Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Last heard, Isk was looking for a good watch. The Longines Silver Arrow looks very dashing but was discontinued. Boo. Tissot and Movado had a couple of very plain models, too. Don't buy a Patek Philippe, Isk, it's a very bad idea.

I'm looking for a white button-down long-sleeved shirt with no breast pockets. This is difficult. The Gap has one I plan to check out in person. However, generally the choice of fabric seems to be cotton that requires ironing or wrinkle-free poly-cotton blends with terrible feel. Ironing isn't one of my interests, not at all, although I might have to get over it.

Has anyone tried Ahnu Noe sneakers like these ones? I want a pair of sneakers comfortable enough to walk all day in which are also not ugly. 

Isk's watch search had me lusting after watches. So, so, dangerous.

I am lusting after these boots but as we all know, I have so many boots it's ridiculous. So I'm not going to buy them. NO NO NO. http://www.sundancecatalog.com/product/67957.do?code=TELPTRET

I also love these. It's the square toe of these boots that I'm digging so much.

http://www.zappos.com/dan-post-teardrop-honey-tear-drop?zlfid=191&ref=pd_sims_sdp_1

Ang: How fitted do you want? I am a fan of the [url=http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=51166&vid=1&pid=715604032] Banana Republic[/url] button down. They do have a bit of a sheen to them, so you may not be interested if you don't want that.

Ang: How fitted do you want? I am a fan of the Banana Republic button down. They do have a bit of a sheen to them, so you may not be interested if you don't want that.

That's the one I like as well. I pass their outlet occasionally and pick up a few, although I think their outlet version has a pocket, and sometimes I've gotten the 3/4 sleeve ones. But they are well-made and fit me well. Also, if you're of the thrifty nature like I am, they hold dye well, so after they get a stain or whatever they will turn into a navy or black shirt.

Angalin, Eddie Bower has some.
http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women--39-s-wrinkle-free-long-sleeve-shirt---solid/20801828/_/A-ebSku_0088706349000080__20801828_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Shirts&previousPage=LNAV&tab=women&color=500

As to classic watches, I have a Cartier tank watch that is 40 years old. They look wonderful. You can find them on Ebay. I feel like Jackie O every time I wear it.

For white shirts, you really can't beat Talbots (naturally :P )

Unfortunately, they sell out rapidly, even at full price!

Right now all they have left is Miss sizes 4 and 16. If you're lucky enough to fit one of those, order it. You won't be sorry. Just read the reviews. (The one who said she had to wear a cami with them is nuts. It's a great fabric and covers perfectly well.)

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi31086&defaultColor=1008&N=0&Ntt=wrinklefree&selectedConcept=

Both of those look good, thanks! There's a Banana Republic in town, but the Talbots has gone, so I'll go have a gander. I hate buying things like this without trying them on first, especially as I'm no good at organizing returns.

Both of those look good, thanks! There's a Banana Republic in town, but the Talbots has gone, so I'll go have a gander. I hate buying things like this without trying them on first, especially as I'm no good at organizing returns.

I was going to mention my fave, the Coldwater Creek no-iron.  Unfortunately, Coldwater Creek is strictly online now.

I just want to point something out, because I feel it's relevant to dating. It may come as a surprise to you (and this is aimed at all on the "leggings are not trousers!!11!!1!" bandwagon), but not everyone is always looking to attract someone. We may wear leggings because they're comfortable, or we feel good in them. And if it's the latter, then surely someone showing up to a date who feels good about themselves is not only attractive in itself, but also very important?

Shaming someone for what they're wearing is horrible, but the worst comment was the one about having to have a certain body shape to wear leggings. Eff your beauty standards.

Luckily, my SO doesn't give a shit what I wear, as long as I'm happy. And we too share t-shirts sometimes.

I also think it's worth noting that wearing leggings as trousers is very fashionable in the UK (note all the UK boarders here saying similar things), and so ours are generally made a lot thicker and trouser-like. The ones I have from New Look are practically trousers that taper off at the ankle. Very comfy, good for short people like myself, and also good for my disability. There. That's my piece on leggings in general.

I own a pear of jeggings. Greatest invention ever.

I've always associated leggings more with thick tights than pants, and worn them accordingly, except around the house as pajamas. Even when I'm working out or dancing (because the kind of dance I do is highly energetic and is my workout on those days) I'll put on shorts or a skirt over them. There's something about having non-knit fabric (as in denim) that makes it ok to wear as skintight pants, while leggings cross that line into tights territory for me. But I'm also a skinny jeans lover and don't think you have to be any shape to wear them. Not sure why I draw the line for leggings.

The fall clothing has arrived at Winners and Marshalls, and I have seen wonderful white shirts. :)

Squatting makes your quads bulk up until your dress pants don't fit anymore. They were starting to look like jeggings on me. You can't do much to expand the diameter of the pants leg, so I just had to replace them all. No-one mentions these secondary costs of a new exercise routine.

Now I'm wondering if I should have put the old ones in storage rather than donate them. If I change my workouts again, I may return to my original dimensions. Too late now.

I'm pretty sure Bowie wore jeggings in Labyrinth.  

My goal in life is to be as cool as Bowie.

Today I'm wearing leggings, ha, a black t shirt and a colourful kimono - covered in leaves and feathers in blues and greens and pinks. My office is pretty relaxed with what we wear, but I'm having to put together some nicer outfits. And I think I need new boots. ES, work your magic. :P

I don't care what your body type is: If you wear jeggings, you are abhorrent before the judgement of both God and Man, and should be cast weeping and forlorn into the howling wastes.

I think not.  My jegging make my legs look skinnier than they actually are.

Now bell bottoms are a whole different story.  Bell bottoms are horrible.  And so are bell sleeves and the variant trumpet sleeves.  All of which will be in this fall.  I will be a renegade and revert to my jeggings with long fitted jackets.

Squatting makes your quads bulk up until your dress pants don't fit anymore. They were starting to look like jeggings on me. You can't do much to expand the diameter of the pants leg, so I just had to replace them all. No-one mentions these secondary costs of a new exercise routine.

Now I'm wondering if I should have put the old ones in storage rather than donate them. If I change my workouts again, I may return to my original dimensions. Too late now.

Yup. This is why I don't wear jeans or off the rack shirts. Nothing fits me.

Archived