Biggest criticism of the series ?

Lord Neddard Stark

Dany interacts with plenty of interesting characters imo. Jorah, Barristan, Xaro, Quaithe, Shavepate, Green Grace, Reznak, Missandei, etc.

Of those, only Jorah and the Shavepate have any sort of interest to me. The others are either fairly nondescript or just formulaic (Missandrei especially, the 10 years old wonder child *yawn*). And Jorah vanishes from her story after ASOS while the Shavepate is mostly background noise until Barristan's chapters.

One thing is certain to me, the cast of characters and world building in Essos is nowhere near strong enough to stand on its own. It just doesn,t compare to Westeros.

Of those, only Jorah and the Shavepate have any sort of interest to me. The others are either fairly nondescript or just formulaic (Missandrei especially, the 10 years old wonder child *yawn*). And Jorah vanishes from her story after ASOS while the Shavepate is mostly background noise until Barristan's chapters.

One thing is certain to me, the cast of characters and world building in Essos is nowhere near strong enough to stand on its own. It just doesn,t compare to Westeros.

Essos is undeveloped because we see it through 1 POV for the longest time. Once Tyrion and Barristan are there we at least get different perspectives.

Essos is undeveloped because we see it through 1 POV for the longest time. Once Tyrion and Barristan are there we at least get different perspectives.

I think hat's a function of the story growing bigger then it was intended.  I actually don't even believe Essos is referred to AS "Essos" in the entire novel series.  The name of the land wasn't even coined until 2008 when someone finally asked GRRM what the continent's name was.  It wasn't even completely mapped out until GRRM was forced to do so when the Map Book came out a few years ago.

There really was no point in having another POV in "Essos" because it was not designed to, in the grand scheme of things, play a major role in the series.  It was just a place for Dany and her Dragons to hang out.  Obviously the story has grown, and now we have many more areas fleshed out and in need of exploration, so Dany as the sole POV in Essos now seems rather bleak.

I think hat's a function of the story growing bigger then it was intended.  I actually don't even believe Essos is referred to AS "Essos" in the entire novel series.  The name of the land wasn't even coined until 2008 when someone finally asked GRRM what the continent's name was.  It wasn't even completely mapped out until GRRM was forced to do so when the Map Book came out a few years ago.

There really was no point in having another POV in "Essos" because it was not designed to, in the grand scheme of things, play a major role in the series.  It was just a place for Dany and her Dragons to hang out.  Obviously the story has grown, and now we have many more areas fleshed out and in need of exploration, so Dany as the sole POV in Essos now seems rather bleak.

We learn too much about Essos for it to not matter. If it is just a place for Dany to hang out before her mega invasion then I will be disappointed.

We learn too much about Essos for it to not matter. If it is just a place for Dany to hang out before her mega invasion then I will be disappointed.

Sorry, I meant that's what it started out as being in the first novel.  It's obviously grown quite a bit since the first novel, to the point where GRRM could honestly write a whole new book series on just Essos if he wanted.

1. the way cersei was written in AFFC

2. the way that sansa was written in AGOT

3. All these new stranger bitches showing up in AFFC and ADWD with boring ass POV's

4. AFFC and ADWD need more editing in general

5. the fact that Sandor and Tyrion's pedophilic attraction to Sansa is written in a sympathetic manner

6. the amount of times that abuse is mentioned or thrown at women just for people to go "wow it really sucked for women" and then move on

5. They weren't peadophiles, she had started puberty. Men don't just magically start being attracted to girls at sixteen.

That's certainly fair. I'm ready for her to be in Westeros myself!

I've almost lost interest in her story myself. Barristan breathed some life into it and I thought Tyrion would make essos more interesting, but his endless journey to no where is getting old.

So much uselss travelogues. They are frankly uneeded. the story has completely gotten out of control. I like jon con's chapters but is aegon really even needed? Seems like he could of been danny at this point in the story

One of the worst decisions in the series. How is 300 people (a third of the Watch) searching through hundreds of miles of wilderness where they could easily be attacked by the gathering Wildling army or near invincible ice demons a good idea when they have a perfectly good 800 foot ice wall to hide behind?

The wildlings are undisciplined and unorganised and Mormont knew he they could take on 10 times that number. As for the Others, no one believed in them.

I think the Cercei and Jaime chapters from a Dance with Dragons would've have been a better way to finish A Feast for Crows. Cercei II and the Jaime chapter were better cliffhanger material than the final ones in the actual book in my opinion. 3 chapters wouldn't have delayed the book much longer, and it would have made book 5 seem a little less sloppy. Not a huge criticism, but still

The wildlings are undisciplined and unorganised and Mormont knew he they could take on 10 times that number. As for the Others, no one believed in them.

Mance had an army of 100,000 gathering at that point. Now, most of them weren't warriors, but they were close to wiping out the Watch even when there was an 800 foot ice wall they were fighting up against. Out in the open the Watch is toast.

Also, Mormont was almost murdered by a wight. I think there is good reason to suspect something magically sinister beyond the wall.

Mance had an army of 100,000 gathering at that point. Now, most of them weren't warriors, but they were close to wiping out the Watch even when there was an 800 foot ice wall they were fighting up against. Out in the open the Watch is toast.

Also, Mormont was almost murdered by a wight. I think there is good reason to suspect something magically sinister beyond the wall.

Well the less than a 100 cripples, green boys and old men defending the wall isn't the same as 500 of the watches best mounted on horseback. But I agree they wouldn't have lived.

also show was 100k, the book was just 10k. The show is some stupid with their numbers sometimes. 100k wilding army in a desolate north. Please.

Well the less than a 100 cripples, green boys and old men defending the wall isn't the same as 500 of the watches best mounted on horseback. But I agree they wouldn't have lived.

also show was 100k, the book was just 10k. The show is some stupid with their numbers sometimes. 100k wilding army in a desolate north. Please.

SoS, Jon II

Three hundred men could not hope to kill a hundred times their number, of course, but Jon did not think they would need to. 

Assuming the math can be taken literally, 300 x 100=30,000 or so. Not quite 100,000, but more than 10,000

There is also this, from SoS, Jon VIII

He could feel the despair all around him. "There must be a hundred thousand," Satin wailed. "How can we stop so many?"

Again, might not be literal, but I don't think one could confuse 100k with 10k. And then we have Stannis 

I smashed Mance Rayder at the Wall, though he had twenty times my numbers.

Stannis arrived with 1,500 men. 1,500 x 20= 30,000

Those were likely fighters, which not all the Wildlings were. But I have no doubt that Mance amassed 100,000 wildlings all together.

The sex writing, particularly from the female POVs, is awful and uncomfortable and wooden. 13 year old Dany, afraid and vulnerable and a virgin, gets taken by the full grown seven foot stud who we are made to understand has an uncommonly large cock, in lovingly described detail. Ut wouldve been so easy to gloss over that but dude wanted to make those scenes happen. Tyrion and shae always has me rolling my eyes and hopinh for a quick ending as well (which george always delivers on as tyrion spends himself on the fifth stroke which is def important to the overall narrative), it just reads like what i imagine 50 shades of grey reads like. Im sure that kind of subject matter does it for some people but i just picture the man writing out the scenes, squinting at the page as he tries out different synonyms for 'ejaculate'.

Archived