Varys lets Aegon's survival slip in ACoK?

SerLinginBerry

I noticed that too.  I hope it was not simply a typo, omitting the 's'.  Elia's children are referred to as 'babes' in other parts of the books.

I was just doing my first reread of ACoK and came across this line when Tyrion is sniffing out the mole on the Small Council during his conversation with Varys. Page 276 in mass market paperback.

(Varys to Tyrion) "The only puzzle is what you might have offered for his {Doran Martell's} allegiance. The prince is a sentimental man, and he still mourns his sister Elia and her sweet babe."

Babe....singular. Elia had two children.

Thoughts?

In my version of the books, the quote is "and her sweet babes".

My copy, 2013, also says babe.

Whether it's a slip up or not, its still kind of strange as he's referring to Doran's feelings on the matter. Unless this is implying that Doran is aware of Aegon's survival as well?

My copy, 2013, also says babe.

Whether it's a slip up or not, its still kind of strange as he's referring to Doran's feelings on the matter. Unless this is implying that Doran is aware of Aegon's survival as well?

Not likely.  As then Arianne might well have been betrothed to Aegon instead of Viserys.

But there is a good possibility that Varys is Doran's informer at court.

Not likely.  As then Arianne might well have been betrothed to Aegon instead of Viserys.

But there is a good possibility that Varys is Doran's informer at court.

Agreed, I think there is zero chance Doran thinks Aegon is alive, otherwise his plan would make absolutely no sense. I was more so playing Devil's advocate with that question.

In my aCoK, UK paperback editions of 2011 I actually have read typos - wrong letter, and even weird sentences with two verbs (no, I don't mean 'must needs') one after the other, as if GRRM wrote a sentence, edited it, but forget to edit out a part of the prior written sentence. The editing of the books doesn't seem flawless to me, in general.

It is odd that he only mentions one of the kids, even if he's referring to Aegon. It's like Rhaenys never existed :(
By the way, there's another (potential) Varys slip (or foreshadowing, whatever you wanna call it) in aCoK:
"They say [the comet] comes as a herald before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow"
A king (not queen) + fire and blood = Aegon. Maybe Varys was already planting seeds and rumors amongst the people of KL.

Haha, I just posted this in the 'never noticed that' thread and then saw this one!

My UK 2011 edition says "babes", plural. I know that with the "lion tooth" thing the UK editions are different as well. In the UK editions both Sansa and Arya remember the name wrong of Joff's sword that ended up thrown in the Trident.

My UK 2011 edition says "babes", plural. I know that with the "lion tooth" thing the UK editions are different as well. In the UK editions both Sansa and Arya remember the name wrong of Joff's sword that ended up thrown in the Trident.

GRRM said he actually wrote it wrong on purpose in Sansa's chapter to establish her as an unreliable narrator.

There's another potential hint in this chapter (ACoK, Tyrion IV), a few lines after the one the OP mentions.

http://asearchoficeandfire.com/?q=my+little+birds+tell+me+that+princess+elia&scope%5B%5D=agot&scope%5B%5D=acok

Varys mentions that Elia called out "a certain name" when the Lannisters came for her. Tyrion misunderstands the hint and thinks Varys is referring to Gregor Clegane. Varys drops the subject and plays along with what Tyrion assumes. After all, why would Elia call out the name of her killer?

I believe that Varys is referring to a situation similar to that of Halaena Targaryen, who had to pick which child had to die ala Blood and Cheese during the Dance of the Dragons. That is, she called out "Aegon," whether she literally did or not. In her case, Elia had to either trust Varys and give up her son, or risk losing BOTH of her children.

GRRM said he actually wrote it wrong on purpose in Sansa's chapter to establish her as an unreliable narrator.

I know. But it's solely the UK editions apparently that have Sansa remembering it wrong. In the US editions it's only Arya who misremembers. The searchoficeandfire follows the US editions imo.

Archived