Before Aegon, what did you think the Varys-Illyrio plan was?

RedShirt47

A question for the long-time forum members who remember ye olde days of yore before AFFC / ADWD were released.

What did people think the Varys-Illyrio plan was before Aegon appeared?
Illyrio was linked to the Targaryens very early with Dany's wedding at his mance in Pentos.
Varys was linked to Illrio not long after with their meeting in the tunnels beneth the Red Keep.

I know I thought they were working towards a Targaryen restoration. I assumed (took at face value) that the marriage to Drogo was in order to gain an army. I didn't put much thought in to though, it seems plausible at the time.
Of course there has been much discussion here since then and of course it certainly makes less sense when the implications of a rampage horde of Dothraki pillaging Westeros are considered.

Were there discussions of these implications or potential alternative plans that Varys-Illyrio could be scheming before Griff-Aegon turned up?

I knew Aegon was showing up from AGoT.  So that's really not a good question for me.

As far as I'm concerned the plan was to put a Targ--any Targ--back on the throne. The more Targs you have, the greater the chances that one of them will succeed.

Wow yes, I agree. I never really saw V and I using Viserys/Dany/Dothraki as a PR tool for Aegon/Griff.
I've always been under the impression that they wanted to help Vis but knowing it was a long shot had Aegon the trump card always in their hands.

Ok, I'll widen the resonses to the newer readers.

What did you think of the Varys Illyrio plan before Aegon showed up later in the books.

I was curious about what debates happened in the past but it doesn't seem like there were many "Illyrio's plan makes no sense" type threads back then.

Archived