Bakker XXXVIII: Where The Posters Are Damned

Madness

I know you meant to make that sound like a bad thing, but I think you'll find that it's not particularly effective as an insult.

Not at all.

After all, it's totally possible to enjoy reading Kalbear's posts while criticizing their more problematic elements :p

I don't have the book with me, but doesn't the WLW kill the "aspect emperor"? In other words, Kelly's name is not referenced. Which makes me wonder if some other has assumed that role (Fay, for example). Otherwise, it seems difficult to believe that the WLW is going to make the trek north and catch up with Kelly, or that Kelly will return to the Three Seas in his current form.

Ah that might be a good catch. But it would be weird if the WLW sees Maithanet dying, sees Esmi dying, but only knows about the Aspect Emperor dying. And if the AE was Fayanal rather than Kellhus one would think the WLW would make some remark about it. I get the WLW is rather alien and sees Time differently from us but at the same time there is something odd if it doesn't seem to notice the AE it does kill is not Kellhus.

I'm not sure the WLW really added anything to the story, save perhaps to show the blindness of the gods' future-sight. If the No-God rises the WLW may simply end up seeing the wrong future.

On the subject of allegories to our world and the equality-is-due-to-the-market stuff I really just don't this sort of thing to drive the plot in TUC. Rather than worry about the Message(tm) we should just get an answer to the all-encompassing foundational question of why dragons didn't tie choraes to their bodies.

Yeah, it's never stated that it's Kellhus:

The notch that would shatter his sword, so allowing the broken blade to plunge into the Aspect-Emperor's heart. He could even feel the blood slick his thumb and fingers, as he followed himself into the gloomy peril of the alley.

and

And so he stepped into his stepping, walked into his walking, travelled into his journey, a quest that had already ended in the death of the False Prophet

(seriously, 'stepped into his stepping?' Ugh)

Why dont dragons wear nice chorae necklaces?
Well that is easy...allergic reaction ;).

Actually this is sort of the best theory. Either their breath weapons are magical or they need to be compelled magically via Cants to serve when the No-God is not on the field.

edit: Thanks for the confirmation Kal

Re Aspect Emperors
Possible yeah but it would be a really cheap twist.

Maybe the WLW really kills Kellhus who then in turn shows those Ciphrang in the Outside who is boss and finally transfers his soul somehow into Kel junior's body.

Maybe the WLW really kills Kellhus who then in turn shows those Ciphrang in the Outside who is boss and finally transfers his soul somehow into Kel junior's body. 

And that's how Jon Snow lives! 

I've always felt like Kellhus was the AE of that vision we see through the WLW. I just think Kelmommas who is favored by Anjokli, will get him before that comes to pass. Everyone wonders what the point of Kelmommas's arc is. Its to save his dearest Mom from Yatwer's nasty creation.

Ah, that makes sense if Kelmommas can work outside the perception of the Hundred.

I've said elsewhere that the WLW warrior is killing what it sees as the False Prophet, Kellhus has already foiled the consult by making a skin-spy think it was killing Akka when it wasn't. This combined with blind-spots, the ressurection of the No-Gpd etc would leave me with expresionless surprise if it actually did happen as stated in the book.

Yeah Little Kel intervening at some point is another possibility. Or maybe the White-luck does break on Esme as Kellhus said.

Yeah, there are a million ways that the WLW could not kill Kellhus. The fact that it's stated so plainly seems like an obvious tip off that its.not going to be the death of Kellhus.

Yet it kills Maithanet by...doing what exactly? Finding the perfect moment where even a Dunyain would be distracted? It's not clear how the WLW's power works, though people in the setting seem (AFAICTell) to think it simply walks along the only possible timeline.

Yet it kills Maithanet by...doing what exactly? Finding the perfect moment where even a Dunyain would be distracted? It's not clear how the WLW's power works, though people in the setting seem (AFAICTell) to think it simply walks along the only possible timeline.

And that would go with the theory that everything is predetermined on Earwa. That's why say, Conphas know with unbelievable certainty he's gonna win at Kiyuth, he can feel it in his bones.

He didn't kill maithanet, just a body double.

Why did proyas, akka, or gotian never note maithanets similarity to kellhus in the first book? It probably has to do with what inrau found in maithanets chambers that panicked him so.

Actually this is sort of the best theory. Either their breath weapons are magical or they need to be compelled magically via Cants to serve when the No-God is not on the field.

edit: Thanks for the confirmation Kal

Not really. Don't dragons predate the landing on Earwa through Wutteat and isn't that where magic comes into the picture, and why the Inchoroi were wtfpwned by someone, finally? 

So how did they work beforehand?

The only possible timeline where he'd win I think. Otherwise you've just introduced crazier issues, where the gods can somehow fix a point in time but still need to send a completely extraneous assassin. If there's only one timeline what is the point of anything? It just goes into Dr. Manhattan-style madness.

Not really. Don't dragons predate the landing on Earwa through Wutteat and isn't that where magic comes into the picture, and why the Inchoroi were wtfpwned by someone, finally? 

Doesn't Wutteat say something about being the Inchoroi's oldest creation or something like that? Or they were brought from somewhere else?

Yea, the were made by the Inchoroi before coming to Earwa.

SUCH THINGS THAT I REMEMBER, CÛNUROI! TWISTING IN THE VOID FOR SAILING AGES! WATCHING MY MAKERS DESCEND AS LOCUSTS UPON WORLD AFTER WORLD, REDUCING EACH TO ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-FOUR THOUSAND AND WAILING TO FIND THEMSELVES STILL DAMNED

Archived