Bakker XXXVIII: Where The Posters Are Damned

Madness

Could total recollection be the key to oblivion and thus release from damnation, and this is why the Hundred drive people to hate sorcerers? Does total recollection erase the troublesome "I" by eliminating all ignorance (if we assume the individual soul-self in the Bakkerverse is mere[ly] a matter of Self-deception on the part of God)?

Consider this teaching which supposedly allowed Bahiya, who was not a monk, to reach enlightenment in mere seconds ->

"Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two.

This, just this, is the end of suffering."

-Buddha

Can the Hundred act on other planets? Does magic make it easier for there to be Wights and Hell Frames and White Luck Warriors?

How exactly did the Inchies learn of their damnation if they apparently lived in a world where there isn't any obvious indication of paranormal phenomenon?

What I mean is yes they used the Inverse Fire to try and peer into Hell (or so the story goes), but why even bother making such a device? If there were religions and claims of damnation on their world that they ignored as they evolved and found no evidence, why did they begin to once ore fear such possibilities?

Did their evil reach such heights that they outpaced any other crime in history and thus made a topos? Or is it possible that transhumanism - the modifications the Inchies use - is also worthy of damnation? Or was it altering the brains of ensouled beings, which pissed off the gods because an ensouled being reduced to the intellect animal is granted Oblivion?

It seems that having the capacity for self-awareness, which may or not be a "pinching off" of the God's own personality into yet another delusion of individuality, is what makes "souls" and what feeds the Ciphrang and Hundred. Perhaps editing sentient brains to lose enough self-awareness makes them less tasty or even spares them from damnation.

Sci, all great questions. I think we speculated before that the Inverse Fire may have been an accidental invention.

Inchoroi 1: Hey this new quantum phase-shifting phallus ring is ready for testing.

Inchoroi 2: Sweet, let me put it on. Um, oh shit, this thing hurts. Ahhhh, fuck, OMG the agony. WHAT DO I SEE?

On other subjects and the hundred, currently I'm humouring the idea that like blind men have been known to perform miracles/magic under great duress, I'm wondering if the hundred are actually a bunch of really obnoxiously stubborn people who by sheer nagging sort of willed themselves to the outer frame and dominate there now, not allowing anyone else to get there (as much as they can)

On other subjects and the hundred, currently I'm humouring the idea that like blind men have been known to perform miracles/magic under great duress, I'm wondering if the hundred are actually a bunch of really obnoxiously stubborn people who by sheer nagging sort of willed themselves to the outer frame and dominate there now, not allowing anyone else to get there (as much as they can)

You know, I've often thought the same thing. What gives me pause is Kellhus's statement about warring pieces on the outside. It makes me think that both Inrithi and Fanim are right. There used to be a solitary god, but at some point he was broke into a hundred warring pieces. Or, their just aspects of the one god. :dunno:

You know, I've often thought the same thing. What gives me pause is Kellhus's statement about warring pieces on the outside. It makes me think that both Inrithi and Fanim are right. There used to be a solitary god, but at some point he was broke into a hundred warring pieces. Or, their just aspects of the one god. :dunno:

This seems like a possibility that we've not fully explored. 

To wit:

It's pretty clear that there are gods and that the Hundred, specifically, exist. 

It's largely hinted that there's a "god" whether that's the transcendent, solitary god or the many-aspected god of the Inrithi. 

So could it actually be the case that the Intrithi and the Fanim have both observed shit correctly but may have just made different interpretations of it?

So could it actually be the case that the Intrithi and the Fanim have both observed shit correctly but may have just made different interpretations of it?

That's what I'm leaning towards. Just like in the real world, is God, Yahweh and Allah just the same dude? Makes all these religious feuds pretty pointless, no? Just different cultures and everyone likes to think their right.

Or maybe they shout louder than him/her/it and him/her/it is drowsy with compassion?

If you remove value evaluations of 'will torture you eternally', then sure, they've just seen the same thing.

If you remove value evaluations of 'will torture you eternally', then sure, they've just seen the same thing.

False dichotomy.  I didn't say that they were equal.  My point is that it's possible that angels and demons exist, and the challenge is figuring out what their existence means. 

Hey, I've just been thinking about that quote from the Witness of Fane ("the ends of the earth shall be wracked by the howls of the wicked, and the idols shall be cast down and shattered, stone against stone. And the demons of the idolaters shall hold open their mouths, like starving lepers, for no man living will answer their outrageous hunger") - is this Fane's vision of the closure of the world after the Second Apocalypse?

Archived