Bakker XXXVIII: Where The Posters Are Damned

Madness

Wutteat's own physiology may make him capable of breathing fire, but the Wracu created by the Inchies only spit up magma.

What I took away from that was the Inchoroi were unable to replicate that aspect of Wutteat's breath weapon.

Wutteat's own physiology may make him capable of breathing fire, but the Wracu created by the Inchies only spit up magma.

What I took away from that was the Inchoroi were unable to replicate that aspect of Wutteat's breath weapon.

I had always thought the Inchoroi did not create Wutteat, just found him and copied his bios for Wracu. But in the quote above, Wut refers to the Inchoroi as his MAKERS. Maybe the knowledge of fire breathing was lost in the crash on Earwa and magma breath is the best they were able to replicate? It's not immediately clear to me why fire breathing is a better weapon than lava spewing.

I had always thought the Inchoroi did not create Wutteat, just found him and copied his bios for Wracu. But in the quote above, Wut refers to the Inchoroi as his MAKERS. Maybe the knowledge of fire breathing was lost in the crash on Earwa and magma breath is the best they were able to replicate? It's not immediately clear to me why fire breathing is a better weapon than lava spewing.

I feel like Wracu aren't wholly biological though. There are constant references to "bronze scales," "iron bones," and "iron tusks."

Grist for the "Inchoroi are Us" mill?

Or at least the Inchoroi are what humans can/will become given enough time mill.

I posted over at tSA, maybe here too, that it was possible that Inchoroi and Nonmen are allegorical example of 'trans-humanism.' I guess that just got a little more likely.

I feel like Wracu aren't wholly biological though. There are constant references to "bronze scales," "iron bones," and "iron tusks."

Sounds more like a machine AI, then, which might explain why they don't use Chorae. Do they only protect ensouled beings? We know Skin Spies don't have souls but what about Sranc?

I'm reading the latest on TPB, and this bit:

In other words, my reasons for becoming an eliminativist were abductive to begin with. I abandoned intentionalism, not because of its perpetual theoretical disarray (though this had always concerned me), but because I became convinced that eliminativism could actually do a better job explaining the domain of meaning.

which comprises a lengthy explanation of his latest philosophical... exploits?... makes me realize that a lot of what Bakker writes on his blog comes off as a villain monologue. Can't he just get to the part where he kills me?

"You see, one can only conclude that intentionalism is a dead-end... just like you, Mr Bond."

I just wanted to read about alien philosophers.

Sounds more like a machine AI, then, which might explain why they don't use Chorae.

And I believe this is the most rational answer as to why we don't see dragon with chorae. I noticed the same thing as H. when I was looking for that quote. I mean is chorae gonna protect a rock? A sword? And as I type this, we do have one example.,..the carapace. Damn, that ain't the reason dragons don't wear chorae.

ETA: There is a look how my brain works. Sorry I subjected you to it.

I'm reading the latest on TPB, and this bit:

which comprises a lengthy explanation of his latest philosophical... exploits?... makes me realize that a lot of what Bakker writes on his blog comes off as a villain monologue. Can't he just get to the part where he kills me?

Maybe he is trying to kill you.

Unfortunately his technique is a bit off for the whole "commit suicide in horror" thing, instead he can cause mild headaches and, if he really tries, the occasional nosebleed.

Yet it kills Maithanet by...doing what exactly? Finding the perfect moment where even a Dunyain would be distracted? It's not clear how the WLW's power works, though people in the setting seem (AFAICTell) to think it simply walks along the only possible timeline.

Sorry, I should have explained that better. I mean that, so far, what the WLW has seen has come to.pass, but there's no guarantee that will.continue, especially considering all the ways Kellhus breaks the rules. Has he been to the outside? How.does his.fire-seeing work? Plus as others have mentioned Bakker doesnt say Kellhus, he says the AE. Does Kellhus crown Proyas or Kayutas? Do Celmomas or Fanayal claim the title?

Mostly I just wonder what purpose would be served by Bakker announcing Kellus's death a book before it happens. And see all these plausible ways that it won't happen.

Even though I am likely wrong on all counts of predictions.we really should have an "I told you so" thread once TUC is released.

does AE even die in the prophetics? thought it said knife in heart; that ain't nothin'.

For real. Kellhus teleported a knife into moenghus chest and he may have lived probably using the same method of body transfer the white luck warrior uses. Twood be funny if kellhus takes over the white luck warriors body.

I argued vociferously before that wracu are machines, and was thoroughly destroyed by large amounts of textual refutation. I'm still fond of the idea though.

I don't recall the textual evidence specifically disproving that wracu could be machines. Let's have that argument again. Just kidding, let's not; but I really like that idea.

I also like the idea that Chorae are radiatioactive and scorceros are jsut really radiation-sensitive.

Pardon me, I'm not nearly drunk enough.

Well, I don't really believe that Wracu would be wholly machines. I think they have mechanical parts bound by biological ligatures, flesh and a brain. In other words, descendant Wracu are Tekne cyborgs of sorts.

Wutteät is not the typical Wracu though, he is the progenitor and considering what he says, he was probably found on some other planet and 'enhanced' with immortality and probably all the metallic fix-in's.

The Chorae thing is tough to explain, but considering how little we know of how a Chorae works, along with how little we know of a Wracu's nature, there is plenty of room for plausible explanations.

There are even some neat ideas bundled in what we do know, like for example, if a Wracu's bones are iron, this could explain their desire to horde treasure, since they would have to diet on metals to fuel their own growth.

I'm curious though, where does it detail that descendant Wracu have magma breath, rather than fire? I can't seem to find a reference.

I always thought Wracu must be of the Few.

I mean these things were supposed to destroy mages, a decent Mandati could wreck a battle tank IMO so I expect the Wracu to have some sort of offensive battle technique or to need "magic" to tether them to their bodies.

It's not entirely clear Wutteat is even mortal.

Perhaps to look into the Inverse Fire is to look down Wutteat's maw and see his furnace hearted core.

*punches self*

Didn't he say he's powered by hell? He can't die until the gate is sealed against the gods.

Basically afflicted by every metal trope there is.

descendant Wracu are Tekne cyborgs of sorts.

Oh god, cyborg dragons! Oh yeah!

Archived