source question - journey KL to WF

sweetsunray

In aGoT of reread I was stumped by the fact that I did not come across a length of time reference about Robert's journey from KL to WF. I was sure there was some mention about an approximate length of journey time for that. So, I hoped the extensive timeline would help me out there, but though it postulates a date of arrival it gives no reference for it. I googled it, and I came across threads regarding distance, size and time... and the mentioning that the first book states it took Robert a month, but none of those posts ever gives a reference (chapter, pov) about that, and searching for "month", "journey" and "travel" in asearchoficeandfire so far did not back the claim that it took Robert a "month".

So, anyone an idea what the source is of "It took Robert a month to travel from KL to WF"?

I thought it was months. Not quite sure. Though, I've heard about it being 3 months or so, but mostly it's just assumptions. 

3 months is what I had in my head too but no idea why. Maybe it was mentioned in the tv show or its notes.

I searched for "moon" but no results either.

I think people make estimates by indirect evidence such as the size of the direwolves: they were newborn the day Cat informed Ned about Robert's visit - it is implied that they had just departed from KL - and they were old enough to eat meat at the feast, etc. (Now, where would someone base the development rythmes of direwolves, I have no idea.)

But you're right, I don't think there's something really concrete. I hope the timeline geniuses can give more specific answers.

I think the reference for a month's travel time comes from the TV show. I vaguely remember it being stated in the first episode by Cersei when Robert wants to go visit the Crypts in Winterfell. Or am I out in left field? 

Yup, you're right. I was incorrect, she apparently said a month instead of months.

Ok, I popped in the first episode of the show in the DVD player... That's where the "month" reference comes from by Cersei upon arrival at WF. There is no time mentioned in the books, other than that the journeying from the Trident to KL took a fortnight. So, the TV series claim is BS. Taking that distance with "fortnight" across the map, and it would take a little less than 2 months, about a month from the Twins to KL. And the app says 8 days from WF to the borders of Barrowlands, which would by extension mean a month from WF to Twins. So, it can be postulated to take 2 months, which is still fast, but the mystery seems to be solved - there's no direct source for the time it took for Robert and Queen Cersei to travel from KL to WF in the books. It's a show ref.

Initially I thought that might be it, but then by googling I came across so many people claiming "in the first book it took Robert a month" that I thought I couldn't read anymore LOL and I had to solve it... sometimes aSoIaF can be like an "itch".

A month seems way to short based on comments about Cerseis wagon going extremely slow, 50 miles a day is a long haul for an army not a queen, and its like a 2k mile trek. It would take 40 days at a 50 mile a day pace, and it is extremely doubtful that they travelled that fast.

I seem to recall Arya or Sansa mentioning the time it took them to cross the Neck?  If we can find that a simple ruler can finish the job.  Sansa also mentions a time frame from when Ser Wymer came threw, and we get a timeframe from Mormont on Ser Wymer as well.

I just checked some of Sansa-Arya chapters from AGoT and Sansa mentions it took them 12 days to cross the Neck, but that's pretty much it.

Also, in Tyrion II they are traveling from Winterfell to the Wall for a fortnight and haven't yet arrived. Granted, it's noted that three days north of Winterfell the road becomes a goat track but still this could be countered by the group's (much) faster pace. So yea, a month is ridiculous.

Two and a half months, close to three.

25 miles per day in the Riverlands, about 27 miles per day in the Neck (if I put the borders in the right place) and similarly in the Barrowlands, where there is no decent border anyway.

1620 miles, ~25 miles per day, sixty-something days. Plus rest-days. Damn good speed. Armies manage about 12 miles per day.

What I wonder though is why they took a slow land route. They could have taken a boat to White Harbor and went up the White Knife and then made for Winterfell. Spending 1/2 a year travelling seems a colossal waste of time for a King. Politically all they would just bump into a few minor Riverlords and some Freys so no real benefit to a procession. Unless Robert just wants to ride and hunt and drink.

Two and a half months, close to three.

25 miles per day in the Riverlands, about 27 miles per day in the Neck (if I put the borders in the right place) and similarly in the Barrowlands, where there is no decent border anyway.

1620 miles, ~25 miles per day, sixty-something days. Plus rest-days. Damn good speed. Armies manage about 12 miles per day.

Yeah, despite that huge royal cart wheel with broken axles and all. The extensive timeline project postulates max speed of such a royal voyage would be 14 miiles per day tops. That would be 116 days, aka 3 months and 3 weeks; and that would be making great time.

But ok, GRRM did say travel time takes plot time.

What I wonder though is why they took a slow land route. They could have taken a boat to White Harbor and went up the White Knife and then made for Winterfell. Spending 1/2 a year travelling seems a colossal waste of time for a King. Politically all they would just bump into a few minor Riverlords and some Freys so no real benefit to a procession. Unless Robert just wants to ride and hunt and drink.

Yup, and while they think it's 150 coming with the King, it's actually 300 riding with them. Maybe it's because they take the whole royal family along. Can't risk a whole royal family including heirs on ships that may end up shipwrecked. It's like Air Force One and the president and vice president traveling together - big no no, especially by air. And it's a way for the princes and princess to see part of the land I guess.

Wow, I never really thought about how long the court was absent from KL. I wonder who was holding things down in KL during this time, because everything seems to have been going relatively smoothly until Bobby fucked it all up by appointing a new Hand. I guess we just have the Small Counsel acting as Central Committee?

Wow, I never really thought about how long the court was absent from KL. I wonder who was holding things down in KL during this time, because everything seems to have been going relatively smoothly until Bobby fucked it all up by appointing a new Hand. I guess we just have the Small Counsel acting as Central Committee?

Yup, it would have been the Small Counsel, and for a long time, since with Bran's fall the day before they originally planned to leave for KL again, the stay at WF was prolonged.

Don't be confused by modern politics. Any important decision could wait a year or two - apart from KL itself, the message to do anything would take a couple months anyway.

Archived