Small Questions v.10103

Jon Weirgaryen

Welcome to the board. A word of warning the show has no relevance when discussing the books. Here are the quote your talking about.

AcoK: Jon III
"For the baby, not for me. If it's a girl, that's not so bad, she'll grow a few years and he'll marry her. But Nella says it's to be a boy, and she's had six and knows these things. He gives the boys to the gods. Come the white cold, he does, and of late it comes more often. That's why he started giving them sheep, even though he has a taste for mutton. Only now the sheep's gone too. Next it will be dogs, till . . ." She lowered her eyes and stroked her belly.
Craster seems to have an agreement with the Others that requires a sacrifice, who knows what they actually do with the sacrifices. Later we learn what they apparently do with his sons.

ASoS: Samwell II
"The boy's brothers," said the old woman on the left. "Craster's sons. The white cold's rising out there, crow. I can feel it in my bones. These poor old bones don't lie. They'll be here soon, the sons."

Note that they refer to the white cold in both references, which brings us to question to they follow the white cold or does the white cold come with them?

Reread the Othor chapter and it becomes very clear that someone or something was keeping it warm when Jeor went out to retrieve Othor and Jafer so the whights with blue eyes would remain dormant. Once they were brought to Castle Black, Jon noted a cold wind blowing from beyond the Wall. The buggers were waking Othor and Jafer up!

Does Stannis ever eally sleep with Melisandre?

I'm not trolling, I swear.

So me and my friend were discussing shadow babies and if Mel would ever use them while she's at the Wall when he asked me how she made the first two (the ones that killed Renly and Penrose). I told him she obviously slept with Stannis and then leeched his shadow. He then (very smugly, I might add. I think he was waiting for this specific answer) told me that it was never explicitly stated that he had sex with her - which is coincidentally true, other than the one instance in the show. I pointed towards the reference Mel makes in her POV chapter in ADwD  when she thinks of her bed. He responded by saying the ritual might have required him laying in a bed while she casts a spell on him ( :rolleyes:).  I finally grew exasperated and said the Renly-Loras relationship was never explicitly stated (again, books, not show) but we all know it happened. He said he finds it weird that Mel's relationship with Stannis wasnt further explained/explored in her chapter, or really touched upon in any of Davos's chapters. He also said he finds it odd that Stannis - noted for his prudish attitude and just manner - would cheat on his wife, even if said wife was as stoney as Selyse.

Is this a thing that the readers have to deduce by themselves from the - in my opinion - glaringly obvious clues in the text? Or is there something more to it? Because if Melisandre really did not sleep with Stannis, then how on earth did she make her shadow assasin's? I'll admit the only part of my friend's argument I found convincing was his analysis of Stannis's character and how unlikely it is for him to do so (sleep with Mel). Is Stan desperate enough to try anything to win the IT? I mean, he did burn some people (although I wouldn't call this unjust). Is there any SSM that mentions this?

As far as I know it was only implied, similar to the Renly - Loras relationship. The show then took it's toll with the story and adopted it as a seduction/sex scene

Yeah, it's a good question. We can't be sure, but I I'd go ahead and stake the ranch on it.

The 6th picture at the link below is an illustration depicting Gilly's observations of "Cold Gods" acquiring Craster's Sacrifices...

http://www.richardhescox.com/a-clash-of-kings-gallery.php

It is quite clear that these figures are not Others... At least not the Others that were introduced in the AGOTs Prologue...

To me, that just seems to be Richard Hescox's interpretation, rather than a different group.

They think Dawn, the ancestral greatsword, of House Dayne is Lightbringer. AA's sword. Aegon is a Blackfyre descendant in their opinion.
Also they're really confident in the RLJ theory and they want Ashara to reveal herself as Quaithe.

thank you .. i only agree with them abt r+l=j

i would like to knw who they think aar tpwp and tswmtw whether they think jon like everyone else or they believe its dany

thank you .. i only agree with them abt r+l=j

i would like to knw who they think aar tpwp and tswmtw whether they think jon like everyone else or they believe its dany

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2kgfy7/spoilers_all_ama_with_authors_of_the_world_of_ice/

Here is the link to the interview they gave when WOIAF was released. I don't know whether you'll find all your answers there, but it's a worth a try and read  :)

Considering everything that happens after the tourney, I place the tourney in the third quarter.

A large number of the chapters within KL happen within compact time frames; a day then the same night, successive days, three days etc. The one large passage that does go on is Ned's confinement in the Black Cells.

I do not underestimate Gareds speed of travel. I simply do not assume that his travel purpose was to go south and south and south some more. He was on foot, presumably, and especially in the beginning would have been blinded by fear. Crossing such lands on foot takes time, and he didn't pass CB, so whatever route he took, it was a long way around. Did he sneak past Eastwatch, or descent in the Gorge, or took another route? We don't know. Nor can you hardly have called him in a good state of mind when he was captured. Hardly a good state to travel with clear purpose.

North of the wall it's most likely he was on horseback. Remember that Will feared that Gared had fled with the horses after the fight between Waymar and the Other, so it's most likely his first reaction to the fight was to mount up. I don't doubt that he was out of his gourd so he would have not have been a thought full or careful rider and likely killed his mount. He also would have been moving as fast as possible, likely to the point of exhaustion, then a short rest, then moving again with little thought to being stealthy or with planning, I don't see him setting up camp or anything special. Just moving south as fast as possible, remember that the average person on foot covers one league per hour (not a forced march). Most groups break camp, travel for a while, break for some sort of meal, travel for a while then set up camp, and rest during the night (8 hr actual movement per day).

Ser Waymar was a knight, and insisted it was his due as a knight to get his own command quickly. I don't see him agreeing to get trained before he took his vows, what's the use ? He's a knight. And I see Jeor having a big ceremony while Yohn Bronze is still at Castle Black, to please him.

I think they may have had a big ceremony and I don't think Waymar would require weapon training, but we also don't know how long it would take to get that together supplies to throw an appropriate feast. You can also be assured that there is plenty for Waymar to learn about duty in the Watch, on the Wall and in the local area. I don't see him as a completely overbearing idiot, I see him as the proud type, that wants to prove himself in the eyes of his commander by completing his mission with the utmost clarity and certainty.

The Watch has a rather modern structure with the members divided between Rangers, Builders and Stewarts, all stand watches and all are trained to fight. Ranger are the dedicated fighting contingent, however they do more than rangings. They provide the security/protection for builders beyond the wall, mount patrols along the wall, etc. I pretty sure that Joer would likely put him in command of patrols along the Wall and to providing security for builders, then short local patrols, before sending him off on a ranging to chase down raiders, we know this from his conversations that he is familiar with the area, so it's not like he arrived the day before heading out on his ranging.

I've dealt with the RL equivalent to Waymar (ring knocker LTs), once as Will (enlisted) and once in Gared position (NCO). You hope that your superiors deal with them by giving them command in situations where the chances of the damage (casualties) are minimized until they are more seasoned. As a person under them, you give them the best advise possible, obey orders, keep yourself on your toes and try to minimize the chances of things going bad.

The Sheep are the tell that lets the reader know that Craster's Sacrifices are not being received by the Others...

The 6th picture at the link below is an illustration depicting Gilly's observations of "Cold Gods" acquiring Craster's Sacrifices...

http://www.richardhescox.com/a-clash-of-kings-gallery.php

It is quite clear that these figures are not Others... At least not the Others that were introduced in the AGOTs Prologue...

I think that there are actually three types, the Others we see in the prologue (nonhuman), the wights (raised dead) and something in between (humans altered by magic) that we have yet to see in the novels. I doubt the undead or the Others require nourishment (lambs and dogs) while a human altered by magic might.

Archived