Krakenbowl: Get Hype! (Deaths of Barristan and Jorah)

Mithras

I love all of these "Bowl"s. I just want the book to pause and have loud football/John Cena music and an announcer to scream Kraken/Clagane-booooooooooooooooooowl. 

I feel like Dany's friends need to start dropping so that she can shut up and get moving anyways, and an epic throw down is such an excellent manner to do such a thing. 

If you're looking for an excuse to have a Trial of Seven, and one of the main disputes among the parties is how to deal with Hizdahr, I think you're missing an obvious possibility:

• Shavepate: OK, we won, now let's kill Hizdahr.
  • Barry: Not without a trial.
  • Shavepate: Fine, let's go find him guilty and kill him.
  • Barry: Until Dany returns, no one is competent to judge that trial. So he lives for now.
  • Shavepate: What about that trial by combat tradition you Andals have, where your gods determine the winner? Surely your gods are competent enough for you?
  • Hizdahr: Trial by combat? I'm no fighter, and can't trust some foreign gods to grant me a victory I couldn't win for myself!
  • Shavepate: Get your friend Galazza to ask our gods to intervene for you if you're so innocent.
  • Tyrion: Now hold on, I have some experience in the matter. You can appoint a champion to fight on your behalf.
  • Hizdahr: Who did you appoint?
  • Tyrion: Well, the first time, a sellsword volunteered out of the crowd. The second time, a man who wanted vengeance against my father and my father's champion.
  • Hizdahr: The second time? So you survived two of these things? This is sounding a little better.
  • Tyrion: Well, the second--
  • Victarion: I'll do it. I volunteer for whatshisname in whatever his trial is.
  • Daario: And I am the Queen's Champion. Let's go, squidboy.
  • Barry: Sorry, as the Hand, I choose the champion for the trial, and I choose myself.
  • Daario: No, I am Dany's Champion, so I will be her champion in the trial.
  • Barry: That's not a real title. And only a Queensguard can champion a Queen.
  • Belwas: Strong Belwas is a Queensguard. Strong Belwas would have been champion against Yunkai if the old man had not said we need a battle. Strong Belwas will be champion against the gods.
  • Barry: It's not against the gods, the gods are supposed to be on your side.
  • Tyrion: Well, you can't all be her champion unless you have a Trial of Seven, so why don't you all go fight each other, and the winner can be Daenerys's champion and we can have this stupid trial and get on with running the city.
  • Tatters: And conquering Pentos.
  • Tyrion: Sure, that too, why not. Would anyone like to conquer Qohor on the way?
  • Daario: Hold on, you said Trial of Seven? What's that?
  • Barry: Sigh... In cases of great import, the offended can ask for a combat between seven men on each side. The theory is that the Seven are even more likely to notice and be honored seven men than one, thus guaranteeing justice. But nobody actually does it.
  • Tyrion: Well, nobody except for Aerion in 209. And Maegor in 42. And there was another one in the early 100s, right on the tip of my tongue...
  • Barry: OK, yes, maybe once a century it happens. But still--
  • Victarion: I get to fight seven of you? Sounds like fun.
  • Tyrion: No, it's seven on seven. Hizdahr has to find seven champions.
  • Belwas: Strong Belwas will fight seven men.
  • Tyrion: First, no, again, it's seven on seven, not one on seven. Second, you're already on Daeneyrs's side, you can't be on Hizdahr's too.
  • Hizdahr: Can I point out here that I'm also on my beloved wife's side, and the whole point of this trial is to prove that fact?
  • Tyrion: Acknowledged. But formally, these trials are staged as the sovereign against the accused. If you win, you are the loyal, undisputed, King Consort in the eyes of gods and men, as stupid as that may sound; until you do, no one can say either way.
  • Hizdahr: Fair enough.
  • Victarion: Hey, can the dragons fight on the same side as me?
  • Barry: Now you're giving me Aerys flashbacks. Let's just stop the nonsense and pick sensible champions. Who volunteers?
  • Jorah: Which side do I join if I want to die for my Khaleesi, proving my eternal love in a way that she can never ignore?
  • Daario: The side opposite me. I'll be glad to kill you for her.
  • ... and so on

“Volantis.” Selmy’s sword hand tingled. We made a peace with Yunkai. Not with Volantis. “You are certain?”

“Certain. The Wise Masters know. So do their friends. The Harpy, Reznak, Hizdahr. This king will open the city gates to the Volantenes when they arrive. All those Daenerys freed will be enslaved again. Even some who were never slaves will be fitted for chains. You may end your days in a fighting pit, old man. Khrazz will eat your heart.”

A possible clue for the krakenbowl?

• 3 months later...

I don't really expect any trial by combat, but I do think that Barristan and Victarion won't like each other. Barristan already fought against Ironmen in the First Greyjoy Rebellion, and he wouldn't trust them so easily. And Victarion would not like Barristan, because he would consider him as a defiler of The Old Wyk, the most sacred of the Iron Isles.

If you're looking for an excuse to have a Trial of Seven, and one of the main disputes among the parties is how to deal with Hizdahr, I think you're missing an obvious possibility:

• Shavepate: OK, we won, now let's kill Hizdahr.
  • Barry: Not without a trial.
  • Shavepate: Fine, let's go find him guilty and kill him.
  • Barry: Until Dany returns, no one is competent to judge that trial. So he lives for now.
  • Shavepate: What about that trial by combat tradition you Andals have, where your gods determine the winner? Surely your gods are competent enough for you?
  • Hizdahr: Trial by combat? I'm no fighter, and can't trust some foreign gods to grant me a victory I couldn't win for myself!
  • Shavepate: Get your friend Galazza to ask our gods to intervene for you if you're so innocent.
  • Tyrion: Now hold on, I have some experience in the matter. You can appoint a champion to fight on your behalf.
  • Hizdahr: Who did you appoint?
  • Tyrion: Well, the first time, a sellsword volunteered out of the crowd. The second time, a man who wanted vengeance against my father and my father's champion.
  • Hizdahr: The second time? So you survived two of these things? This is sounding a little better.
  • Tyrion: Well, the second--
  • Victarion: I'll do it. I volunteer for whatshisname in whatever his trial is.
  • Daario: And I am the Queen's Champion. Let's go, squidboy.
  • Barry: Sorry, as the Hand, I choose the champion for the trial, and I choose myself.
  • Daario: No, I am Dany's Champion, so I will be her champion in the trial.
  • Barry: That's not a real title. And only a Queensguard can champion a Queen.
  • Belwas: Strong Belwas is a Queensguard. Strong Belwas would have been champion against Yunkai if the old man had not said we need a battle. Strong Belwas will be champion against the gods.
  • Barry: It's not against the gods, the gods are supposed to be on your side.
  • Tyrion: Well, you can't all be her champion unless you have a Trial of Seven, so why don't you all go fight each other, and the winner can be Daenerys's champion and we can have this stupid trial and get on with running the city.
  • Tatters: And conquering Pentos.
  • Tyrion: Sure, that too, why not. Would anyone like to conquer Qohor on the way?
  • Daario: Hold on, you said Trial of Seven? What's that?
  • Barry: Sigh... In cases of great import, the offended can ask for a combat between seven men on each side. The theory is that the Seven are even more likely to notice and be honored seven men than one, thus guaranteeing justice. But nobody actually does it.
  • Tyrion: Well, nobody except for Aerion in 209. And Maegor in 42. And there was another one in the early 100s, right on the tip of my tongue...
  • Barry: OK, yes, maybe once a century it happens. But still--
  • Victarion: I get to fight seven of you? Sounds like fun.
  • Tyrion: No, it's seven on seven. Hizdahr has to find seven champions.
  • Belwas: Strong Belwas will fight seven men.
  • Tyrion: First, no, again, it's seven on seven, not one on seven. Second, you're already on Daeneyrs's side, you can't be on Hizdahr's too.
  • Hizdahr: Can I point out here that I'm also on my beloved wife's side, and the whole point of this trial is to prove that fact?
  • Tyrion: Acknowledged. But formally, these trials are staged as the sovereign against the accused. If you win, you are the loyal, undisputed, King Consort in the eyes of gods and men, as stupid as that may sound; until you do, no one can say either way.
  • Hizdahr: Fair enough.
  • Victarion: Hey, can the dragons fight on the same side as me?
  • Barry: Now you're giving me Aerys flashbacks. Let's just stop the nonsense and pick sensible champions. Who volunteers?
  • Jorah: Which side do I join if I want to die for my Khaleesi, proving my eternal love in a way that she can never ignore?
  • Daario: The side opposite me. I'll be glad to kill you for her.
  • ... and so on

Well, now whatever the end result we get, we know it won't be as good as reading this.

Archived