The Hound in Season 6?

Rickyhunt

I think if they go anywhere with it they'll probably combine the Quiet Isle with other travelogue plots. No point sending Brienne there now she's up by Winterfell but they could combine it with Jaimies trip to pacify the Riverlands which is speculated to be happening in S6.

Unless they are going to move forward with Cersei and her plot in the direction a lot of people think they might go and have Sir Robert Strong be her champion in a trial by combat vs a champion of the faith.
Maybe we see whatshisface Lannister go off to the Quiet Isle to find a champion at the request of the Hugh Sparrow?

i think the hound will have a very small role in season 6. likely just to be shown as alive and maybe (hopefully) a couple scenes that remind the viewer he wasnt anywhere close to 100% when he fought brienne. imo thats the most important part. it makes absolutely no sense to have the hound get beaten in a sword fight and a fist fight by brienne if hes supposed to take part in what might arguably be the single biggest fight in the series (outside of full scale battles). 

at this point it seems like cleganebowl is all but a certainty. bringing the hound back to not have a major impact would be a huge letdown to fans of the show and books. their fight will very likely take place against cersei or for sansa. i really think its going to be later on, probably season 7, in defense of sansa still being blamed for a part in joffreys murder. but lets look at both possibilities. ill give fair warning, this will probably turn into a big post lol.

fighting in cerseis trial would all but confirm that the hound truly has turned into a religious fanatic after being saved by the elder brother and being a monk on the quiet isle. it would be the only way that hes allowed back into kings landing. without the protection of the faith militant then hes simply an outlaw with a bounty on his head who betrayed his post and king - all while as a member of the kingsguard. thats a bit bigger deal than normal desertion. its not like the hound was well liked before this in the capital either. they let him be disrespectful, condescending and in some cases make his own rules because he was one of the most feared men in westeros. even cersei freaks out when she learns that tyrion plans to have the hound as a commander during blackwater and not staying directly by joffreys side during the battle. the outcome wouldnt really benefit sandor in anyway. i would assume this would be his last fight and redemption in the eyes of the faith. then again, if the hound really is a man of religion now then this benefits him greatly on an emotional level. 

thats the usual, popular theory in terms of cleganebowl but im not buying it as much. it has too many loose ends imo.

- what becomes of the faith militant after cersei is found guilty?

- after all the hype of robert strong, whats the point of having him lose his first fight? 

- does sandor just go back to the quiet isle like none of this happened?

- what role do the tyrells play in all of this?

- does cersei try and burn down kings landing before they can capture her?

- if she is successful at that, doesnt it feel like they are taking the lannisters out of the story a little too early?

- with dany already taking forever to make her move to westeros, whats in it for her to reign in a wasteland of a capital?

- what about tommens status before all of this?

- what role does jaime have to play?

having cersei win her trial, crush the faith militant, keep doing stupid things (like pushing the tyrells even further away) and creating further choas seems like the better option. i dont know. i feel like the more likely action is the hound comes into the fold to defend sansa.

i know martin doesnt give a shit what his readers like but i dont think people would be too happy with the hound being a member of the faith militant. what i think is far more likely is that the hound is trying to be better man or is simply using the quiet isle as a place to heal himself with nothing more behind it than that. we even get a little hint that he might still have that dick attitude in him when we first see him as the gravedigger. when the elder brother is talking to the group about sandor, he conveniently flings a shovel full of dirt in their direction and gets yelled at for it. i could be reaching for an argument here but that doesnt seem like something a newly religious man with a last ditch attempt at redemption would do. that does however seem like something a character whos a dick to everyone he meets would do when he hears other people talking about him but hes not able to talk back. also, the elder brother talks about how they tried to geld stranger but the horse was too violent. if they really wanted to control him, why wouldnt they have the hound keep him calm then do it quickly? what i think is more likely is that they did it without his knowledge and the hound wouldnt cooperate in the process after the failed attempt. this keeps his warhorse, whos known throughout kings landing to have the same temper as the hound (a fricken horse that has a reputation lol), in full strength and ready for further use. a castrated horse would only be good as a pet on the quiet isle for sandor. but stranger the warhorse can help him 'escape' and still fight while riding. again, i completely admit that might be me simply reaching for leverage, but i do think they could be subtle hints that the hound isnt quite ready to settle down yet.

another small hint might be that the hound was also clearing tables (or serving the food, cant remember at the moment) for brienne and the elder brother. if hes out digging graves all day with a bum leg, why would they keep him on his feet after that for something as simple as cleaning up? to me, it seems like sandor is digging graves to keep his strength up and as a way of doing physical therapy (for lack of a better term) to get his leg back up to par. him being the biggest waiter in westeros would serve a purpose of listening in on the elder brother and briennes conversations though, which happen to be about the stark girls hes protected.

we saw him do something like this at the crossroads in (book version, not show). for a little bit he bites on the tickler and pollivers conversation while asking questions about the saltpans and whats going on in kings landing before the fight. 

with all that said, i do think it would take something big to get sandor off the quiet isle. he is still a wanted man whos in the process of healing up. he has nowhere safe to go. (books again) hes even taken advantage of by the farmer who uses him for manual labor then tells him get out, we knew who you were the whole time and we dont want your kind around us anymore. if hes not a newly converted religious fanatic, then why would he care what happens to cersei? other than saying fuck/bigger the queen, he hasnt really had any other notion of hatred towards her. hell, (in the books) there are still a couple times afterwards that we still hear him have a ton of animosity towards tyrion though. unless he is working under the faith militants command, he has 0 reason to fight against cersei. 

he does have reason to fight for sansa though. the elder brother talks about hearing both good and bad deeds from the hound, how oberyn killed gregor with a poisoned spear and things like that. this means that the quiet isle isnt out of the loop by any means from the current events in westeros. hearing of an almost 8 foot tall night wearing insanely heavy armor would obviously make the hound know that its gregor. he watched beric get revived after killing him with his own hands so he knows its possible. still probably not enough to get him to leave. hearing that said knight just ripped lancel lannister (my choice for cerseis trial) literally in half shouldnt be enough to get him off the isle either. hearing tha sansa has been captured and is still being blamed for association with tyrion in joffreys murder - that could do it. 

ive got a theory on how sansa could end up in lannister possession but this post is getting long enough. so for anyone who actually read all this, yup, thats my opinion/hope for the hounds role in season 6.

i think the hound will have a very small role in season 6. likely just to be shown as alive and maybe (hopefully) a couple scenes that remind the viewer he wasnt anywhere close to 100% when he fought brienne. imo thats the most important part. it makes absolutely no sense to have the hound get beaten in a sword fight and a fist fight by brienne if hes supposed to take part in what might arguably be the single biggest fight in the series (outside of full scale battles). 

at this point it seems like cleganebowl is all but a certainty. bringing the hound back to not have a major impact would be a huge letdown to fans of the show and books. their fight will very likely take place against cersei or for sansa. i really think its going to be later on, probably season 7, in defense of sansa still being blamed for a part in joffreys murder. but lets look at both possibilities. ill give fair warning, this will probably turn into a big post lol.

fighting in cerseis trial would all but confirm that the hound truly has turned into a religious fanatic after being saved by the elder brother and being a monk on the quiet isle. it would be the only way that hes allowed back into kings landing. without the protection of the faith militant then hes simply an outlaw with a bounty on his head who betrayed his post and king - all while as a member of the kingsguard. thats a bit bigger deal than normal desertion. its not like the hound was well liked before this in the capital either. they let him be disrespectful, condescending and in some cases make his own rules because he was one of the most feared men in westeros. even cersei freaks out when she learns that tyrion plans to have the hound as a commander during blackwater and not staying directly by joffreys side during the battle. the outcome wouldnt really benefit sandor in anyway. i would assume this would be his last fight and redemption in the eyes of the faith. then again, if the hound really is a man of religion now then this benefits him greatly on an emotional level. 

thats the usual, popular theory in terms of cleganebowl but im not buying it as much. it has too many loose ends imo.

- what becomes of the faith militant after cersei is found guilty?

- after all the hype of robert strong, whats the point of having him lose his first fight? 

- does sandor just go back to the quiet isle like none of this happened?

- what role do the tyrells play in all of this?

- does cersei try and burn down kings landing before they can capture her?

- if she is successful at that, doesnt it feel like they are taking the lannisters out of the story a little too early?

- with dany already taking forever to make her move to westeros, whats in it for her to reign in a wasteland of a capital?

- what about tommens status before all of this?

- what role does jaime have to play?

having cersei win her trial, crush the faith militant, keep doing stupid things (like pushing the tyrells even further away) and creating further choas seems like the better option. i dont know. i feel like the more likely action is the hound comes into the fold to defend sansa.

i know martin doesnt give a shit what his readers like but i dont think people would be too happy with the hound being a member of the faith militant. what i think is far more likely is that the hound is trying to be better man or is simply using the quiet isle as a place to heal himself with nothing more behind it than that. we even get a little hint that he might still have that dick attitude in him when we first see him as the gravedigger. when the elder brother is talking to the group about sandor, he conveniently flings a shovel full of dirt in their direction and gets yelled at for it. i could be reaching for an argument here but that doesnt seem like something a newly religious man with a last ditch attempt at redemption would do. that does however seem like something a character whos a dick to everyone he meets would do when he hears other people talking about him but hes not able to talk back. also, the elder brother talks about how they tried to geld stranger but the horse was too violent. if they really wanted to control him, why wouldnt they have the hound keep him calm then do it quickly? what i think is more likely is that they did it without his knowledge and the hound wouldnt cooperate in the process after the failed attempt. this keeps his warhorse, whos known throughout kings landing to have the same temper as the hound (a fricken horse that has a reputation lol), in full strength and ready for further use. a castrated horse would only be good as a pet on the quiet isle for sandor. but stranger the warhorse can help him 'escape' and still fight while riding. again, i completely admit that might be me simply reaching for leverage, but i do think they could be subtle hints that the hound isnt quite ready to settle down yet.

another small hint might be that the hound was also clearing tables (or serving the food, cant remember at the moment) for brienne and the elder brother. if hes out digging graves all day with a bum leg, why would they keep him on his feet after that for something as simple as cleaning up? to me, it seems like sandor is digging graves to keep his strength up and as a way of doing physical therapy (for lack of a better term) to get his leg back up to par. him being the biggest waiter in westeros would serve a purpose of listening in on the elder brother and briennes conversations though, which happen to be about the stark girls hes protected.

we saw him do something like this at the crossroads in (book version, not show). for a little bit he bites on the tickler and pollivers conversation while asking questions about the saltpans and whats going on in kings landing before the fight. 

with all that said, i do think it would take something big to get sandor off the quiet isle. he is still a wanted man whos in the process of healing up. he has nowhere safe to go. (books again) hes even taken advantage of by the farmer who uses him for manual labor then tells him get out, we knew who you were the whole time and we dont want your kind around us anymore. if hes not a newly converted religious fanatic, then why would he care what happens to cersei? other than saying fuck/bigger the queen, he hasnt really had any other notion of hatred towards her. hell, (in the books) there are still a couple times afterwards that we still hear him have a ton of animosity towards tyrion though. unless he is working under the faith militants command, he has 0 reason to fight against cersei. 

he does have reason to fight for sansa though. the elder brother talks about hearing both good and bad deeds from the hound, how oberyn killed gregor with a poisoned spear and things like that. this means that the quiet isle isnt out of the loop by any means from the current events in westeros. hearing of an almost 8 foot tall night wearing insanely heavy armor would obviously make the hound know that its gregor. he watched beric get revived after killing him with his own hands so he knows its possible. still probably not enough to get him to leave. hearing that said knight just ripped lancel lannister (my choice for cerseis trial) literally in half shouldnt be enough to get him off the isle either. hearing tha sansa has been captured and is still being blamed for association with tyrion in joffreys murder - that could do it. 

ive got a theory on how sansa could end up in lannister possession but this post is getting long enough. so for anyone who actually read all this, yup, thats my opinion/hope for the hounds role in season 6.

That's about how I see it going down too. I think Cleganebowl is more likely for the sake of Sansa, not Cersei. It doesn't necessarily have to be for a trial either. Robert Strong could be sent off in pursuit of Sansa... wherever the show decides to put her.

Either way, Religious-Fanatic-Sandor would be a major buzzkill.

As for the Rory sightings, I want to believe, but I can't until I see pictures to prove it.  

Right, I agree that The Hound won't be used in Cersei's trial by combat but I am hoping that the sightings are real and The Hound and Rory are coming back.

I think if he does fight UnGregor (which I think is inevitable in the books) it will be in the service of Sansa. I don't think it will be another trial by combat. I think Cersei is going to hear where Sansa is at (she already knows on the show) and then send UnGregor after her....after UnGregor wipes the floor with Lancel during the trial by combat.

And I really don't see the show making The Hound into a religious fanatic after having him be such good comic relief in season 4. I think he will still be our grumpy Hound, just going forward he will be grumpy Sandor.

My bet is he goes North looking for Sansa (since show Sansa would be widely known to have married Ramsey Bolton with LF as her guardian and Sandor knows that LF betrayed Ned to his death as he was in the throne room when it happened, book and show, so would see the danger) and meets up with Brienne who is doing the same. Book Sandor I suspect will meet up with Brienne when he comes off the QI to clear his name from involvement with the sacking of Saltpans. So the show can bring the two storylines together with a simple chance meeting where the book will likely have a meeting brought on by the BwB. Also, Rory McCann isn't just in Belfast but is staying at the casting hotel so I think it certain that he has rejoined the cast.

My bet is he goes North looking for Sansa (since show Sansa would be widely known to have married Ramsey Bolton with LF as her guardian and Sandor knows that LF betrayed Ned to his death as he was in the throne room when it happened, book and show, so would see the danger) and meets up with Brienne who is doing the same. Book Sandor I suspect will meet up with Brienne when he comes off the QI to clear his name from involvement with the sacking of Saltpans. So the show can bring the two storylines together with a simple chance meeting where the book will likely have a meeting brought on by the BwB. Also, Rory McCann isn't just in Belfast but is staying at the casting hotel so I think it certain that he has rejoined the cast.

i do hope so. 

Sandor will fight in Cleganebowl ONLY if it involves Sansa. He will not go to fight his undead brother on the behalf of the Faith,he wants to forget his past life. But if Sansa is in danger, he will not stand by.

Which makes me think how many people are involved in Sansa's safety mission. The Hound,Brienne,even Jaime...

I always felt that it was weird Jaime never even interacted with either Stark girls,even though he promised their mother to bring them back (or to safety,since she is dead). Maybe when Arya is back in Riverlands (I am sure she will come back there,since Nymeria is in the area), she will meet and interact with Kingslayer. If Cersei gets her hands on Sansa, maybe they will join forces to rescue her... I dunno,speculation.

Arya would be the perfect little valonqar, no?Trained assassin, plenty motivated.

she needs to get back into the game. I will be pleased when she is back in Westeros. Essos is so out of the way, a distraction from the real game story, Westeros. Also, The Hound, I look forward to seeing him back and where he goes.

They hinted that he will come back for Sansa:

"There's plenty worse than me. There are men who like to beat little girls. Men who like to rape them. Saved your sister from some of them."

"You're lying."

"Ask her, if you ever see her again. Ask her who came back for her, when the mob had her on her back. They would have taken her every which way and left her with her throat cut open."

They hinted that he will come back for Sansa:

Where will Sansa be though when he does? Do you think she will end up in King's Landing standing trial for Joff's murder? Or, will he travel North, perhaps with the Vale host to liberate Winterfell because somehow he finds out she is up there?

I don't know what the show will do, but I suspect their proximity in the books matters, they are so close, and they don't have jetpacks in the books. And on the show, they were very near to each other, too, they even had him walk up to her gate.

Unless there's some sort of spoiler, I have my doubts that LF's plan will go off without a hitch, the Vale lords should keep SR and tell LF to kiss off.

I don't know what the show will do, but I suspect their proximity in the books matters, they are so close, and they don't have jetpacks in the books. And on the show, they were very near to each other, too, they even had him walk up to her gate.

Unless there's some sort of spoiler, I have my doubts that LF's plan will go off without a hitch, the Vale lords should keep SR and tell LF to kiss off.

Yeah, how they simply follow Littlefinger, despite his dubious "title" over the Vale is very frustrating. I mean he is an upjumped Lannister man, everyone knows it and the Vale still thinks the Lannisters killed Jon Arryn but Littlefinger has absolute power in the Vale. Atleast in the book, he is spending most of his time tyring to either bribe or blackmail the Vale lords into keeping him there and not kicking him out. It is very vexing.

Archived