What a character looks like in your mind?

Sigella

Honestly there are some characters that are so incredibly nice depicted in the books that portraying them in my mind proves itself to be very difficult. I can't really get an image of them in my head and no actor or person in general seems to be a good match. Characters who strike me that way are very rare but one that is very definitive is Rhaegar Targaryen.

Anyone else? Or am I the only one

I always pictured Littlefinger as a sort of debonair, charming version of Snidely Whiplash.

And while I love Sean Bean, and I think he did a fabulous job as Ned Stark, I read the books first and I always envisioned Ned more like Russell Crowe, al a [url=http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/91/c4/3691c4ed740b10aefe1a8458f5108903.jpg]this[/url] picture. Voice and everything.

ETA:

Anyone else? Or am I the only one

I agree. It's very difficult for me to picture Rhaegar as well. He's described as being beautiful and bringing young maidens to tears, but I just can't picture it in my mind. Either with my own imagination, or using an actor or person as a reference.

I always pictured Littlefinger as a sort of debonair, charming version of Snidely Whiplash.

And while I love Sean Bean, and I think he did a fabulous job as Ned Stark, I read the books first and I always envisioned Ned more like Russell Crowe, al a this picture. Voice and everything.
ETA:

I agree. It's very difficult for me to picture Rhaegar as well. He's described as being beautiful and bringing young maidens to tears, but I just can't picture it in my mind. Either with my own imagination, or using an actor or person as a reference.

http://i.imgur.com/QAcSJ.png

cersei was always a blonde Angelina Jolie to me.

Robert was like my down the street neighbor, you could tell he used to be jacked but now he's just a fat piece of shit.

Varys was like Ursula from the little mermaid.

Olenna was and always will be Betty White.

Littlefinger looked completely diffrent in my imagination... Aidan Gillen did an awesome job in the series, but when I started watching, he seemed... wrong. For me, Littlefinger was quite small (about 1.65m maybe) and rather scrawny with black hair, pale skin and a face that somewhat resembled a rat. Aidan is simply too good-looking to fit my image of Littlefinger.

I also had a problem with Lysa Arryn. In the books she's described to be quite fat, yet in the series she's very bony. This always confused me a little.
And wasn't Sweetrobin blonde in the books? I can't remember, but I think so...

Theon also looked different in my mind and so did Ramsay. Theon was black-haired and... more attractive in the classic way for me. Ramsay was taller and more massive with long and greasy black hair.

Asha and Robert seemed wrong to me, too, but I can't really describe how I imagined them.

Jon smiled more.

But I have to admit, Ned, Catelyn, Jaime and Varys are perfectly casted. They are really close to how I imagined them while reading.

At first Joe Mantegna, from his Spenser/Joan of Arcadia days,  played Ned, but later he played Davos.

Jon Snow, for some reason, quickly became a young version of Jon Hensley, who played Holden Snyder on As The World Turns for a lot of years.

In spite of the book description of Tywin's appearance, Anthony Head's Uther Pendragon pretty much took that role, in no small part due to voice.

Kristin Kreuk established herself as Sansa early on, and refuses to be remade to better fit the description of the one in the book.

Arya was always Maria Lark, who played the middle daughter from the TV show Medium.

Tyrion was always a mix of Michael Dunn (Dr. Lovelace on the original TV series version of Wild Wild West),  Armin Shimerman (Quark, on Deep Space 9), and a little, mostly the voice, of Robert Reich (former US Secretary of Labor), although I didn't pay enough attention to George's description of Tyrion's hair (and apparently neither did those who cast the TV series), or he might have wound up looking more like an actual dwarf I used to see around in a certain college town years ago who had a similarly sized sister who I saw once or twice who heavily influenced my mental image of Penny.

Watched the show before reading the books, so that made imaging characters a lot harder. I actually like the show for it, because I really suck at imagining things like people's faces and stuff. Have to say that not many actors felt 'odd' to me. The ones I do think that look different in the books are:

- Jon Snow. He looks badass in the show and in the books he didn't seem to be as confident as he is in the show

- Daario naharis. They are way off there. I know he is 'merged' a bit with brown ben plum.. but he is a 'big' character that really diverts from the books in looks. 

- Ages don't match up, especially with the young Stark kids (and Lannisters too I guess). But I can accept that because the show feels more realistic compared to the books (Arya is 18 now, she looks 15/16 but that's different than being 10/11).

- Mance Raider (didn't feel like the mance in the books..)

I know there are also a lot of minor characters which are less spot on, but I can't really care that much.

Some 'spot on' actors in the show imo are (I'll name the characters because I don't know actor/actresses names and I don't feel like looking them up):

Ygritte 

Stannis

Eddard (Yeah I do know Sean Bean)

Catelyn

Tywin 

Jamie

Cersei

The Mountain S1

The Hound

http://i.imgur.com/QAcSJ.png

Honestly I've heard so many people suggesting him as Rhaegar, but I think he is a bit too badass looking, you know? We do know Rhaegar was a seasoned fighter, but we also knew he was a soft man who could bring maidens to tears while playing his harp. Brad Pitt just doesn't strike me as this kind of person, but you know as I mentioned before I honestly can't see anyone playing Rhaegar

Honestly I've heard so many people suggesting him as Rhaegar, but I think he is a bit too badass looking, you know? We do know Rhaegar was a seasoned fighter, but we also knew he was a soft man who could bring maidens to tears while playing his harp. Brad Pitt just doesn't strike me as this kind of person, but you know as I mentioned before I honestly can't see anyone playing Rhaegar

Yeah, Rhaegar needs to have an air of melancholy to him. I also imagine the Targaryen features as more refined. 

Agreed. I'll never ever forgive the show for forswearing the purple eyes.

When Daenerys sees Rhaegar for the first time in the house of the undying, she mistook him for viserys. This is an artwork that reminded me of Harry Lloyds Viserys. 

http://cascador.deviantart.com/art/Rhaegar-Targaryen-371564529?q=gallery%3ACascador%2F8292598&qo=7

I agree that Rhaegar is the hardest character to picture. The Targs in general are hard to picture, with their purple eyes and unearthly beauty

When Daenerys sees Rhaegar for the first time in the house of the undying, she mistook him for viserys. This is an artwork that reminded me of Harry Lloyds Viserys. 
http://cascador.deviantart.com/art/Rhaegar-Targaryen-371564529?q=gallery%3ACascador%2F8292598&qo=7
I agree that Rhaegar is the hardest character to picture. The Targs in general are hard to picture, with their purple eyes and unearthly beauty

I love this depiction. I'd add some longer hair and I could actually see him portraying Rhaegar. And yes the Targs are hard to picture but the show did a great job with other characters why did they have to mess up the Targs by ignoring the one feature that made them so special, the purple eyes?

Archived