Fave moment in AFFC?

Lord Potsmoke

Jamie's meeting with the Blackfish.

Although I did generally like Cersei's chapters both because it was the only real 'arc' in the book and because it showed her to be just as crazy and awful as I always thought.

Also liked Brienne's last two chapters.

Otherwise, meh on the book.

Qyburn’s words were terse and to the point, Cersei’s fevered and fervent. Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.” 

• 2 weeks later...

Septon Meribald disagreed. "More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, ofttimes with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

"Then they get a taste of battle.

"For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

"They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

"If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world . . .

"And the man breaks.

"He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well."

On 28.7.2017 at 4:20 PM, The Bear Who Knocks said:

Qyburn’s words were terse and to the point, Cersei’s fevered and fervent. Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once.

Vyman was hovering by the door, waiting, and Jaime sensed that Peck was watching too. “Does my lord wish to answer?” the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. “No,” he said. “Put this in the fire.” 

This plus

"Vengeance...Justice..Fire and Blod"

"Septon Meribald's speech"

and Jaime's meeting with the Blackfish.

I know many people hype the King's moot scene while I don't think it's a bad scene, I don't love it. The  entire Ironborn storyline is one of my least favourite storylines in the books though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally being able to see from Cercei's POV. Learning about the prophecy helps us to understand her motive to bring down Margery. 

I personally really enjoy the Ironborn chapters. The Greyjoys are ruthless and I'm interested to see what happens with them...

Getting a better vision of Dorne and the Martells was great. Doran has been plotting against the Lanisters this whole time?! I LOVED the Viper/Mountain battle in ASOS and it's awesome to see they are out for vengeance!

EVERYTHING ABOUT ARYA IN BRAVOS!!

Idk why alot of people were dissapointed with AFFC. Maybe they should read it slower I think they missed the great dialogue/character development...

• 9 months later...

Only about 2/3 through the book, so I haven't seen everything yet but so far I'd say I really like:

The scene before the kingsmoot where Asha roasted Euron's crew

Jaime slapping that one guy who was talking shit about Brienne

Sam and Arya unknowingly meeting up

Sam beating up Daeron

The Broken Man Speech

Tommen being a cutie pie in general

Brienne fighting Shagwell and the others, especially the part where she cuts off that one guy's hand, for Jaime

Jaime and Cersei's relationship slowly falling apart. I particularly enjoyed the repetition of "Lancel, Osmund Kettleblack, probably Moon Boy for all I know..." and how it showed Jaime's increasing disenchantment with his sister. 

Jon telling Sam to pull his hood up, as there were snowflakes in his hair, calling back to the last time he saw Robb.

• 6 months later...

So many! This book turned out to be really great and compelling. Definitely didn't miss Bran and Jon (so freaking boring)

-CERSEI in general. For me it was actually a re-read of her chapters, but oh my how great they are. She's just one evil and tricky bitch. Even Margaery with all her courtesy (or hypocrisy?) eventually becomes fed up with her antics and starts showing her true feelings towards her.

-DORNE in general. How exquisite! Although I'm not really fond of Arianne, she seems like too much of a brat to me (her cousins, on the other hand, are the real thing). More chapters could have been added, too. The queenmaker crusade-to-be was epic.

-The Ironborn, I thought I might hate them but they turned out to be really interesting in fact. I can't stand Aeron though, what a twat. The invasion of the Shield Islands (and The Reach campaign in general) and its repercussion in Cersei's arc as well in Westeros felt like masterful writing. It was a bold move that affected everyone.

Honorable mentions:

Sansa's final chapter with the reveal of Lf's true plan. Although, more could have been added to her story to be honest.

Oldtown, seemed like a very cool setting, I was picturing it like one of those fantasy genre's cities with all the magic and mysteries going on around.

Samwell becoming more comfortable in his own skin, he goes from crying all the time about the possibility of meeting again his father to talking down with confidence his childhood's bully.

Didn't really care about Arya. Honestly it feels like she hasn't done -anything- since Harrenhal and weasel soup.

Brienne had some cool moments I guess? How much does this woman need to suffer for being ugly, though?

In summary: Cersei, Dorne and The Reach campaign. Yes, those were my fave moments. 

Brienne vs Biter; Brienne's whole last chapter; Alayne I; Arya II, which for me is the best Arya chapter of all the five books; Jaime's Brynden and Edmure negotiation in the siege of Riverrun; Victarion vs Talbert Serry; Euron's pray and Kingsmoot speech; "Fire and Blood"; Cersei VI, Cersei's thoughts about Loras and Margaery made me laugh like a maniac

I really enjoyed AFFC though, even more than ADWD; which I believe to be the worst book in the series.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Have only read half so far, but:

Tywin's funeral (Cersei I) is a magnificent chapter and one of the few which was as good in the show as it was in the books and vice versa. Even better and more grand in the show, actually, which made me happy to read it afterwards in the book (I read it as a sample chapter in my pocket book of Storm first and it was great fun)

Alayne Stone - all of the chapters so far are excellently ethereal, and there is a truly beautiful, fair, magic sensation about the Eyrie where I can really feel like I'm there, high up in the Mountains of the Moon with the snow and clouds and clear air (plus obviously the things that happen with Littlefinger and Sansa are super interesting)

(Possibly Kingsmoot to a degree, but it wasn't as grand as I had imagined. But of course Euron is still pretty cool and everything)

(Arya's arrival in Braavos is relatively cool as well)

Archived