Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

2 hours ago, Datepalm said:

What's the dress code for - once again - an academic conference dinner? I think i've managed to figure out how to dress for the presentations and stuff (talkings-to from both my thesis supervisors have happened) in a way I'm comfortable with, but theres a dinner and its throwing me off. Does that go more formal? (This is in Spain, btw.) I found a dress - longish, kind of 50's-ish, bare shoulders (with straps) - that might work but i'm wondering if that's too dressed up now? Or if it's just that I wear dresses rarely enough that anytime I dig one out - no matter how casual - it feels like fancy dressup?

A 50's retro look is great for a conference dinner.

You can dress it up or down depending on the accessories and hairstyle you choose.

Have a great time!

@Datepalm I don't know if Spain or academia are very different from US business etiquette but generally dinner would involve the same dress as worn for the conference during the day.  I don't see people changing for dinner after the day of presentations; people usually stick around for a cocktail hour and networking until dinner starts. 

But, FWIW, the dress you describe sounds fine.  Bared shoulders may possibly be less conservative than the other attendees -- again, I don't know the tone in Spain and/or academia -- but wear it with confidence and you'll be fine. 

Aha! Got the schedule - dinner is at a different place and with a distinct gap in the schedule between it and the last thing before it. And it's a celebratory dinner of some roundish number of years birthday to the organization. Dress it is, I guess?

And, um...I only have one hairstyle? And I don't own accessories. Baby steps, baby steps...I've never been able to handle having anything on that's not really clothes. I have trouble with scarves and hats - rings and necklaces and the like make me fidget just thinking about it. Next conference, maybe.

• 1 month later...

Universal Standard is a newish company  (2 years old?) specializing in functional wardrobe pieces for plus-size women. I've been on their email list for a while and always miss when their Seine Jean is back in stock. Curses. There's a few other pieces I've been eyeing but they have been out of my budget for the most part. 

Last week I received an email offering to send out a free t-shirt while supplies last. A free $50 t-shirt. I received it Friday and it's one of the softest and most flattering crew neck shirts I've ever worn. I need to consider budgeting for their pieces. They also have an exchange program for some of the pirces that's impressive.

https://www.universalstandard.net/pages/ufl-universal-fit-liberty

Just before our vacation, I bought some shorts at Bonobos for the hot weather in Rome.  Very happy with them.  I got solid colors in khaki, navy and royal blue -- relatively tame but I don't wear loud patterns.  The t-shirts from Quiksilver and casual shirts from Untuckit all worked out well.  And I got some new casual sneakers from Adidas to replace my aged Nikes.

While I was in Ireland, my brother brought me and his other groomsmen to get fitted for matching suits for his wedding next year.  I had originally planned to offer him a custom suit from my tailor as a wedding present, but with two other groomsmen and he wants us all in matching suits, that won't work out.  I'm now a 42R jacket and 32 waist in off-the-rack suits.

I left my sunglasses in a taxi in Rome so I picked up a couple of new pairs today.  Both are Ray-Bans: one pair is aviator style to replace the lost pair, the other is less curved/droopy in the lens.  Let's see how long before I lose these. 

• 4 months later...

I just want to note that I'm presenting at a conference today, and have arrived at this point without freaking out about what I'm wearing or giving it more than a few minutes thought, requiring the input of six people or attempting to become an entirely different person for 15 minutes. On the other hand, I think I have a mustard stain on my skirt. Hm.

Thanks! Went ok, I think! Questions were asked! Now coming to terms with 60% or so of the rest of the conference being in French, regardless of the number of times it was stated that it absolutely would not be in French...

• 1 month later...

Blondes I need your help.  I'm about to update my color.  I've seriously enjoyed my silvery platinum run, but I'm getting a fair good bit of breakage.  Time for an update.  I love this color, but worried about maintaining both silver and red at the same time.  Should I start with a honey?  Gonna pull the darker color through SOME of the platinum, but keep most of it for a blended grow out.  Fun fun fun.  Please give me some ideas, help.  My hair's a short angled bob right now.

Archived