Will Jon ride a ice dragon?

DaSh!t

The fact that there is a star constellation called Ice Dragon, represents that at one point they existed. Most constellations are based on stories and the characters in them. I think the important part is that it is an ICE dragon because they had fire dragons, so why not just have it be a Dragon constellation.

As for the part about Jon riding it or the others controlling things like ice spiders actually is more of the Night King controlling them through warging. Given the theory that the Night King used to be a stark, it is possible that some of the Stark male heirs can warg, would explain on controlling dragons, spiders, etc and how the Night King was about to see and mark Bran.

I cannot tell you how much I would love it if there was an actual ice dragon hibernating within the wall that comes raging out causing the wall to fall and it choses Jon to pair bond with and together they ride off into the Dawn sky to fight... someone.

But, alas, I don't think it will happen. I think Jon is the proverbial dragon within the ice. Dany went through her dragon puberty earlier than Jon did with her Drogo fire. Jon's rebirth will be different in mechanics, but when it happens, the man will be born.

I don't think the war will be between the humans and White Walkers in the end (not in the books at least). I see Jon (helped by Bran) striking a truce with the Others and the fighting against Dany who will want to exterminate the Others and reinstall a rigid Targ led feodal system in Westeros. It is known (like 0.05% sure)

Jon will ride a dragon, Patchface said so. Ice dragon or fire dragon doesn't matter. Hi might ride both of them.

The prophesy can be interpreted this way:

Malegorn: Lord Snow, who will lead this ranging?

Jon: Are you offering yourself, ser?
Malegorn: Do I look so foolish?
Patchface: I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

Jon will lead the army. He will die and reborn. Using his skinwarging and dragonrider's skills Jon will ride a dragon, and Manderlys will somehow announce Starks' return.

• 1 month later...

Fun Fact: In GRRM's short story "The Ice Dragon", the final battle is between three fire dragons and one ice dragon. The ice dragon dies, but it destroys the three along with it.

Now this story is not set in the world of ASOIAF, but the ice dragon in that story is described in the same way as the Ice Dragons in the WOIAF:

far larger than the dragons of Valyria. Ice dragons are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal, vast translucent wings, and breath of cold.

The Ice dragon in the short story, after it's death, becomes a cold pool of water.  Similar to how WOIAF tells us that ice dragons melt when slain.

For those interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/3jffjp/spoilers_all_exploring_grrms_short_story_the_ice/. Though the story is not canon, it might be useful as a hint for ASOIAF, considering it's the same author.

I find it very interesting that one ice dragon in that story is sufficient to destroy three fire dragons (and the fact that there were three fire dragons, just like ASOIAF, seems oddly significant too.)

With all the connections between Jon and an ice dragon, it could be indicative of a conflict b/w Jon and Dany.

No.

Dany will die and begin a second life inside of what Drogon becomes. When she does Drogon will be reborn as a new mega dragon, Balerion like. Jon will ride that.

Jon is the ice dragon, the significance being that fire consumes and cold preserves. Dany will not be able to birth a child, she will keep miscarrying, the fires of her womb consuming other men's children. Jon's child though, due to him being the ice dragon and the cold preserving, will survive long enough inside her fiery womb for her to give birth.

Jon being an ice dragon is more likely. Dany is a dragon because she is a targaryen, but if R+L=J is to be believed jon is also a dragon who happens to also be king of the north (By Robbs command) or king of winter ie ice. He is both ice and fire hence the song is his song.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/31/2015 at 6:20 PM, DaSh!t said:

On three occasions in ASOS and three in aDwD, Jon mentions the Ice Dragon and we all know GRRM loves his foreshadowing.

There are 11 occurrence total about the ice dragon being mentioned.

Series Book Chapter  Chapter   Name  Chapter POV    Occurrence QuoteFirst Occurrence Only ASOIAF ACOK 35 Bran V Bran Stark 1 Look for the ICE DRAGON, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye." ASOIAF ASOS 24 Bran II Bran Stark 1 When they lost their way, as happened once or twice, they need only wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up in the sky for the ICE DRAGON. ASOIAF ASOS 26 Jon IV Jon Snow 1 Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the ICE DRAGON, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. ASOIAF ASOS 41 Jon VI Jon Snow 1 Jon searched the sky until he found the ICE DRAGON, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black. ASOIAF ASOS 46 Samwell III Samwell Tarly 1 By day he took directions from the sun, and on clear nights they could follow the ICE DRAGON's tail, though they hadn't traveled much by night since the second horse had died. ASOIAF ASOS 63 Davos VI Davos Seaworth 1 The clouds hid most of the ICE DRAGON, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north. ASOIAF ASOS 64 Jon IX Jon Snow 1 it felt like walking down the gullet of an ICE DRAGON. ASOIAF ADWD 35 Jon VII Jon Snow 1 The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy. ASOIAF ADWD 39 Jon VIII Jon Snow 1 The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an ICE DRAGON and as twisty as a serpent. ASOIAF ADWD 49 Jon X Jon Snow 1 The snowfall was light today, a thin scattering of flakes dancing in the air, but the wind was blowing from the east along the Wall, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan used to tell. D&E DE 2 The Sworn Sword Duncan The Tall 1 But there were clouds to the north, and the blue eye of the ICE DRAGON was lost to him, the blue eye that pointed north.

In the Ice Dragon book, after defeating the Fire Dragons, the Ice Dragon turns into a pond of cold water. Is the water (ice dragons pond) at the godswood in Winterfell?

Im not convenced Jon is Azor Ahai because Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. Ive always believed this was meant for Dany being reborn as Azor Ahai when she woke her dragons from stone using khal drogo funeral pyre.

Will Jon ride a ice dragon instead of a fire dragon?? Will his ice dragon fight the fire dragons of Danys?? (after Danys dragons kill the Others)

All thoughts are welcome!!

Jon is the ice dragon, the product of the "great wolf" and the "man wreathed in flames." 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No. There won't be such a creature like an actual Ice Dragon. I strongly believe that the Others will kill one of Danys Dragons and resurrect him as a Whight-Dragon. And since the Others are Ice-Creatures and strongly related to Ice, this Zombie-Dragon will breathe Ice. So it will be kind of an Ice-Dragon, but not one that exists somewhere naturally, but one that is made by magic pf the Others. A very dangerous creature. A weapon of the Others, not of Mankind. Therefore not ridden by Jon.

I don't know who or what will ride it. Probably no one in particular, and the Others will control him just like they control "regular" whights. Very likely by their way of warging. The endgame could be, that Bran will finally gain control over it by warging, thus contributing to the defeat of the Others. 

As to the part that Jon needs, as a half Stark, something Ice-Related: He already has. He is called Ghost. 

Archived