"All Crows Are Liars" - Old Nan

Blazfemur

Well, pretty cryptic. Ive always based this line ont he corruption of the watch, and the coverup generations past, and attributed it to the destroying of old night's watch records to cover up everything.

Alternatively, Bloodraven is the 3-eyed crow.

And Euron Greyjoy associates his name of the crowseye, and has that third eye on his personalized sigil.

What's this in reference to? (And I don't believe for a second that it should be overlooked), this is a blatant hint.

Or perhaps worse, all crows are liars. Perhaps all three are the corrupt

I always assumed that Euron was simply compensating for the one black eye with the personal sigil.
There might be more to it.

There are people who theorize, that he's the Bran that never was. IIRC, his eye on the sigil was red, hes associated with dark arts, etc. I dont know the logistics of what the theory is between him and his connection with bloodraven, but it's apparently clear tot hose who believe in that theory.

Im not saying I DONT believe it, im justnot aware of the logistics of it

It is related to a sad love affair with a crow. Old Nan was a wildling spearwife at the time of Raymun and she fell in love with a crow (Jon-Ygritte style). The crow left her pregnant and she found herself as a captive/wetnurse at Winterfell just like Osha. Through the Old Nan Hodor has giant blood.

It is related to a sad love affair with a crow. Old Nan was a wildling spearwife at the time of Raymun and she fell in love with a crow (Jon-Ygritte style). The crow left her pregnant and she found herself as a captive/wetnurse at Winterfell just like Osha. Through the Old Nan Hodor has giant blood.

I'm afraid to ask...

I've never even heard of that, the best theory i heard was Sir Duncan the Tall, possibly getting with Old Nan and hodor as their offspring. Where's that info located?

There are people who theorize, that he's the Bran that never was. IIRC, his eye on the sigil was red, hes associated with dark arts, etc. I dont know the logistics of what the theory is between him and his connection with bloodraven, but it's apparently clear tot hose who believe in that theory.

Im not saying I DONT believe it, im justnot aware of the logistics of it

That's interesting, but I dont really know what 'Bran that never was' means.

So everything that Bran was supposed to be, only gone wicked.

Nah.

i dont see it either, personally. despite his monicker, the sigil, and his association witht he black arts, i think euron gained most of that from his time abroad -- and not north of the wall 

i dont see it either, personally. despite his monicker, the sigil, and his association witht he black arts, i think euron gained most of that from his time abroad -- and not north of the wall

I'm likely to believe that the sigil and reputation with black arts is mostly to strike fear in the opponent
- he might have paid someone to do some mojo for him, but I doubt he has any skill or knowledge of it.

I've never even heard of that, the best theory i heard was Sir Duncan the Tall, possibly getting with Old Nan and hodor as their offspring. Where's that info located?

Dunk-Old Nan theory was debunked by the World Book. That girl in Bran's vision kissing Dunk was someone else. Old Nan could not have come to Winterfell when Dunk was there. Old Nan's Brandon Stark was Edwyle's half brother.

Notice that Old Nan apparently said that without having been told by Bran that he was dreaming about the three eyed crow.

exactly. its that idea, that eliminates bloodraven as a contender. id assume the watch

Dunk-Old Nan theory was debunked by the World Book. That girl in Bran's vision kissing Dunk was someone else. Old Nan could not have come to Winterfell when Dunk was there. Old Nan's Brandon Stark was Edwyle's half brother.

William Stark died at the Battle of Long Lake in 226AC and Edwyle became Lord after his father so Nan was there previous to 226, how far previous we don't know.

We also have no clue as to the date of Dunks visit, so I think that the Dunk and Old Nan theory still has some legs...

Well, pretty cryptic. Ive always based this line ont he corruption of the watch, and the coverup generations past, and attributed it to the destroying of old night's watch records to cover up everything.

Alternatively, Bloodraven is the 3-eyed crow.

And Euron Greyjoy associates his name of the crowseye, and has that third eye on his personalized sigil.

What's this in reference to? (And I don't believe for a second that it should be overlooked), this is a blatant hint.

Or perhaps worse, all crows are liars. Perhaps all three are the corrupt

Bloodraven is the Three-Eyed Crow.  It's an established fact.  But as yet we have nothing in the text to tie Old Nan to Bloodraven.

Euron's sigil is a first eye.  To be a third eye he would need two more up there with it.  

In the past, Bloodraven sought out Euron as a possible apprentice.  Euron failed.  He was one of the dreamers impaled on the ice spikes.  That's what happened to his eye.  He was rejected from the weirnet training program for a reason.  Now he's gone evil.

It's been suggested as well that Hodor might have been somewhat normal (if dim in the wits department) and that he too fell during a greendream and it destroyed his mind.  Could be that Old Nan thinks crows in dreams lie because her great-grandson never did fly like the crow said he might be able to.

Well Old Nan is the Tom Bombaldi when it comes to knowing things.So I'm gonna go with it being about BR.

I mean he's a creepy old dude in a cave who tricks bran and company into cannibalism and is slowly draining Jojen of blood like a vampire and feeding it to Bran.

Cannibalism and kinslaying and blood sacrifice don't exactly make me trust a man.

Bloodraven is the Three-Eyed Crow.  It's an established fact.  But as yet we have nothing in the text to tie Old Nan to Bloodraven.

Euron's sigil is a first eye.  To be a third eye he would need two more up there with it.  

In the past, Bloodraven sought out Euron as a possible apprentice.  Euron failed.  He was one of the dreamers impaled on the ice spikes.  That's what happened to his eye.  He was rejected from the weirnet training program for a reason.  Now he's gone evil.

It's been suggested as well that Hodor might have been somewhat normal (if dim in the wits department) and that he too fell during a greendream and it destroyed his mind.  Could be that Old Nan thinks crows in dreams lie because her great-grandson never did fly like the crow said he might be able to.

Dafuq?!?

I like your thinking. Just go beyond good and evil... And don't assume he failed. He is king of both salt and rock in the Iron Islands.

Archived