Bakker XXXVIII: Where The Posters Are Damned

Madness

Incorrect rendition of Mimara?

I'm bad at tracking character details (I mean, Akka is white, right! ;) ). What is a correct rendition?

(hoping to bait one of our noble PON artists into a rendition...well, I say bait because I really aught to owe a beer but wont be able to deliver, so it seems baiting. Actually, I have a few dollars of bitcoin...)

Aww, now you're bringing it home to some sort of practical application to real life!

See the reason to go on about people (supposedly) liking the rape in the book or accepting it is to better enable the escapism from life. As long as all the fiction is hoovered free of bad things, that's all that matters - doesn't matter if there's real life sex slavery or such to battle. Just make sure the fiction is clean, for escaping to - and if a book raises our ugly human nature and someone doesn't rage against the author for that, then they are into rape or accepting of it!

Every time these nasty things get in...it distracts from the escape into fantasy. And only monsters would distract from that! Monsters!

Who is advocating bowlderization?

There's a difference between liking a character/finding him Interesting to read about and excusing said characters actions and oh why do I bother. Don't rape people. Please. It's bad mmmmkay?

Don't break horses and men either. It makes Baby Jesus cry.

See the reason to go on about people (supposedly) liking the rape in the book or accepting it is to better enable the escapism from life. As long as all the fiction is hoovered free of bad things, that's all that matters - doesn't matter if there's real life sex slavery or such to battle. Just make sure the fiction is clean, for escaping to - and if a book raises our ugly human nature and someone doesn't rage against the author for that, then they are into rape or accepting of it!
It's so cute when you try to talk smack. The equivalence of 'this character isn't particularly likeable' to 'all things must be likeable' is laughable. Similarly, equating 'this character is a rapist' with 'this author is a bad person' is silly. 

Why interpret things that aren't there? Why take offense when none is stated? Why do you need to defend an author from observations on their characters - observations that the author himself has said are accurate? 

Why is it so painful to admit that, for instance, Cnaiur is a rapist? Or is it more that you're hurt that you like Cnaiur, and you feel guilty because of it for some reason? I don't think that you need to feel any guilt, personally, and if I implied that I apologize. Him being a rapist - or Akka being a misogynist - and you liking them is not particularly some moral failing on your part.

Nor is writing about them some moral failing on Bakker's part - and believing that this is the problem that people have with Bakker is so incredibly banal it's sad. Again, think about what the board's main purpose is about and why we all ended up here - do you really think that fans of ASOIAF are somehow aghast at people writing about rapists, murderers, thieves and adulterers? Do you really believe people that simplistic? 

Aww, now you're bringing it home to some sort of practical application to real life!

Every time these nasty things get in...it distracts from the escape into fantasy. And only monsters would distract from that! Monsters!

Are you suggesting Bakker wrote this stuff to call attention to real life problems? Because that's probably a massive failure on this part his part if so.

Speaking of rape, while we always get a description of details of how women are raped and it is awful to read since it's generally from her perspective we never get a description of rape from the two alleged males raped. One we can only infer by the fact that both the rapist and victim actively refuse to think about it, all we know for certain is the victim was severely beaten. And the other has no evidence for the alleged rape other than the victim murdering the alleged rapist shortly after the event was not described, it is only ones imagination that fills in the severity and degree of the alleged sexual abuse in both instances. But Bakker doesn't leave it up to imagination for female victims, he forces you to confront all the horrific details and aftermath of the experience. I think its a good approach by the author. I wish he had applied the same standard to the conphas scene and I'm curious what his reasoning was to nor do so.

But Bakker doesn't leave it up to imagination for female victims, he forces you to confront all the horrific details and aftermath of the experience.

Could you give examples? “Rape” is a pretty flexible term, so I’m not sure which scenes spring to your mind. The most detailed ones I can think of are magically coerced intercourse with Consult avatars, which we get from both male and female perspectives. I may be wrong.

It's so cute when you try to talk smack.

It's so cute when you just refer to it as smack, as it if the matter is just entirely about you. But I'd expect a rote responce.

The equivalence of 'this character isn't particularly likeable' to 'all things must be likeable' is laughable. Similarly, equating 'this character is a rapist' with 'this author is a bad person' is silly. 

Why interpret things that aren't there? Why take offense when none is stated? Why do you need to defend an author from observations on their characters - observations that the author himself has said are accurate? 

Why is it so painful to admit that, for instance, Cnaiur is a rapist? Or is it more that you're hurt that you like Cnaiur, and you feel guilty because of it for some reason? I don't think that you need to feel any guilt, personally, and if I implied that I apologize. Him being a rapist - or Akka being a misogynist - and you liking them is not particularly some moral failing on your part.

Nor is writing about them some moral failing on Bakker's part - and believing that this is the problem that people have with Bakker is so incredibly banal it's sad. Again, think about what the board's main purpose is about and why we all ended up here - do you really think that fans of ASOIAF are somehow aghast at people writing about rapists, murderers, thieves and adulterers? Do you really believe people that simplistic?

More Eliza 'What makes you say X?' rote turn around, skipping the actual content for being incapable of engaging it.

My post was an addition for the person Michael Seswatha Jordan spoke to. Not their answering machine.

in the event that we are ever simultaneously confronted with an antichrist who sponsors a fundamentalist state and a genocide cult that sponsors a rape alien invasion, we'll be well guided.

thanks obama

hahahahahah :bowdown:

I dared dream that we'd get a release date this pas week and then  we'd get our merest fraction.  Alas. 

Really hoping we hear soon and that the release date isn't too far away.  If we were to hear something this month, would a January or February release be realistic?

Something interesting from Leibniz's Monadology:

Among other differences which exist between ordinary souls and minds, some of which differences I have already noted, there is also this: that souls in general are living mirrors or images of the universe of created things, but that minds are also images of the Deity or Author of nature Himself, capable of knowing the system of the universe, and to some extent of imitating it through architectonic ensamples, each mind being like a small divinity in its own sphere.

Recollection? Psukhe?

I dared dream that we'd get a release date this pas week and then  we'd get our merest fraction.  Alas. 

Really hoping we hear soon and that the release date isn't too far away.  If we were to hear something this month, would a January or February release be realistic?

R Scott "Promises Promises" Bakker :(

At this point maybe fans should just schedule a Mission Impossible style raid

Archived