A+J=T v.6

UnmaskedLurker

It only makes more sense if you think you know where the story is going -- and I suspect you do not. I think the point of AJT is to provide the third head of the dragon. My suspicion is that GRRM needs to have 3 heads of the dragon come together to win the war for the dawn (presumably battle against the Others). The 3 heads are Targ descendants ("of the dragon") so making Tyrion the son of Aerys answers how he can be a head of the dragon (and likely ride a dragon). Neither Jaime nor Cersei is going to be a head of the dragon, so there is no reason to make them children of Aerys -- and it complicates the entire bloodline issue with Jon, Dany and Tyrion otherwise being the only 3 descendants of Aerys alive at the time -- and thus the only 3 characters who really can be the heads of the dragon. 

There is also the symmetry of Jaime and Tyrion killing the other's father -- as well as an explanation for why Tywin is desperate for Jaime to inherit CR but not Tyrion.

So while on the surface, I can see how the twincest and the "flip of the coin" with Targs (with Jaime sane and Cersei seeming a bit mad) makes for a case of A+J=C&J, but given the overall character arcs and story set-up that GRRM has crafted, it just does not really work for the plot. On the other hand, A+J=T seems like it is going to be critical to the plot.

But whatever way GRRM goes, it will be because that resolution is what made the story work, and in retrospect will be the solution that makes the most sense. We really cannot say now -- without knowledge of how the plot is going to unfold -- that one or the other makes more sense. But given the clues that have led me to A+J=T, and the conclusions i have come to regarding what this issue means for the plot going forward, I think A+J=T makes quite a bit of sense (while A+J=C&J complicates the plot in a way that does not really work).

It only makes more sense if you think you know where the story is going -- and I suspect you do not. I think the point of AJT is to provide the third head of the dragon. My suspicion is that GRRM needs to have 3 heads of the dragon come together to win the war for the dawn (presumably battle against the Others). The 3 heads are Targ descendants ("of the dragon") so making Tyrion the son of Aerys answers how he can be a head of the dragon (and likely ride a dragon). Neither Jaime nor Cersei is going to be a head of the dragon, so there is no reason to make them children of Aerys -- and it complicates the entire bloodline issue with Jon, Dany and Tyrion otherwise being the only 3 descendants of Aerys alive at the time -- and thus the only 3 characters who really can be the heads of the dragon. 

There is also the symmetry of Jaime and Tyrion killing the other's father -- as well as an explanation for why Tywin is desperate for Jaime to inherit CR but not Tyrion.

So while on the surface, I can see how the twincest and the "flip of the coin" with Targs (with Jaime sane and Cersei seeming a bit mad) makes for a case of A+J=C&J, but given the overall character arcs and story set-up that GRRM has crafted, it just does not really work for the plot. On the other hand, A+J=T seems like it is going to be critical to the plot.

But whatever way GRRM goes, it will be because that resolution is what made the story work, and in retrospect will be the solution that makes the most sense. We really cannot say now -- without knowledge of how the plot is going to unfold -- that one or the other makes more sense. But given the clues that have led me to A+J=T, and the conclusions i have come to regarding what this issue means for the plot going forward, I think A+J=T makes quite a bit of sense (while A+J=C&J complicates the plot in a way that does not really work).

I guess we will see.Tyrion becomes a bit mad with Westeros after ASOS .

Archived