Secret Targs are so last year

ShadowCat Rivers

The hot new trend is that everyone is a secret skinchanger and/or greenseer.

Which, taking into account that the sole hinted prerequisite is to have the blood of the First Men, might as well be true for everyone, especially for the noble houses: we know that the Andals intermarried with First Men and that many First Men noble houses took this policy to secure their rule. After so many years it's practically impossible to have a pure Andal House. We also know, by examble, that pure First Men blood is not a prerequisite.

So there we go: every other character could be a skinchanger and if they're lucky enough, a greenseer.

Seriously now: what's the point in marking random characters as potential skinchangers/greenseers when nothing in their narrative/backstory hints to, and even more importantly, requires, such skills?

You're coming from that Rhaenys wargs Balerion thread, aren't you? 

And the one that says that Rhaegar was a greenseer

Yeah I think people want magic's precense to be more strong, apparently it isn't enough with three dragons, 6 direwolves, an assassin guild that cuts their faces off, and candles that are basically Skype, and I'm not even mentioning the "Gods" interventions here... I think ASOIAF narrative is about a world were magic disappeared and is making a comeback, and I think as GRRM too much magic ruins the human interaction

I don't think it's necessarily a desire for more magic.  I think it's a desire for more mystery.  I think some personalities are attracted to the mystery aspects of the story, and when they are not getting enough from what is available, they will manufacture more mystery.  I think it's very similar to what goes on with conspiracy theorists.  It's a need or desire for there to always be something hidden and mysterious to be "figured out". 

I don't think it's necessarily a desire for more magic.  I think it's a desire for more mystery.  I think some personalities are attracted to the mystery aspects of the story, and when they are not getting enough from what is available, they will manufacture more mystery.  I think it's very similar to what goes on with conspiracy theorists.  It's a need or desire for there to always be something hidden and mysterious to be "figured out". 

Fair point too, I for one am happy about the mysteries presented to us already in the series, we even have more questions after that mysteries are resolved.. Like for example Jon's parentage, it is a mystery through all the series, and once is answered it will generate even more questions

Fair point too, I for one am happy about the mysteries presented to us already in the series, we even have more questions after that mysteries are resolved.. Like for example Jon's parentage, it is a mystery through all the series, and once is answered it will generate even more questions

I think the biggest argument FOR, is that we're talking about a series of novels here, where the writer has already shown a penchant for putting in some pretty good mysteries and twists. 

You're coming from that Rhaenys wargs Balerion thread, aren't you? 

And the one that says that Rhaegar was a greenseer

Yes, both of them, though I don't mind the former's OP, a little easter egg for something to have remained of a little girl with a so sad ending.

It's more frustrating when it becomes a "magic" justification for convoluted and narratively irrelevant explanations which is more the case in the latter.

But suddenly it's becoming a growing trend all around, to see calculating percentages about how much Blackwood/Dayne/Royce/whathaveyou blood a character possesses. Why not Lannister, people? They are the blood of the First Men too, and Tommen has shown a great affinity to animals  ;)

As an aside, it's funny that the initial Blackwood/Dayne/Royce/whathaveyou blood source is considered as 100% pure, as if the aforementioned Houses have been practicing incest since the beginning of time.

I think the biggest argument FOR, is that we're talking about a series of novels here, where the writer has already shown a penchant for putting in some pretty good mysteries and twists. 

Yes but lately the threads doesn't center in the real mysteries, I mean, Rhaenys being a warg, Rhaegar a greenseer, Benjen is daario, and I can keep quoting,don't get me wrong most of the threads are an entertaining thought, and I enjoy reading them, but there are some cringe worthy one

Yes but lately the threads doesn't center in the real mysteries, I mean, Rhaenys being a warg, Rhaegar a greenseer, Benjen is daario, and I can keep quoting,don't get me wrong most of the threads are an entertaining thought, and I enjoy reading them, but there are some cringe worthy one

You'll have no argument from me. 

My only question is if the interwebs are a valid reflection of society and fandom, or if an excess of nuts are attracted to the medium. 

Yes, both of them, though I don't mind the former's OP, a little easter egg for something to have remained of a little girl with a so sad ending.

It's more frustrating when it becomes a "magic" justification for convoluted and narratively irrelevant explanations which is more the case in the latter.

But suddenly it's becoming a growing trend all around, to see calculating percentages about how much Blackwood/Dayne/Royce/whathaveyou blood a character possesses. Why not Lannister, people? They are the blood of the First Men too, and Tommen has shown a great affinity to animals  ;)

As an aside, it's funny that the initial Blackwood/Dayne/Royce/whathaveyou blood source is considered as 100% pure, as if the aforementioned Houses have been practicing incest since the beginning of time.

I have no idea what you're talking about  :leaving:

I don't know how many others have done the percentage thing like I did in the Rhaenys thread, but I did note in the very same post that I did not regard the Blackwood sources as 100% FM. The exact quote was:

Now if anyone's wondering where all that First Men blood came from I basically just counted Dyanna Dayne (Aegon V's mother) and Betha Blackwood (Aegon V's wife) as having a 100% chance of having First Men blood, since I don't have their family trees from before the Andals came...

And I see now that I meant before the Valyrians came...

Regarding the whole "everyone's an X" I probably find it equally as ridiculous as you do. The amount of such theories I've even thought about while reading equals 0. Then again I take a "read first, think later" and "read the lines, not between them (on the first read at least)" approach to reading for the most part.

I am firm in the opinion that Bloodraven does not manipulate events to a large extent. Really, it's just Bran that he intervened with. The line about the rarity of greenseers should help convince others of that. 

I think we know where the bulk of this craziness comes from; a sickly little boy who can skinchange into robins. :P

I am firm in the opinion that Bloodraven does not manipulate events to a large extent. Really, it's just Bran that he intervened with. The line about the rarity of greenseers should help convince others of that. 

I think we know where the bulk of this craziness comes from; a sickly little boy who can skinchange into robins. :P

The bird is the word.

I have no idea what you're talking about  :leaving:

Didn't mean to single you out  :)

I am mostly refering to stuff like "Rhaegar is 1/2 Blackwood because incest" (in quite a few threads recently, not just the one in the first page).

How much Blackwood blood does a Blackwood have? This is the question...

Blackwood is the new Targ.

Archived