Will Jon ride a ice dragon?

DaSh!t

GRRM has mentioned before that in Westeros, there were once dragons like we once had dinosaurs. Valaryia is the last known place to have them and breed them until it was only the Targaryens on Dragonstone, then King's Landing etc. The Cold "preserves" as Maester Aemon noted and I am anxious to see what is potentially in or under the Wall.

Personally, I love the idea of an ice dragon, it brings symmetry to my idea of balance between ice and fire.   Though it's true that Targs are called dragons let's not lose sight of the fact that there are real fire breathing dragons in the story as well.    Prior to AGOT they were thought to be extinct for over 100 years.   All this historical mention of ice dragons only lends credence to the idea that they may well exist or return to existence before this song is sung.   Honestly, I'd really like to see Bran ride that bad boy...if there is to be only 1 ice dragon and 1 ice dragon rider.   

The idea of an ice dragon is very cool but I don't think there is enough time for hatching and growing.If Jon is going to ride a dragon,it will be Viserion or Rhaegal.

I believe the the Ice Dragon is 'contained' under the wall. Frozen and preserved. From previous posters and references in the book I believe Joruman's Horn will wake the Ice Dragon and the wall will fall.

Jon is the PTWP for the North and will ride it.  The Ice Dragon is the magic that is bound in the wall.  We only think the Walkers are bad because that's the perspective we've been given.  Is it possible that the wall was built to protect the land of always winter? 

My daily walk out of the box!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Others are the bad guys. There still might be Ice Dragons but if anybody will be riding them it will be the Others,

They seems to have mastery over Ice even more than the Valyrian's had mastery over fire.

It is possible that Jon could ride one though like that girl from another GRRM story did but i think it more likely if he is going to be a Dragon Rider like i hope he is it will be like @King Endymion Targaryen said and be Viserion or Rhaegal.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of an Ice Dragon but I just find it 100% unlikely. 

Ice magic already has so much at its disposal for supernatural threats I dont think it needs to borrow from the Fire Side of things. 

Ice magic has  Ice Humanoids, Giant Ice Spiders, Undead Zombie Army of humans and animals (That bear must of been terrifying), And the Cold appears to be an entity / force in its self.

Dany is a fire giant; possibly Surtr with her dragons taking the place of a flaming sword.  She is going to burn and rape the realm accidentally when she lands.  Dany doesn't think very far ahead or understand the deeper consequences of her actions.  

If the ice giants (Others) are one side, she is the other, ice and fire destroying the realm until both are defeated by balance and regular humans.  She'll cross the Narrow Sea with her new Dothraki army, who will rape and pillage because that's what they do.  

An ice dragon would only exist to stop Dany and her dragons from consuming rhe 7K in flames.  Jon takes an Other to wife in exchange for an alliance strong enough to combat Dothraki and dragons.  Ice dragon would then become a puddle and Jon locked in his new oath, not really happy, just doing what needed to be done to save the world.

If Dany and Jon are twins, just different sides to the same coin, I could see Jon riding an ice dragon because he'd be the ice half and Dany the fire half.  Can't have fire riding fire with Dany and ice riding fire with Jon.

• 3 weeks later...

imo, Jon is going to ride one of the three dragons. The ice dragon would be awesome, but there's three living dragons out there and two of them need riders. Also, there's a good chance the ice dragon is just a story, which I believe. 

Agree with you, Azor Ahai is Dany not Jon. Jon is TPTWP, it is known. 

TPTWP and AAR are the same person. Those other dragons as Rhaegal and Viserion might not need another riders.

I love the idea of an Ice Dragon but I just find it 100% unlikely. 

Ice magic already has so much at its disposal for supernatural threats I dont think it needs to borrow from the Fire Side of things. 

Ice magic has  Ice Humanoids, Giant Ice Spiders, Undead Zombie Army of humans and animals (That bear must of been terrifying), And the Cold appears to be an entity / force in its self.

Exactly.  And personally, I think Ice Dragons would just cheapen the story.  They are not mentioned *anywhere* in the story except one small blurb by Bran (talking about an Old Nan story) and once in TWOIAF.  That's it.  Bringing in an Ice Dragon now, this late in the story, would be a Deus-ex Machina and would cheapen the aura and allure of Danys dragons.

Exactly.  And personally, I think Ice Dragons would just cheapen the story.  They are not mentioned *anywhere* in the story except one small blurb by Bran (talking about an Old Nan story) and once in TWOIAF.  That's it.  Bringing in an Ice Dragon now, this late in the story, would be a Deus-ex Machina and would cheapen the aura and allure of Danys dragons.

I don’t think it would necessarily cheapen the story, I actually think it would be pretty awesome.  I think there are so many things that the present day occupants of the seven kingdoms have forgotten about their past, magic, the wall, etc., that I could see a lot of merit to the wall coming down and releasing all kinds of new stuff that have been forgotten over the years.

I can see where it would not sit well with some people, but I personally think the wall is coming down, and something very unpredicted is going to happen when that happens.

I don’t think it would necessarily cheapen the story, I actually think it would be pretty awesome.  I think there are so many things that the present day occupants of the seven kingdoms have forgotten about their past, magic, the wall, etc., that I could see a lot of merit to the wall coming down and releasing all kinds of new stuff that have been forgotten over the years.

I can see where it would not sit well with some people, but I personally think the wall is coming down, and something very unpredicted is going to happen when that happens.

I don't think The Wall is coming down at all personally.  I think this whole story is a giant suspense-thriller cooked up by GRRM, and at the end of the day, the NW will remain, the Wall will remain, and The Others will not invade.   I don't think GRRM wants to have a final conclusion on *anything* in Westeros, and having the Wall come down etc will drastically change and alter the world in a way I just don't see GRRM doing.

I think the Wall will fall in the metaphorical sense.  Jons stabbing was the final catalyst that breaks the magic protecting the wall.

"He's some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night's Watch stay true, that's what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wilding girl.

I think the Wall will fall in the metaphorical sense.  Jons stabbing was the final catalyst that breaks the magic protecting the wall.

"He's some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night's Watch stay true, that's what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wilding girl.

Great point.  I never understood how the others could have such a strong control over all things ice, but could not get through the wall, which is made of ice.  Maybe it has to do directly with the loyalty of the NW(??).  Which now is officially gone...  

• 2 months later...

I think Jon will battle an ice dragon when he rides Rhaegal. And I don't think Any of these prophecies have to mean one person, the clue here is "The Dragon has three heads" yes this may refer to three Dragon riders and the three sides of this character but it may also mean that TPTWP and AA are three people. I don't want it to just be Jon or Dany even though it would be great since Jon was raised as a Bastard and became Lord commander of TNW and Dany was raised to essentially be sold by Viserys so he could get an army and she ended up bringing dragons back to the world, conquered part of Essos abolished slavery and she is going going to unite all Khalasars under the mother of mountains which could make her the stallion who mounts the world and actually the mother of mountains. If anything her story could be much better and the fact that she's a girl is even better as nobody expected the prophecy to relate to a girl. 

It would be great if it's Dany, Jon and Tyrion they're all linked and have all been saviours already. 

Edit: I think Bran will ride the ice dragon maybe by warging. Still not sure if Bloodraven and CoTF are working with the others, I guess someone has to go over to the dark side right? So possibly Bran

I think that Jon may not ride an ice dragon, but there is an ice dragon and his name is ... Winter!

This is from an other thread:

There is an ice dragon called Winter. The original theory is poseted here: http://endgameofthrones.com/theory-links/ by Daendrew, I don’t wish to take credit for, I just want to think through the implications.

1, The seemingly boring Stark motto “Winter is coming!” refers to the ice dragon and not to the whether! It is a warning about Winter the ice dragon and not a memo about putting more wood on the fireplace. It has a different ring to it, right? Kind of jawdropping idea, et least for me when I first realized it.

2, The name winterfell refers to the place where Winter the ice dragon fall from the sky, and probably still trapped in the hot pools of Winterfell.

3, There is some magic keeping these pools warm (that is my idea) to trap Winter, this magic is probably related to the Starks, hence the “there always must be a Stark at Winterfell” condition.

4, The current snowstorm around Winterfell is not a strange coincidence. A Stark is missing, the ponds are cooling, WINTER is coming!

5, “The Winds of Winter” refers to the ice dragon and not to the whether! As pointed out by by Daendrew  “the” refers to a definite noun, the winds of winter refers to Winter taking wings: Winter is flying!

6, There could be other ice dragons in the caves of the COTF as pointed out elsewhere (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/138355-ice-dragons-in-cotf-cave/). These ice dragons might be awekend by Winter.

7, We know that there will be a second “dance”. A dance with only Dany’s three dragon sounds a bit boring but ice dragons vs. Dany’s dragons? Drogon vs. Winter? Now, that would be a dance!

Another idea, the ice dragon is...Jon himself.

I find the idea of an actual ice dragon to be distasteful. Unless the Others have some magical ice reptiles in their army along with giant ice spiders, then it's plausible. But for an ice dragon to exist and Jon to ride one, just no.

On 1/9/2016 at 6:42 AM, Lord Friendzone said:

TPTWP and AAR are the same person. Those other dragons as Rhaegal and Viserion might not need another riders.

Says who? Both Jon and Dany fit the criteria for both AA reborn and TPTWP. 

Archived