Fave moment in AFFC?

Lord Potsmoke

Best name ever! Other than Syrio Forel, of course...

That Brienne/Biter scene is the only time in the series where I cheated. Brienne isn't even my favorite character, but the way it went down had me look to see if she had more chapters or not. I was like, "BRIENNE CAN'T DIE LIKE THAT! NO WAY!!!" Almost did the same when Tyrion "drowned".

Vic is a bad ass. I actually like him, as well.

Welcome to the forums. I've seen ppl get ugly in here, but it's far and few. I like to jump in the middle and tell them, "what do we tell trolls in the forums?? Not today..."

LOL cheers :)

Yeah that scene with Brienne was intense. Also her fight with Shagwell was wicked, when he kills Nimble Dick. Class.

Yeah I agree Vic is a G, the bloodied mail fist.

Thanks Syrio lol, tbf i have one or twice seen people resort to insults and like proper arguments on here but then they get removed or put in their place, there is no need for it really ay. Disagree sure but like leave it at that right?

I'm looking forward to rereading this book now after reading some of these replies on here. Still slugging through "...and the truth shall set you free" before Dance.

• 9 months later...

A couple of my favourites:

Arya II:

Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.

Brienne VII:

Seven, Brienne thought again, despairing. She had no chance against seven, she knew. No chance, and no choice.

She stepped out into the rain, Oathkeeper in hand.

The Princess in the Tower:

She narrowed her eyes. "What is our heart's desire?"

"Vengeance." His voice was soft, as if he were afraid that someone might be listening. "Justice." Prince Doran pressed the onyx dragon into her palm with his swollen, gouty fingers, and whispered, "Fire and blood."

Honourable mention to like... Cersei in general, Jaime and Genna's conversation, and Brienne meeting Lady Stoneheart.

e: Oh, and Brienne's conversation with the Elder Brother.

• 1 month later...

My favorite moment was when Brienne and Podrick run into septon Meribald and he gives the broken men speech. It was quite moving.

Another moment I enjoyed reading of (it seems to be a common favorite) is Cersei acting as Queen Regent. She becomes so paranoid, foolish and arrogant that she does all the wrong things. I found it especially comical when she gives Aurane Waters the title of master of ships. Once Cersei is arrested Waters just takes off with the dromonds. :D

Jamie resolving the siege at Riverrun and other matters.

First the discussion with Ryman Frey and his woman:

"Lady? I'm no lady. I'm the queen."
"My sister will be surprised to hear that."
"Lord Ryman crowned me his very self." She gave a shake of her ample hips. "I'm the queen o' whores."
No, Jaime thought, my sweet sister holds that title too.

And this conversation with Edmure:
"You've seen our numbers, Edmure. You've seen the ladders, the towers, the trebuchets, the rams. If I speak the command, my coz will bridge your moat and break your gate. Hundreds will die, most of them your own. Your former bannermen will make up the first wave of attackers, so you'll start your day by killing the fathers and brothers of men who died for you at the Twins. The second wave will be Freys, I have no lack of those. My westermen will follow when your archers are short of arrows and your knights so weary they can hardly lift their blades. When the castle falls, all those inside will be put to the sword. Your herds will be butchered, your godswood will be felled, your keeps and towers will burn. I'll pull your walls down, and divert the Tumblestone over the ruins. By the time I'm done no man will ever know that a castle once stood here." Jaime got to his feet. "Your wife may whelp before that. You'll want your child, I expect. I'll send him to you when he's born. With a trebuchet."
Silence followed his speech. Edmure sat in his bath. Pia clutched the clothing to her breasts. The singer tightened a string on his harp. Little Lew hollowed out a loaf of stale bread to make a trencher, pretending that he had not heard. With a trebuchet, Jaime thought. If his aunt had been there, would she still say Tyrion was Tywin's son?

Another of Cersei's chapters I find amusing is when she allows the Warrior's Sons to be recognized by the crown. I'm paraphrasing here but she says something along the lines of "my father would be proud if he could see me now.'

I was humiliated for her at that specific moment!

• 4 weeks later...

Feast must be my second favourite book, I love it so much. I know most people dislike Brienne's chapters as long and dull but they were most to my liking as I really like the Riverlands - they remind me of those gritty Medieval times with the tortured people, the burnt fields and the hunger, all the weight of the war fallen there. I love the tale of the Whispers by Dick Crabb and Brienne's tale of Ser Galladon of Morne (and all the allusions with The Just Maid/Oathkeeper), The Hound's possible return, Brienne breaking my heart every time when she mentions Jaime and her encounter with Lady Stoneheart. 

The Cersei POVs made me pity her and I truly felt sick. It felt like justice when she was captured and when Jaime forsake her by burning her passionate letter. I also loved Genna's words towards Jaime about how Tyrion is Tywin's son. I'm sure I'm missing something but the list of moments became too long anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, I read all the chapters with bated breath as in all the books before - splendid writing is always splendid, whether it's about action or description.

Apart from that, here's my fav chapters, as far as I remember:

Cat of the Canals: When she woke the next morning, she was blind. And I was like "WTF! Why???! Why BLIND?! Poor poor girl!" :(

Brienne VIII: She screamed a word. (Oh, those his last sentences!) I never liked Catelyn, but as LS, I began to hate her. She became merely a killing zombie, with no regard for justice. Anyway, she's a classical tragic mother figure, as the Greek tragedy couldn't depict it better! Generally, I consider ASoIaF more comparable to a gigantic tragedy than usual fan lit. The "guiltless guilt", the distinguishing mark of a tragedy, is especially apparent in the figure of the Brienne of Tarth. - Otherwise, I really didn't like the Biter-chapter. It was marvellous writing too, but it was way too cruel and vile - maybe the vilest chapter in all four books so far.

Prologue: "What's happening?" he said. His legs had turned to water. "I don't understand." "And never will," a voice said sadly. The cobblestone rushed up to kiss him. Pate tried to cry for help, but his voice was failing too. His last thought was of Rosey. Another mystery! I'm pretty sure, the Alchemist is a Faceless Man - but what does he want in the Citadel? 

Spoiler

I think, he killed Pate in order to get his face... ?

Yes, Meribald's speech was great, and yes, I celebrated Cersei's downfall as well (Littlefinger: "Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next... I always anticipated that she would beggar the realm and destroy herself, but I never expected she would do it quite so fast." lol)

But perhaps most of all I loved the Dornish chapters. After all this greyblueness of Westeros, the cold and the starving, the psychos and the ugliness and brutality of war it was pure delight to find myself in a setting full of beauty and luxury. Though I don't suffer heat and wouldn't wish to live there, there was a relieving airiness in it. I loved the Sand Snakes and Arianne and her friends - their easygoing gaiety and their hot blood (Ser Gerold rose. "I believe I'll have a piss." "Watch where you set your feet," Drey cautioned. "It has been awhile since Prince Oberyn milked the local vipers." :D)

The Princess in The Tower: A fascinating piece of strategic thinking and literature. So Arianne was promised to Viserys! So Doran plans for a long time already to help the Targaryens back! And nearly nobody knew about it, at least his own daughter! Suddenly I understood his meek behavior: If so, a war with the Iron Throne is the last thing he could afford!

• 1 month later...
On 28/09/2016 at 7:33 PM, Moving Watch said:

The Princess in The Tower: A fascinating piece of strategic thinking and literature.

This. Most likely couldn't have put it better myself. It brought waves of understanding, respect, wonder and excitement in particular reading the last bits of this chapter. Hands down most awe inspiring moment of the book for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"When I'm king in my own right, I'm going to outlaw beets." Tommen. I love this quote. I love the way GRRM put a bit of humour out of Cersei chapters, which are both sad and dreadful. Cersei's descent into hell is perfectly written, step by step, drowning in paranoïa. 

Also love the line :" Am I the only one in Westeros with a pinch of wits?" Cersei, sweety, how say...

AFFC is really underrated. Less action, true, after the revelations and surprises of ASOS, but such characters developments. 

Archived