R+L=J v.155

Jon Weirgaryen

I disagree with a few of your assertions. I don't think Rhaegar abducted Lyanna in the sense of her going unwillingly -- I think she wanted to be with him. Second, I don't think it would have been foreseeable that running off with Lyanna would set the kingdom into chaos. I don't think Brandon's reckless actions were predictable -- or Aerys's extreme reaction to those actions. I don't think anyone could have predicted that war would result from R&L running off and disappearing.

But I still have not heard your suggestion of what else Rhaegar could have done. Take as given that Elia is unable to have another child -- that Rhaegar believes the world will end if he does not father the three heads of the dragon and he must marry the mother of all three heads because they need to be "dragons" in every sense -- i.e., Targaryans from birth. And he falls in love with Lyanna -- and she falls in love with him and she wants to get out of an engagement to a man who she believes will be a bad husband in her view. So given those facts (if those are the facts -- and we don't know for sure, but accept for this purpose that they are the facts), what are his better options?

1) He just ran off with one of the most important bargaining chips in a multi-kingdom marriage alliance. Only a fool wouldn't foresee that this would cause chaos. Certainly someone could have predicted war would result of this.

Brandon's reckless actions? You mean his retaliatory recklessness in response to Rhaegar's (and possibly Lyanna's) recklessness?

2) If he really believes that he needs to have a third child to complete the prophecy and save the world, he badly needs help.. Help that I don't think he can get in Westeros, unfortunately. And this also makes him an egomaniac and arrogant.

I am also surprised there are so many rhaegar supporters and admirers who tried to make him correct in everything.
In the board of my country, there are full of rhaegar's haters.

I wouldn't have supported him had I realized there was such "concrete evidence" that he was madly in love with Lyanna, or doing the realm a favor by fulfilling this prophecy. Keep in mind, fulfilling the prophecy meant an extended honeymoon with Lyanna after entering into the first polygamist marriage Westeros had seen in 300 years.. and neglecting the chaos he directly caused. It doesn't matter if he meant to cause it or knew he would, the fact of the matter is he just didn't care.

That is, if we're to believe this love and prophecy stuff.

Sure, and three or more weeks after the fact.  What are they going to do?  They are isolated.  They are interested in keeping hidden.  The only thing that is reasonable is to continue and hope for the best.  With Aerys as a father, that likely is a bad thing, but nothing else is better. 

Translation:

Keep on humpin'

:smileysex:

And if that's the route he deemed best to accomplish this task, he's an idiot.

A realm divided and quarrelsome to this very day.. But thankfully Jons there. :lol:

Take a step back and look at how simplistic an biased this theory is.
-Rhaegar had to abduct Lyanna, help catapult the realm into chaos (if you deny his enormous part in that there's nothing further to discuss), all because Jonhadtobeborn

Oh and they loved eachother.. So much so that he had to abandon his wife who bore his children. All because of one tournament at Harrenhal.. And maybe some communications with her that we don't know about but the rest of the theory is so lock tight that it's basically canon.

This is nonsense. Jon may very we'll be a legitimate Targaryen, but this love story theory proposed by so many in this thread is so damn cheesy and twisted. If this is what happened, Rhaegar is a vain fool.

Perhaps he handled some things poorly, they say. Saving the world will be his ultimate legacy, they say. :lmao:

LOL! Well opinions galore as they say... but feel free to open a thread of Rhaegar being a dick for the hundredth time and maybe more luck and success to you to convince others compare to us here in this thread.  ^_^

I am also surprised there are so many rhaegar supporters and admirers who tried to make him correct in everything.
In the board of my country, there are full of rhaegar's haters.

They're not reading the story right...  :P

“Prince Rhaegar’s prowess was unquestioned... He did it well, for he did everything well. That was his nature.”

“When the day comes that you raise your banners, half of Westeros will be with you,” Whitebeard promised. “Your brother Rhaegar is still remembered, with great love.”

“Those same high lords who abandoned my father to the Kingslayer and bent the knee to Robert the Usurper?”
“Even those who bent their knees may yearn in their hearts for the return of the dragons.”

LOL! Well opinions galore as they say... but feel free to open a thread of Rhaegar being a dick for the hundredth time and maybe more luck and success to you to convince others compare to us here in this thread.  ^_^

I've never opened a thread about Rhaegar being a dick and I'm not sure what to make of the bolded part..?

I've never opened a thread about Rhaegar being a dick and I'm not sure what to make of the bolded part..?

Just a passing thought from your previous response.  I mean, we don't want you to cringe to death with all this talk about Rhaegar and Lyanna being in love and all.  :P  :D  

love love love Rhaeger love Lyanna love love love  :wub:

Just a passing thought from your previous response.  I mean, we don't want you to cringe to death with all this talk about Rhaegar and Lyanna being in love and all.  :P  :D 

love love love Rhaegar love Lyanna love love love   :wub:

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

:ack: :ack:

They're not reading the story right...  :P

Prince Rhaegars prowess was unquestioned... He did it well, for he did everything well. That was his nature.

When the day comes that you raise your banners, half of Westeros will be with you, Whitebeard promised. Your brother Rhaegar is still remembered, with great love.

Those same high lords who abandoned my father to the Kingslayer and bent the knee to Robert the Usurper?

Even those who bent their knees may yearn in their hearts for the return of the dragons.

I am pretty sure the translator did a great job for the book. So yes, we are reading the story as right as you. :)

Oh, only one guy I met on my board supported rhaegar, he said:
Have you ever been in love?
Rhaegar just did what every man wants to do but most of the time has no power or guts to do: pursue true love and escape from an arranged marriage.
Then he said that himself did the same thing but he was better than rhaegar because he did not have children at that moment.

Archived