Westeros Football League A

Whiskeyjack

Will use this thread to discuss Westeros A.

Here's the list of people in this league.  I think everyone is returning from last year.

Whiskeyjack

Bronn

Jaime

Fuentez

Mexal

Week

Blu Ray

POTN

Reposado

JJ Lannister

Only person I haven't heard back from is Blu Ray.  Not sure if he's been on the board recently, but will give him another week or so.

Need to figure out a draft date.  This one is a bit difficult this year, because Mexal is going to be on vacation from August 22nd to September 5th.  Since it's an auction, I'd like to have as many people present as possible (hopefully everyone).  So with that in mind, I think these are our best options.

Tuesday August 18

Wednesday August 19

Thursday August 20

Friday August 21

Sunday Sept 6

Monday Sept 7

Tuesday Sept 8

Wednesday Sept 9

The first game of the year is on September 10th, so I'd like to have the draft done before then.  I also have a pretty strong preference to have the draft in the Sept 6 - 9 range, because the August dates listed seem early.  I think those are before the 2nd preseason game.

When are you guys available?  Could one of those September dates work?

Have I bricked out yet? I'm in! I'm in!

Dates-wise, all of those work, though I am anticipating a possible conflict on the 6th - but if we schedule it now, then I get to build my schedule around this rather than trying to fit it in.

(If it's the 6th, I'll make it work one way or another)

I don't like to draft until the end of the pre-season either.  Sept. 6 or 7 work best for me but any of the Aug. dates would work as well.  The only dates I have conflicts with are Sept. 8 & 9 (due to, you guessed it, other FF drafts - my own long-standing league and a local in-person draft at a local watering hole).

However, whatever works best for the most people is the way to go - of course!

Okay, it looks like Monday, September 7th is the best date for the people who have responded (me, Mexal, Bluray, POTN).  I know it's Labor Day.....but hopefully, it also works for everyone else.  If not, let me know ASAP.

For now, setting this one for Monday, Sept 7th at 9 p.m. eastern time.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like my team, with or without a trade for an RB1.

QB: Brady, Brees (Tannehill, Foles, T. Taylor)

WR: D. Thomas, B. Cooks, T. Smith, J. Edelman (M. Bryant, V. Cruz, R. Cooper)

RB: L. Murray, C. Ivory, D. Freeman (B. Sankey, B. Oliver, J. Starks)

TE: Bennett (Donnell)

K: Gostkowski

DT: TBD

I feel the same as Bronn. Could upgrade at RB, but like my team overall.

QB- Ryan, Roethlisberger ( Cousins )
WR- A. Brown, J.Jones, A. Johnson, M. Colton ( Wallace, Fitzgerald, Lafell )
RB- Gore, Ellington, Blount ( Woodhead, Bush, West, Bolden )
TE- Cameron ( Gates )
DEF- Seattle
K- Bryant

First trade of the year in this league.

I get Davante Adams and Carlos Hyde

Dunk gets Mike Evans and Karlos Williams

Don't love giving up the best player in the trade, but I needed an RB3.  So I split Evans into 2 players.  And Dunk upgraded his lineup by trading his 4th RB for a nice WR improvement.

My new team -

QB - A.Rodgers, S.Bradford (B.Hoyer, M.Sanchez)

RB - C.Anderson, C.Hyde, A.Abdullah (A.Williams, C.Johnson, D.Robinson, C.Artis-Payne, B.Cunningham)

WR - T.Hilton, D.Adams, J.Brown, M.Jones (C.Shorts, B.Perriman, K.Aiken)

TE - T.Kelce

K - C.Parkey

DEF - Miami

Evans is the third best fantasy player in that trade, despite being the best .  He'll be open all season but never hit. 

Dunk, you just bought a sh**load of shares in Jameis Winston and the TB OL.  You paid for them in shares of Aaron Rodgers and the 49ers 19th Century offensive game plan.

And you got robbed.

Evans is clearly the best player in the deal - last year he put up a huge year with 100% garbage at QB.

You must have a pretty high opinion of Hyde to think he is anywhere near as valuable as Evans. 2 down back on a losing team that had a half dozen retirements without warning.

The QB situation in TB has gone down, not up.  Rookie QB's don't throw the bomb.  And the OL is even worse.  Whereas the Pack has put Adams in a position with unlimited potential.

Bush is MJD the next generation.  He's done.  Hyde will get all three downs before long.

That's like...your opinion man...plenty of reputable sources vehemently disagree with you.

You are certainly welcome to your view, but don't pretend like we all ought to follow the gospel of Bronn. Temper the outrage just a hair.

Definitely disagree with you Bronn.  I do like Adams a lot, but I wouldn't have done this deal if I wasn't desperate for a RB.  Have been avoiding Hyde in every draft this year, but he was the only logical fit, so I was forced to take him.

I don't know a ton about Winston, but everything I've read has said that he'll throw it deep.  If anything, people say that he's too aggressive.  And he's got to be an upgrade over McCown/Glennon.  I've got Evans ranked 9th this year, and was disappointed that I had to give him up.  Tried to move Hilton first, but Dunk wanted Evans and I had to relent.

Regardless of what you think about the individual players, calling a trade like this robbery is disingenuous at best.  I doubt you'd express that opinion if I wasn't involved.  Case in point - you didn't even mention your Evans hate when he was traded in Experts a few days ago.  And you never went hard after Adams in auctions, in spite of usually having money when he was on the block.  But whatever. 

And the general consensus seems to agree with my opinion.  While there are certainly flaws in looking at draft values, they can at least be a guideline before the season begins.  Here are the costs of Evans, Adams, and Hyde in the 3 auction drafts I've done this year.

Evans - 22, 28, 21 = 23.7 average

Adams - 11, 12, 12 - 11.7 average

Hyde - 10, 12, 12 = 11.3 average

Trade between Bronn and Bluray.

Bronn gets Adrian Peterson, Jerrick McKinnon, Andrew Hawkins, Jay Ajayi

Bluray gets Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, Torrey Smith, Branden Oliver

I definitely wish Bluray had made Bronn pay more, or had traded Gordon instead.  This one isn't very close.  But it is what it is.  Autodrafts are rough, and they make you do regrettable things. 

Do I think big picture WJ got the better end in the trade...a little, but I didn't see it being that grossly unfair and my team should be better because I was very weak at WR.  I liked both Adams and Hyde(as a consistent type back), but I also think the 9ers will be playing catchup a lot more than they'd like which will limit his best attribute...pounding the ball.  If Winston plays anywhere close to what he's replacing, I won't be unhappy. 

Archived