, I guess there is).  Anyway, this is one of my favourites :).

Back on topic

I guess one thing is that he treated Jon as his own son due to his love in his dead sister

He had to. I'm not diminishing Ned's love for Lyanna in any way but, could you imagine how "protective" of Jon Cat would be if she knew the truth? The lady despised  him once she saw him as a proof of Ned's betrayal and that was as important to save his life as what Ned did in the Tower of Joy. I mean, he's  royal blood (bastard or not) so there would be many interested on killing the kid. 

I think Ned this for love too but, mostly, to protect Jon. 

I guess one thing is that he treated Jon as his own son due to his love in his dead sister, the other thing is that anyway himself is foster father to Jon just like Jon Arryn to himself. 

Thanks for coining this in a simple sentence.

this is one of my favourites :).

Welcome back.

Are you suggesting that Ned is aware of the prophecies related to Jon? It seems to me that Ned never intends for Jon to become King (as Robert is his King).

No, I think that Jon had a Targaryen name planned for him, but the fact Ned gave Jon the name of a King may be another bread crumb regarding his status.

Interesting. Though all of his other sons follow the pattern of naming them after men he was close with in real life. I guess Jon's name could have a double meaning in that regard, but we'll likely never know. Unless... Jon was actually the name Rhaegar and Lyanna had picked for their potential son. I think that is unlikely considering Rhaegar named his other children in the traditional Targaryen fashion.

Jon isn't his son (biologically anyway) so I could see Ned not following the pattern of naming with Jon.

Welcome back.

Thanks! :)

One thing that I don't understand is why Jon would be king. I get the parenting side but the throne is with the Baratheons now (or Lannisters bastards) so it belongs to Stannis. It was Jon's but only before Robert sat his fatty bum there. 

One question here, I can understand Rhaegar thought Argon was the PTWP by the shooting star on his conceiving night.

But why Rhaegar thought Aegon's song is song of ice and fire?

Neither him nor Elia had anything to do with ice. 

Or he read in the book that the PTWP would have a song of ice and fire?

One question here, I can understand Rhaegar thought Argon was the PTWP by the shooting star on his conceiving night.

But why Rhaegar thought Aegon's song is song of ice and fire?

Neither him nor Elia had anything to do with ice. 

Or he read in the book that the PTWP would have a song of ice and fire?

I think it must be that something he read about TPTWP included a statement that TPTWP would have the Song of Ice and Fire. I can think of no other possible explanation for the statement.

Archived