Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

I'll only wear jeggings (or any skinny pant) with boots over them. Otherwise, they're not so flattering on me.
The boots seem to balance the shape out. For all I know this look is out now. :( But I don't care. I'll continue tucking my skinny jeans in.

I think the "carrot-shaped" pants described above were called "tapered." Back in the '90s we called these "Mom jeans." :P

The stores are showing boots and coats now. :bawl:

Dracarya, I will send you some boots links, but I personally like bedstu, Frye, and Old Gringo. All three brands are really comfy to me.

I have a pair of jeggings and I love them. I also have leggings and sometimes I do run around in them as pants. I used to give a crap but don't so much now. If this offends your sensibilities look to Jareth. If Bowie says jeggings are okay, then by damn, they're okay.

I knew you'd come through :) I don't like knee high, and black is my colour. I have enough furry boots, and I don't like boots with a lot of detail on them. I currently have some leather ankle boots, totally plain, which I'm wearing all the time, but they're starting to rip :( they were from Asda, and cost like £12, so no big surprise, but still. I think I need to go boot hunting in town, try them on and see what suits me.

I do have one shirt from M&S that just about fits. I like the cut of their shirts but not most of the patterns. The one I have is a plain dark blue shirt that they don't sell any more. I'd like to buy more but the patterns on all of their other casual shirts are just plain ugly.

Yeah - I've got a bunch of their shirts but most of them are for office wear. They don't really do casual over here. I found a couple of nice fitting ones in Zara the other day, but that's pretty rare. 

Splurged on some new shoes this past week.  Got two pair of Allen Edmonds.  One is a brown leather, but somewhat casual dress shoe.  The other I ordered online and is a blue slip on.  Feel like an adult with only really nice shoes now.  I've got to break in the brown ones though.... they gave me blisters the first day I wore them.

Splurged on some new shoes this past week.  Got two pair of Allen Edmonds.  One is a brown leather, but somewhat casual dress shoe.  The other I ordered online and is a blue slip on.  Feel like an adult with only really nice shoes now.  I've got to break in the brown ones though.... they gave me blisters the first day I wore them.

Great quality shoes.  I've never bought a pair because I prefer the Italian style (sleeker, longer profile) but their customer base is fanatically loyal.  Almost a cult.

I've heard that you need to invest several hours of walking to get the cork sole to conform to your foot, but once it has it should be much more comfortable.

Great quality shoes.  I've never bought a pair because I prefer the Italian style (sleeker, longer profile) but their customer base is fanatically loyal.  Almost a cult.

I've heard that you need to invest several hours of walking to get the cork sole to conform to your foot, but once it has it should be much more comfortable.

These are my 3rd and 4th pair, the other two are very formal brown and black shoes, so yeah... I love the style of these.  My foot doesn't deal well w/ sleeker, longer profile shoes very well.  Makes me feel like I'm wearing skis.  The blue pair should be delivered later this week.  I've been wearing the brown ones around the house as much as I can.  The rest of the week I plan on taking some short walks w/ them just to break them in.  Thanks for the advice!

Is this the new shoe thread now? OK!  Ended up buying a pair of these for a shoot: http://www.fashiondelirium.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Jeffrey-Campbell-Lita-spike-2.jpg

Bought a half-size up and it fits the model like a dream. The spikes pop off if you breathe on them wrong, but other than that I was quite pleased with the purchase.

Is this the new shoe thread now? OK!  Ended up buying a pair of these for a shoot: http://www.fashiondelirium.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Jeffrey-Campbell-Lita-spike-2.jpg

Bought a half-size up and it fits the model like a dream. The spikes pop off if you breathe on them wrong, but other than that I was quite pleased with the purchase.

But we want to see you wearing the spikes of awesomeness!

I assume your feet are allergic to being wrapped in awesome?

Pretty much. Sad but true. I'd love to wear beautiful shoes, but I've already put my orthopedist's kids thru college, and maybe even med school. ;)

Whoa. Those are real shit-kickers. Wouldn't even need a cat o' nine tails with those babies.

:thumbsup:

Pretty much. Sad but true. I'd love to wear beautiful shoes, but I've already put my orthopedist's kids thru college, and maybe even med school. ;)

That makes two of us!  As much as I would love to get away with shoes like that, they'd have to be the orthopedic version!

I Liked a Buzzfeed story on Facebook titles "Dear men, please stop wearing cargo shorts," only to find that the commenters (on Facebook, not the story) were exclusively in support of cargo shorts. I am sad now.

I am actually in the market for new shoes as well but am having trouble finding some. I also like Allen Edmonds and have a couple pairs, but I want a pair of less expensive brown loafers that I can wear as everyday beataround shoes. I've had a $100 pair of brown Clarks loafers with a bit on them for years, and they're great, but they're finally starting to fall apart. Any suggestions? Allen Edmonds has some nice stuff, but I want this to be the pair I don't have to pay attention to caring for. Everything Clarks is offering right now is ugly and boring. I found a decent looking pair of Aldos, but the sides are cut too high and run up against the ball of my ankle. Maybe I will have to suck it up and buy a pair of J&M derbies, but I really like having the one pair of slip-on loafers.

Aside: Isk, what vendors make the Italian style of shoes you're talking about?

It's just a style faux pas, they don't look good. It's not against the law or anything. I am already aware that this is likely to devolve into an "I'll wear what I want" back-and-forth, but it is the general consensus that they aren't a good look. There's nothing authoritative I can point to, but it's like short-sleeved dress shorts, or white socks with dress shoes -- just a stylistic norm. If I had to hazard a guess at the reason I would guess that it's because all the pockets break the lines of the garment.

Ini, I just picked up some clearance Allen Edmonds loafers for $125 for exactly what you describe.  The ones I got are blue since I already have a pair of casual(ish) brown shoes, but I think I saw some brown ones there. 

ETA: Cargo shorts should be worn w/ specific purpose.  It's fine for anything that's super casual or where you need the extra pocket room (thinking concerts or working on the yard).  For anything where fashion actually matters, leave them at home.

Archived