Bakker XXXVIII: Where The Posters Are Damned

Madness

Suggestion on the blog that something could be announced this week but with the caveat that nothing is finalized yet. 

I'd be encouraged, but this is exactly the sort of thing I've been telling my supervisors regarding my massively overdue thesis - 'anytime this week'. But hey, I might actually get it in this week, let's see if I can beat Overlook on this account.

I found it interesting that Bakker recognizes his need to get out and get some publicity started. Buzzfeed had PoN ranked 38, and I've read aplenty of the books ahead of it. Not the same stock, IMHO. Nobody knows about Bakker, indeed.

That was actually a great list. Only thing missing is Stanek.

How could a woman like Cnaüir? He a rapist and a murderer and, and ,and.... The wife likes him too. ;) You know, because its a fantasy series and most people can separate that from real life.

Hopefully she doesn't try and excuse his rape and murder and accepts that that is what he's done in the books instead of try and say that it either didn't happen or all that raping and murdering wasn't really that bad. 

Then again, as you say - most people can separate that from real life, because most people are pretty bad at being self-aware and are in general giant hypocrites.

I found it interesting that Bakker recognizes his need to get out and get some publicity started. Buzzfeed had PoN ranked 38, and I've read aplenty of the books ahead of it. Not the same stock, IMHO. Nobody knows about Bakker, indeed.

I thought the list was 51 series in random order rather than them being ranked with 1 being the best.

It's a very good list btw. 

Then again, as you say - most people can separate that from real life, because most people are pretty bad at being self-aware and are in general giant hypocrites.

I'm not picking up what your putting down here Kalbear. How can someone having the ability to separate fiction from reality, mean that they're not self-aware enough and in general giant hypocrites?

We've (the wife and I) have had this conversation multiple times. She agrees that the rape scene (and any rape scene in fiction, and there are countless depictions in every genre) is uncomfortable and is not something to gloat over. But, that alone does not define the character Cnaüir. IMHO, Cnaüir is quite possibly the most well written character in this genre. A murdering, raping, insane barbarian, yes. But, getting to delve into his physce is quite interesting. He's intelligent, the anti-Kellhus, he is a man unto himself. He offers you the perspective of someone who can foil (as much as possible) a Dûnyain. He loses his shit and I find it fantastic to read about. He offers justice, in his own way. I could go on, but, you get my point. There is so much more to him than the rape thing. Its just all you choose to focus on. Same with Akka. You look at the negatives and blow them up for everyone, then say, "How? How could you associate with such filth, how can you relate?." That sir, is hypocritical. Because, if you can name me one person in this world you doesn't have dirty laundry, I call you a liar. Maybe not in such heights as fictional characters we read about, but yes buddy their there, all around you. I feel you are just looking at anything to throw your arms up at, and be offended. Your highlighting the bad and ignoring what makes people like them, and that is the height of hypocrisy and self-awareness.

Now, not to justify, but to put some more weight behind my argument, look at the culture of the Scyvendli and Earwa in general. Do they have slaves? Does Cnaüir have multiple wives? Are any of these things acceptable in our culture? How about the fictional Scyvendli culture we're introduced to? Do they keep women as prizes of war and treat them as property? Is this acceptable in our culture? Your adding apples and oranges and expecting to make sense of it. Nothing in this series is expected to be accepted in our culture, and isn't that the point of it? So, it makes you feel better and think your presenting some valid argument that if you stuck ANY of these characters in our world, we wouldnt have a beer with them? Of course not, but it doesn't mean that reading about them and enjoying them is some damn atrocity. Seriously, get over yourself.

Seriously there is nothing wrong with liking cnaiur. There is something wrong with using reasons for liking him as a way to excuse, downplay or justify his behavior. Acknowledge his behavior is wrong but don't add a qualifying "but".

Archived