Looking Down on Freys

The Wolves

I keep seeing posters say things like "the Freys were looked down upon" or they were constantly slighted but where is that in the books?

Who slighted the Freys before AGOT? Who looked down upon them? Where is the idea that they were treated horribly? They are one of the riches houses in Westeros and they managed to turn land into a profit that wasnt a gold or silver mine yet people keep saying that they were looked down upon and I don't see that.

I keep seeing posters say things like "the Freys were looked down upon" or they were constantly slighted but where is that in the books?

Who slighted the Freys before AGOT? Who looked down upon them? Where is the idea that they were treated horribly? They are one of the riches houses in Westeros and they managed to turn land into a profit that wasnt a gold or silver mine yet people keep saying that they were looked down upon and I don't see that.

They were victims of social snobbery.  I have to assume some of it came from jealous families.

Walder Frey was an annoying sniveling brat as a kid.  He hasn't gotten more likable since.

The reason he got the byname of The Late Lord Frey was his penchant for not showing up until the battle was basically won so he could be certain of being on the winning side.  The man is a coward.  And he's spent decades complaining about not getting the respect he thinks he's entitled to, but has never bothered to try and earn.

ETA: also from dragonback the Freys all look like little ants.

His liege lord made an insulting name for him and they are considered upstarts because they're a relatively new house.

That, and they derive income from charging tolls as opposed to the terra firma, and abused their position as being the only bridge over the Green Fork.

Walder Frey was an annoying sniveling brat as a kid.  He hasn't gotten more likable since.

The reason he got the byname of The Late Lord Frey was his penchant for not showing up until the battle was basically won so he could be certain of being on the winning side.  The man is a coward.  And he's spent decades complaining about not getting the respect he thinks he's entitled to, but has never bothered to try and earn.

Good point, Walder Frey has shown to lack the courage and loyalty valued by so many lords. 

All of the reasons listed above plus I think most of the insinuations of lack of respect for Freys comes from Weasel..I mean Walder himself. He sat on his throne with Catelyn (his liege lord's daughter) throwing insults at her about her father and brother. Then he went on a whinny tangent about how insulting it was that Tywin didn't ask his help to sack the riverlands (which he should have been loyal to) and how Hoster didn't attend the last two weddings held at the Twins (justifying his lack of concern for Riverrun's invasion by Lannisters). Then he goes on about Jon Arryn not taking any of his grandchildren to foster in KL and the absolute worst offense of Arryn choosing Stannis to foster little Robert instead of sending him to the Twins to be fostered by him....as if THAT was a good idea.;)

Aside from them making their fortune as essentially highway robbers! I think their "social snubery" was more of self-fulfilling prophecy.

Nobody looked down on Tywin, and he came into the rebellion late.  But wait, he bought his reputation by killing three innocent people! :frown5: 

If we really consider it carefully, what Tywin and Walder did was very smart.  It wasn't their fight to begin with.  Why get dragged into a fight, a rebellion where you may lose your wealth and your lands just because damn Arryn didn't want to give up two boys. 

The Tullys were ticked at Walder because the man chose to stay neutral.   The man was a Tully bannerman, but he was also a subject of the king.  It's a worse transgression to rebel against your king than to rebel against your liege lord.  Hoster is a hypocrite.  The man had to be bribed to get him to join the rebellion and he dare judge Frey, Darry, and Goodbrook!

Nobody looked down on Tywin, and he came into the rebellion late.  But wait, he bought his reputation by killing three innocent people! :frown5: 

If we really consider it carefully, what Tywin and Walder did was very smart.  It wasn't their fight to begin with.  Why get dragged into a fight, a rebellion where you may lose your wealth and your lands just because damn Arryn didn't want to give up two boys. 

The Tullys were ticked at Walder because the man chose to stay neutral.   The man was a Tully bannerman, but he was also a subject of the king.  It's a worse transgression to rebel against your king than to rebel against your liege lord.  Hoster is a hypocrite.  The man had to be bribed to get him to join the rebellion and he dare judge Frey, Darry, and Goodbrook!

Tywin actually contributed to the rebels even if it was late, Walder literally did nothing. And Ned Stark, ungrateful cunt he is, does look down on him in a similar way Hoster does Walder.

the Freys were actually a very industrious family by building the bridge and the twins. However, it is this current Lord's waivering loyalty through the years, especially when wars come about that earned him disrespect. Also, he has had several wives after untimely deaths for them and his extreme old age has produced more sons than he can marry off and they are producing grandchildren with the same problem. As for the daughters, there are so many, providing dowerys for all of them must be a problem but it is the ugly side of the snickering. His family has a reputation for producing ugly women. Roslyn Frey is considered a remarkable beauty which she must get from her Rosby mother.

If there is one thing that most contemporary people had against them before the Red Wedding was when the Riverlands were fighting tooth and nail with the allies against the Targs, Lord Walder's banner was called but he did not show up until the battle was over. He was unreliable as a bannerman to House Tully and he did it again when Tywin was pre-empting war by ravaging the Riverlands.

People didn't dare look down on Tywin.  For one thing he had power.  For another he had money.  Third, his family is one of the oldest in Westeros and used to be kings.  He'd once been friends with Aerys, the people who didn't know any better might have suspected that he struggled with the decision to join the rebellion.

Just because "damn Arryn" didn't want to give up two boys?  That's oversimplifying.  Ned and Robert were grown men.  They were not subject to Jon Arryn in any way.  It really shows how crazy Aerys was that he thought Jon could or would just behead them when they hadn't done anything wrong.

When your liege lord calls the banners, you go.  Hoster Tully called the banners.

Walder didn't stay neutral.  He showed up at the end claiming he'd been meaning to support the winners all along.  If he'd chosen to fight for the king, that would have been acceptable, but he didn't.

Hoster is a hypocrite.  But that doesn't make Walder any less of an ass.

Sure.

Of course that backfired on Hoster as he was in desperate need of the Freys assistance in AGOT.

Hoster was dying in AGoT.  What he was in desperate need of was modern medicine.

Tywin actually contributed to the rebels even if it was late, Walder literally did nothing. And Ned Stark, ungrateful cunt he is, does look down on him in a similar way Hoster does Walder.

Ned is an equal opportunity snob though.  He doesn't care how high up in the nobility you are, if you don't meet his standards, he's looking down.  

By the way, why should Ned be grateful to Tywin?  Lord Lion didn't do him any favors.

Walder seems to feel slighted by more "noble" houses refusing his marriage proposals. Especially from his liege lord.

Despite being the late lord Frey to Roberts rebellion, Walder took the opposite direction in the Robb's rebellion. He entered his forces rather early on for the sweetest wedding deal of his long life.

Then the young wolf had to go and truly prove his youth in the west, I know you wanted pre slights but we don't truly know what pissed in Walder's water.

Why did Robb send his mother to broker their toll? She talked him into it despite other councillors advice. Then she led him to believe that marrying a Frey was his only option for safe passage, but was that really the case? Sorry for getting off the topic at hand but it seems the red wedding was the result of all the wedding slights with Robb being the final straw

Sure.

Of course that backfired on Hoster as he was in desperate need of the Freys assistance in AGOT.

Do you think Walder didn't send his forces because of a nickname? Walder never commits to any side unless there is something in it for him. 

I'm tired of these troll threads. People in Westeros look down upon the Freys with good reason, there is something truly fucked up about that family.

We know that there are a couple of decent Freys but in general that family produces horrible people that you don't like as allies and you don't respect as enemies. 

Walder Frey isn't the only problem, think about all the psychos they produce like the  Little Walder, there's something wrong with their genes. I know its not gonna happen but i sincerely hope for the Freys to get |"Reyned"

I'm tired of these troll threads. People in Westeros look down upon the Freys with good reason, there is something truly fucked up about that family.

We know that there are a couple of decent Freys but in general that family produces horrible people that you don't like as allies and you don't respect as enemies. 

Walder Frey isn't the only problem, think about all the psychos they produce like the  Little Walder, there's something wrong with their genes. I know its not gonna happen but i sincerely hope for the Freys to get |"Reyned"

This is not a troll thread I don't make troll threads.

This is me asking a question because I don't get how people keep saying things like the Freys were looked down upon or they were constantly slighted I didn't get that when I read the books so I asked a question.

This is not a troll thread I don't make troll threads.

This is me asking a question because I don't get how people keep saying things like the Freys were looked down upon or they were constantly slighted I didn't get that when I read the books so I asked a question.

Sorry, jumped the gun here, confused your post with the other Frey troll thread which was just nauseating.

Archived