What is Jon Snow's real name?

ErasmusF

(R+L=J Spoilers below, I suppose)

So it occurs to me that if R+L=J is true, then Jon Snow isn't a real name. Posting this under WoW because I am 95% sure we will get the reveal in WoW whether Jon (if that's his real name!) is dead or alive. 

Of course, the "Snow" part is wrong, since he was most likely born in Dorne anyway. 

I am also thinking "Jon" isn't real. Jon isn't a typical Stark or Targaryan name. It's almost a tip of the hat by GRRM that Ned didn't pick a typical Stark name... Torrhen, Cregan, Beron, Ed, or Artos being traditional Stark names not taken or later assigned to another child. If he were truly Ned's son, he would not have picked a generic name - Jon Snow = John Doe.

More than likely, Rhaegar and Lyanna picked a Targaryan name. Options not already assigned to his other kids or siblings... Aenar, Aemon, Maegor, Baelor, Jaehaerys, Daeron, Maekar. Aenys, Aerys. Cooler if he names him after a dragon, like Balerion or Vhagar. Unlikley that he picked a name of one of the great bastards, Aegor or Daemon. Those are all in order of likelihood, in my eyes.     

Maybe not, and Rhaegar picked a traditional Stark name, in which case my money is on Torrhen who had the wisdom to bend the knee rather than see the North burn. This seems to be the case with Brynden Rivers, but that might have had more to do with his father's growing disinterest in naming his bastards. I think this only happens if the marriage was on the Isle of Faces and Jon is a legitimate Targ. Torrhen Targaryan has an alliterative ring to it.

So last name possibilities, in order of likelihood, IMO: Targaryan, Sand (born), Rivers (conceived), Snow (mom).

My best guess at Jon Snow's true name is:

Aenar Targaryan - named for the founder of the house, since he is TPTWP (I think Rhaegar realized his error in naming Aegon that) and he is hoped to refound House Targaryan.

Torrhen Targaryan - Ice and Fire

Aemon Targaryan - I just find it funny that two people with the same name would talk and not even know it. 

Name your top 3.  

I think Jon is his real first name. Rhaegar probably named him after his best friend Jon Connington. Coincidentally Ned's close friend is a Jon and so everybody thinks he named his kid after Jon Arryn. This is likely why Ned never had to change his name.

I think Jon is his real first name. Rhaegar probably named him after his best friend Jon Connington. Coincidentally Ned's close friend is a Jon and so everybody thinks he named his kid after Jon Arryn. This is likely why Ned never had to change his name.

Rhaegar could have named him Barristan. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :P  :P  :lmao:

For reasons cited above, I also think Jon is his true first name.

As for last name... he was born outside of marriage, so he is a bastard. He was raised in the North, so his proper bastard name is Snow.

There you go. Jon Snow's true name is... Jon Snow.

As for last name... he was born outside of marriage, so he is a bastard. He was raised in the North, so his proper bastard name is Snow.

I am of the mind that Rhaegar married Lyanna on the Isle of Faces in the tradition of the Old Gods, so whether he is legitimate or not would be a matter of debate. Jon would certainly be recognized in the North, much of the Vale, and much of the Riverlands, possibly some of the Stormlands. Safe to say the Reach, Westerlands, and Dorne would not accept him.  

It was very clear Rhaegar never loved Elia. Who knows what lengths he went to in order to marry the woman he did love.  

Jon was probably named by Rhaegar as a tribute to JonCon.

Doubtful.  I don't think Jon Con was as good a friend to Rhaegar as he wanted to be.  I got the impression Arthur Dayne was a better friends with Rhaegar than Connington was.  I think Jon Con was just in love with Rhaegar.

Doubtful.  I don't think Jon Con was as good a friend to Rhaegar as he wanted to be.  I got the impression Arthur Dayne was a better friends with Rhaegar than Connington was.  I think Jon Con was just in love with Rhaegar.

I agree. I'll also say that it's pretty rare for people to be named for friends rather than descendants in the lordly and royal houses. Do we have any examples of this? Not with the Targaryans, unless you look at the great bastards and then only the later ones. 

For reasons cited above, I also think Jon is his true first name.

There you go. Jon Snow's true name is... Jon Snow.

Not if they married by the old northern rite, if so they only need a tree, and to say the vows and rhaegar would not have wanted Lyanna to be his mistress. He loved her. Or he would have left her and fought FAR, FAR sooner.
It cost him the kingdoms.

Well, considering Rhaegar's face down at the bottom of the Trident with Robert's warhammer sticking out of his head, I don't think he's had a chance to name his posthumous kid.  Lyanna most likely died shortly before she could name him, so Eddard naming him Jon Snow is most likely what happened. He's a Snow, because Eddard claimed him as his bastard.

Well rheagar was expecting a girl, because like dany said "he was looking (or wanting) a Visenya" so, Visenya sand :lol:.
And actually there have been kings of winter/the north that were called Jon. So it probably is a stark name of sorts.

Aenar Targaryan - named for the founder of the house, since he is TPTWP (I think Rhaegar realized his error in naming Aegon that) and he is hoped to refound House Targaryan.

Why if I may ask.
He was most likely under the impression Jon was going to be a girl. He was dead before Jon was even born. There was no signs that Rhaegar saw of Jon being the prince (that we're only seeing now), there were however signs for Aegon. Sorry but it sounds like fanfiction by Jon fans to say his dad thought he was the prince.

I am of the mind that Rhaegar married Lyanna on the Isle of Faces in the tradition of the Old Gods, so whether he is legitimate or not would be a matter of debate. Jon would certainly be recognized in the North, much of the Vale, and much of the Riverlands, possibly some of the Stormlands. Safe to say the Reach, Westerlands, and Dorne would not accept him.  

It was very clear Rhaegar never loved Elia. Who knows what lengths he went to in order to marry the woman he did love.

1) We don't know they were in love (although the probably were towards the end).
And 2) we don't know if they were married. And frankly there is no reason for them to be married. Jon has already been legitimized by Robb, he's Jon targaryen without the already unlikely scenario of Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married (since it's very out of character for both of these characters to marry each other).

Why if I may ask.
He was most likely under the impression Jon was going to be a girl. He was dead before Jon was even born. There was no signs that Rhaegar saw of Jon being the prince (that we're only seeing now), there were however signs for Aegon. Sorry but it sounds like fanfiction by Jon fans to say his dad thought he was the prince.

1) We don't know they were in love (although the probably were towards the end).
And 2) we don't know if they were married. And frankly there is no reason for them to be married. Jon has already been legitimized by Robb, he's Jon targaryen without the already unlikely scenario of Rhaegar and Lyanna getting married (since it's very out of character for both of these characters to marry each other).

"Sounds like fanfiction"... welcome to the whole purpose for this site. 

"He was most likely under the impression Jon was going to be a girl" ... I am lost as to where there is evidence for that. Dany says he was looking for a Visenya. That doesn't mean he was convinced he was going to get a Visenya, and if so, then why with a Stark and not with Elia?

IMO, he realized Elia was not going to bear him TPWWP and started thinking more about the wording "his is the song of ICE and FIRE." Hence, wooing Lyanna... but all that is speculative. It means the Dany's vision at the House of the Undying was a Shaggydog, but with a clue. Rhaegar was looking for TPWWP but he was wrong about the child. In the same series of visions we have a mummers dragon and a blue rose growing out of a wall of ice. 

"We don't know that Rhaegar loved Lyanna"... well he left his wife and started a war for her. So it's sort of speculative I guess but Occam's Razor says it makes more sense than stealing her to provoke a war and then dying on the losing side without dethroning the guy, presumably, you wanted to dethrone by provoking the war in the first place. What am I missing here? 

"And frankly there is no reason for them to be married." ... unless of course Rhaegar, who was a studious fellow obsessed with prophecy, figured out the ICE and FIRE part of the TPWWP prophecy (or thought he figured it out), wooed Lyanna after seeing her compete as the Mystery Knight, and aimed to conceive TPWWP with her. He would want him to be legitimate in the eyes of the Targ tradition (basically, take whatever wife you want, you're a targ!) and the Northern traditions (in front of a weirwood). 

"And 2) we don't know if they were married." ... let me just go back to this one again. Welcome to the ASOIAF Forums! You have a lot of posts for someone who doesn't seem to get the point of the forums (i.e., reasonable speculation, discussion of unknowns, predictions, discussions of interesting bits of writing).  

Archived