Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

ETA: Cargo shorts should be worn w/ specific purpose.  It's fine for anything that's super casual or where you need the extra pocket room (thinking concerts or working on the yard).  For anything where fashion actually matters, leave them at home.

Yeah the social circle I was referring to was hardcore shows. Cargo shorts are convenient. Roomy enough to throw some shapes and all the pockets are handy. 

Aceluby, got a link?

lessthanluke: they're appropriate at hardcore shows. Shit, it's practically the uniform.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Clearance_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_127607_127607_130263_subcategory__

The Concordia, Desoto, Ventura, El Dorado, and Maritime all look like they'd fit what you're looking for.  Make sure to check out the reviews, they were really helpful in making my decision.

Thanks. Man, I dunno. I like the Concord Ave, but I want it in leather, which is not on sale. Not so sure about the others. The Maritime are actually boat shoes, too informal for work. Not so sure about the others.

Aside: Isk, what vendors make the Italian style of shoes you're talking about?

I wear Bruno Magli's Rammola. If you do a search on those you should see lots of similar offerings too, and they're not all as pricey. There are so many small boutiquish shoemakers out there, especially with a bigger focus on style than sales volume.

I used to like Clark's for every-day beaters but they eventually felt too bulky. I switched to Kenneth Cole and eventually felt the same way about them too. Now I just wear some nice Nikes for walking to and from the office and change into dress shoes there. I keep a pair of black and brown at my office and also at home.

I love my cargo shorts and you can pry them from my cold dead thighs.

I've tried wearing other types of shorts but I hate the way they look. It might be because round where I live most other types of shorts are usually combined with other things to form styles that I completely hate, like chino shorts with floral-print (or pastel) polo shirts with all the buttons done up.

To be fair though, I pretty much only wear shorts for physical activities. For normal out-and-about stuff the temperature would have to get truly ridiculous to get me out of my jeans.

Style stuff doesn't typically apply to exercise gear. If you're working out or playing sports or whatever everyone will be happy as long as your naughty bits are covered. Although personally I would want lighter exercise shorts for stuff like that.

Just ordered a pair of Bruno Maglis, will report back. A little more than I hoped, but $160 isn't that bad.

That's a great price. But do some research: some of their models are made at a lower cost facility with lower quality in order to target a lower price point. Or you may have got one of their mainline products at a huge discount.

Just manage your expectations accordingly. I hope you enjoy them.

I bought a really cute, but simple, fit-and-flare sleeveless black dress at a crazy-low price. I want to wear it to work. What should I wear it with? (Bear in mind I've got to dress conservatively - no jeans jackets.)

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi34982&defaultColor=7532&N=10189&No=48&selectedConcept=&_=1440023863946&Nrpp=24&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId%3ATalbotsSite)%2COR(product.catalogId%3Acatalog20002))

I'd wear it with a well-fitting cardigan that goes no longer than your waist. Of course, I wear such cardigans almost every single day.

I've got an open-knit pale grey 3/4 length sleeve waist-length sweater I could wear with it. That pairing would be a bit somber, but I could wear a long silver tassel necklace to jazz it up.

That's a great price. But do some research: some of their models are made at a lower cost facility with lower quality in order to target a lower price point. Or you may have got one of their mainline products at a huge discount.

Just manage your expectations accordingly. I hope you enjoy them.

I'm guessing it's the former. I'm probably okay with that, I'm not expecting five-star quality at three-star prices. I'm not sure how to tell. This is what I bought, in dark brown. https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00G6995DM/

I bought a really cute, but simple, fit-and-flare sleeveless black dress at a crazy-low price. I want to wear it to work. What should I wear it with? (Bear in mind I've got to dress conservatively - no jeans jackets.)http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi34982&defaultColor=7532&N=10189&No=48&selectedConcept=&_=1440023863946&Nrpp=24&Nr=AND(OR(product.siteId%3ATalbotsSite)%2COR(product.catalogId%3Acatalog20002))

I'm thinking this: http://m.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/notchcollar-coverup/570147668?color=&catId=cat210006&fromSearch=true
It also comes in a tan color. I have found good jackets at White House Black Market in the past.

I've got an open-knit pale grey 3/4 length sleeve waist-length sweater I could wear with it. That pairing would be a bit somber, but I could wear a long silver tassel necklace to jazz it up.

That works. I've got a closet full of black dresses and cardigans in all colors to brighten them up.

I'm guessing it's the former. I'm probably okay with that, I'm not expecting five-star quality at three-star prices. I'm not sure how to tell. This is what I bought, in dark brown. https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B00G6995DM/

I'm not familiar with that model. I always go for lace ups. But the style looks really good and the leather looks soft, supple and comfortable. I hope they work out well.

Archived