Fashion thread: updating classics

Angalin

Shoes are here. They do appear to be actual Bruno Maglis. Pretty pleased with them for the price. They are Italian-made, and are definitely welted. Thanks Isk!

EDIT: I have a pair of Allen Edmonds McClain for my lace-up needs: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF3807_1_40000000001_-1?style=3807I just prefer loafers for everyday wear.

I'm thinking this: http://m.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/notchcollar-coverup/570147668?color=&catId=cat210006&fromSearch=true
It also comes in a tan color. I have found good jackets at White House Black Market in the past.

For some reason, that link isn't working for me. I'm using my laptop - maybe you used a smartphone app to view it and it doesn't display correctly on computers (?) Not sure. But I'll just go to their website and search for jackets. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

That works. I've got a closet full of black dresses and cardigans in all colors to brighten them up.

This is my first foray, so I'm floundering a bit. It does seem to look best with short jackets/sweaters, though. Anything too long and it hides the shape too much.

I've worn pants and blazers to work for so long that I'm slightly bewildered in the world of skirts and dresses. But I'm tired of my old look and want to shake things up. Although, I did wear a gorgeous outfit yesterday if I do say so myself! Light tan dress pants with matching kitten heels, a creamy silk tank, a beautiful shawl-collared pink blazer, and a beige-ish/pink-ish multi-strand necklace to tie everything all together. Too bad I was the best-dressed person in the room. :(

For some reason, that link isn't working for me. I'm using my laptop - maybe you used a smartphone app to view it and it doesn't display correctly on computers (?) Not sure. But I'll just go to their website and search for jackets. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

This is my first foray, so I'm floundering a bit. It does seem to look best with short jackets/sweaters, though. Anything too long and it hides the shape too much.

I've worn pants and blazers to work for so long that I'm slightly bewildered in the world of skirts and dresses. But I'm tired of my old look and want to shake things up. Although, I did wear a gorgeous outfit yesterday if I do say so myself! Light tan dress pants with matching kitten heels, a creamy silk tank, a beautiful shawl-collared pink blazer, and a beige-ish/pink-ish multi-strand necklace to tie everything all together. Too bad I was the best-dressed person in the room. :(

Oh poo! It's called the Notch-Collar Coverup.

Well the FRYE boots arrived! While unpacking I wasn't sure if I'd made an expensive mistake (shipping to return them wouldn't be cheap) or a more expensive mistake that is still excellent life choices. Turns out it was the latter, they fit pretty much perfectly - the right is a smidge tight but they are good leather and will stretch over that spot.

Did I mention they are good leather? They smell so good too. This particular pair is an excellent choice with the calf concern as they do adjust somewhat with the straps. If they turn out comfy and a regular wear I'll be buying the black pair too when I've got money... Which is a long time.

In the interim I need to do the waterproof spray and make sure I look after these ones, they are an investment.

PS They are perfect for the costume that was the excuse for getting them.

I'm wearing [url=http://www.luckybrand.com/sweet-straight/7W12950.html?dwvar_7W12950_color=001&cgid=w-jeans-shop-by-fit-sweet-jean&start=5] new jeans[/url] today. I loves them.  And while I am not particularly curvy nor a fan of "relaxed fit" jeans, these are tight enough on my nearly 45 year old arse.

I'm wearing new jeans today. I loves them.  And while I am not particularly curvy nor a fan of "relaxed fit" jeans, these are tight enough on my nearly 45 year old arse.

Do they have pockets? I have tried on a couple of pairs of Lucky Brand jeans that I have found on sale, but I loathe jeans that have no pockets or only have the loathsome women's pockets.

I got a few things in anticipation of cool weather - mostly because I'm so damn sick of sweating through 90 degree, 85% humidity.

A faux shearling vest: http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi35953&defaultColor=1009&N=0&Ntt=fauxshearling&selectedConcept=

A pair of red suede shoes I got for a song on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371414794518?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A couple of mock turtlenecks: http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi36011&defaultColor=7569&N=0&Ntt=mockturtleneck&selectedConcept=

Speaking of the faux shearling vest, White House Black Market has one to DIE FOR. Only I can't justify spending $180 for something I'd only wear occasionally. But it is a beauty! http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/faux-shearling-vest/570151989?color=190&catId=&fromSearch=true&scPos=1-322-331

Show us your purchases! I can't fit anything more in my closet, but I can certainly happily admire YOUR purchases. :)

• 2 months later...

I really really love my hairdresser.  She's the best at curly hair that I've found in the city for my texture of hair for haircuts.   The color has been a constant battle.  Right now I've got a hot pink mess on my head and I'm uncertain how to address this.  Help.  We were going for eggplant  with a purple stripe.  What I've got is that color you get when you get bored of Miss Clairol and buy a box of Feria by L'Oreal.  

Have you had a conversation with her about it? It's hard to recommend anything until one knows what went wrong. Unskilled bayalage? New kind of color with which the stylist had no experience? Maybe your hair isn't built to take that kind of color? Sketchy water chemistry that messes with the color once you get home?

If it comes down to her skills, and you're adamant about coloring your hair, then I'd find a colorist specifically for that goal. Yes, that's two salon visits in a given period of time, but it's that or unintentionally look like a human Jolly Rancher.

If it's the color she's using, see if she'll look into products like Redken Chromatics. Those are single-process colors. Great selection. Sturdy. And because it's single-process, it should be pretty gentle on your hair to give it time to recover before the next attempt at creative color.

X-ray,  The color I want isn't particularly easy to get with the line she's carrying.  She tried a different product on the roots this time and I think that's where this turned south.  I may just have to go back to a dark brown or a light copper.  There's no way in hell I'd do 2 appointments in 6 weeks.  This was single process.  I'm going to give it a good wash and see how it looks.  

This topic really calls for pictures.   I kinda want to see it. 

I used to pay beau coup bucks on my hair.  Now I just use whatever the heck's on sale at the drugstore.  I want to see if Lily's hair looks like mine.   People have always commented on how beautiful my hair is.  Now I'm thinking they're sniggering at me behind their hands.

:leaving:

ETA:  That's actually me in my avatar picture. 

• 2 weeks later...

This topic really calls for pictures.   I kinda want to see it. 

I used to pay beau coup bucks on my hair.  Now I just use whatever the heck's on sale at the drugstore.  I want to see if Lily's hair looks like mine.   People have always commented on how beautiful my hair is.  Now I'm thinking they're sniggering at me behind their hands.

:leaving:

ETA:  That's actually me in my avatar picture. 

Ok, this took way longer than it was supposed to.  I still can't get a good shot of the pink roots.  I'm a LOT happier with it now that the purple is in. Here ya go.  Under florescent lights (work)  the purple just looks black and the roots are PINK.

I got a terrible hair cut a few weeks ago but luckily lots of product masked the worst of it until it grew out and I got a fresh cut after three weeks.

I bought some new casual shirts at Express. The fabric quality is terrible but their fitted line really is the best fitting shirt available. Simon Spurr shirts at Saks cost three times as much and they all tore in the upper arm just from regular movement.

• 2 weeks later...

A new era in shoes for me: my first pair of Allen Edmonds.  I got the Carlyle oxfords in dark chili Picture

I have previously steered clear of AE because I thought their styles were too old-mannish, but these have a reasonably sleek profile (not as sleek as Magli) and they offer more color variety than I've used in the past.  Also, with an AE store close to my home, I was able to get the best possible fit.  Nordstrom has a nice range of shoes but not of sizes.  And I got a matching belt too.

I'm very pleased with them and I am thinking of another pair for casual wear with jeans.  I need some input here: is this color too light for navy jeans? Picture

A new era in shoes for me: my first pair of Allen Edmonds.  I got the Carlyle oxfords in dark chili Picture

I have previously steered clear of AE because I thought their styles were too old-mannish, but these have a reasonably sleek profile (not as sleek as Magli) and they offer more color variety than I've used in the past.  Also, with an AE store close to my home, I was able to get the best possible fit.  Nordstrom has a nice range of shoes but not of sizes.  And I got a matching belt too.

I'm very pleased with them and I am thinking of another pair for casual wear with jeans.  I need some input here: is this color too light for navy jeans? Picture

I like those! The first pair are great. The second is too light with navy jeans for my taste. The darker one would look better, if you're set on that style.

Lily, love the purple hair! (Pink roots pic link didn't work for me.)

Question re formal dinners: do I have to wear a different dress every time? Same location, some of the same people, maybe a month or so apart.

I like those! The first pair are great. The second is too light with navy jeans for my taste. The darker one would look better, if you're set on that style.

Lily, love the purple hair! (Pink roots pic link didn't work for me.)

Question re formal dinners: do I have to wear a different dress every time? Same location, some of the same people, maybe a month or so apart.

Yes, you do.  I'm sorry.

If you go with a skirt / blouse combination you can change the blouse and jacket and probably get away with the same skirt, but I'd make sure I had a completely different outfit.  Sucks.  

My best friend has also had trouble with our hairstylist and we are looking for a new colorist.  :(  We love her and her cuts are excellent.  Her take on my new color was, "You look like a wizard."  She's not one of us.  This was NOT a compliment.

Archived